• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Machine Gunner Class

The tracers should stay, it just does not feel like a MG without them. In DOD the MGs are very easy to spot, but they are also extremely lethal and accurate, in RO you can just shoot from behind a corner with your rifle and the MG'er can only spray at you and hope to get a lucky hit. Maybe the MG should give double or triple the amount of supression blur and have a more accurate first shot. This problem is very clear with the MG42, the russian MG is a lot better.

The MG34 with single shots is awesome, but I consider it cheating because of the lack of tracers and I always pick MG42. It is silly to have an MG that is effective only if you use it like a semi-automatic rifle. I would say that the single shot must go.

Also, have you noticed that the MG42 still shoots a few pixels to the left?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think that you are right Esko6, the problems with the MG class are not as pronounced with the Russian MG. It is still there, but not as noticeable.

Also, Speaking of Danzig, a Machine Gun in the window, shooting across the river to the Russian windows would be very deadly to anybody in those windows, but what you see is several quck leanouts by the Russian bolter and he takes out the MG, NOT VERY REALISTIC. The increased suppression might take care of this along with more accuracy as you would not have to rely on some luck to get your shot right where his head will lean out. The bolter however does not have to rely on luck at all, his shot will be true.

The sound of a '42 alone would have negitive morale effects to those who faced this weapon...I am just looking to replicate that somehow in game.

Upvote 0
@Esko6 tracers were meant as an advantage and they are still today. As it stands now they are no advantage in the game, but rater a shoot me sign.
If something does not work soldiers tend to not use it in the field as their lives depend on it.

Just interested: Have you fired a MG to know that without tracers it does not feel right anymore?

Upvote 0
The tracers could be useful if it was possible to raise your head. In the clown car I often aim with the tracers. And yes, I have used every tank and gun in the game so my personal opinions are more valid.

The thing I tried to say was that tracers are hardly usefull in RO. First thing is everyone can see them easily - no matter what position one has - and they move very slow - no matter if it is night or day.

Well I'm not sure if tracers were really that bad back then, but the ones we used were barely visible during the day.
And the MG feeled like a MG ;) even though we did not use tracers all the time - because we put them alltogether so that it looked better :D .
For aiming your MG2 helps normally a lot, trying to direct the fire to the target, if you do not hit, but I think that hardly will happen half-decent in a game.

Upvote 0
Just interested: Have you fired a MG to know that without tracers it does not feel right anymore?

I've had training on the M240B 7.62mm machine gun. The tracers look different depending on the angle you are looking at them. When viewing them from the side, they look more like bolts of light. From the firing position, they look more like glowing dots moving away from you.

Whoever said a bipod makes a stable platform, like resting a rifle, has definately never fired a bipod machine gun. :)

Upvote 0
A bipod is actually mutch more stable than without a bipod. Without a bipod you will rest your hands, not the gun itself and your hands arent made of steel.

mg74-03.jpg

Upvote 0
Uh...no. Actually in WWII the weapon that caused the most allied casualties was the German 80mm mortar.

most people havnt been wound or killed by a bullet actualy, thats right. But still, the MG at least in german infantry squads, has been one of the most dangerous and feared weapons, of course, no wonder as it made something about 70% of firepower from every squad, but well, that is not realy a miracle, for a army just equiped with bolt rifles mainly.

Upvote 0