• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Future of Tanking! (or maybe not?)

The Future of Tanking! (or maybe not?)

• Heavy Tanks (Tiger, KV-1)

Votes: 36 23.1%
  • Self Propelled Guns / Tank Destroyers (StuG-III, SU-76)

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • Light Tanks (P-II, P-38(t), T-60, T-26)

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Other Vehicles (Motorbikes, Armoured Cars etc...)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Japanese and American Tanks (Type 95, Type 97, Stuart, Sherman)

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • More tweaking on current tanks (better balance, bug-fixing, add levelling and/or progression)

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Forget tanks, focus on infantry

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters
Well, post weekend its looking like people generally want SPGs. Somewhat surprised heavy tanks were not top, and there seems to be more demand for RS material before them.

Will possibly bump this back up after the release of the tanks in the patch to see what people feel then if they are on the fence about more armoured stuff.

Just a couple of quick disclaimers before someone says anything:
1) I am not Tripwire, I never will be Tripwire and this poll is made by a simple player and forum user. This poll is in no way official so if an announcement for heavy or light tanks pops up or that there will be no more tanks, that is because this poll has nothing to do with official announcements. If someone from Tripwire or AMG wants to close this and make their own in the future, there will be no beef with me.
2) The vehicles I have suggested are simply that; suggestions. I

Upvote 0
With two Tanks and a transport vehicle on each team the vehicles are quite well done content wise now. But I think now they should be more implemented into maps and gameplay with infantery and polished & balanced out. Maybe add a panzerfaust or more ways to fight against tanks. More variety. but yeah. Polish polish polish.

But other than that. Focus on infantery.

Upvote 0
With two Tanks and a transport vehicle on each team the vehicles are quite well done content wise now. But I think now they should be more implemented into maps and gameplay with infantery and polished & balanced out. Maybe add a panzerfaust or more ways to fight against tanks. More variety. but yeah. Polish polish polish.

But other than that. Focus on infantery.

So to sum in up.... do everything?

Upvote 0
Adding heavy tanks would complete the rotation of light, medium, heavy and make the game "complete", tank-wise. SPGs would be unique and excellent for infantry support, but I'd say after heavy tanks.

Were there SU-76's in Stalingrad? I don't mind if the devs bend history a bit, and any vehicle is a welcome addition. If not the SU-76, then there is always the T-26 variant, the SU-T-26/SU-76P for the historical authenticity.

Light tank wise, the T-60 and the Panzer II would match up perfectly. Both have 20mm Autocannons, and both are small and fast.

Upvote 0
Were there SU-76's in Stalingrad? I don't mind if the devs bend history a bit, and any vehicle is a welcome addition. If not the SU-76, then there is always the T-26 variant, the SU-T-26/SU-76P for the historical authenticity.
The original SU-76 production started in December of 1942, but I don't know if it was used in Stalingrad. The tank people nowadays tend to call SU-76 is really a later version correctly called SU-76M and it wasn't even in production during the battle of Stalingrad. Soviets produced a few hundred SU-76 before it was replaced with SU-76M in spring of 1943, which had the production quantity of 14,000.
Of course there are maps from later stages of the war, so SU-76M could be used in those maps with a good consience.

Light tank wise, the T-60 and the Panzer II would match up perfectly. Both have 20mm Autocannons, and both are small and fast.
I think T-60 was most likely used in Stalingrad, because they had a factory producing those tanks in there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've already voiced my support for armoured cars, but I think that light tanks would also be lovely – and make a great reason to shift into Barbarossa and the general 1941 setting.

As far as the Stalingrad time period goes, Tripwire at this time no longer feels maps we add need to be locked into the Stalingrad time period.

Well, the fact that the game shouldn't be considered from the viewpoint of just the Battle of Stalingrad has been clear since the first official contest map releases (with maps like Bridges and Winterwald which simply couldn't have happened in that region: wrong landscape/flora).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bugger, may of deleted my original post on accident.

My discussion was coming from the fact that I don't often utilize the tanks in Red Orchestra, but rather would like to see an increase in Infantry Based Vehicles.

I want to see some more love done to the Halftracks, I've said it before but at the moment they feel a bit tacked on and gimmicky...

Silly stuff like German Machinegunner does not kneel down/take cover when reloading?

Cant manually reload each magazine, have to wait for entire drum to be expended?

Bugged Speed - SDFKZ 251 is stuck on 10km/h?

Most importantly
Lack of Halftracks on Maps which could use them for tough objectives
Example - Commissars House, Pavlovs House, Myshkova River, Bridges of Dzurizhina (Modded version adds some - Much Better)

It just seems to me that all the time and man hours spent in making such an awesome vehicle type is being wasted due to the lack of availability on maps and are not viewed as an important asset for capping objectives or getting squads to excellent spots both quickly and safely.

Instead we have them on maps like Barashka & Rakowice in which they are just spammed (Too Many) - ( Too Many tanks on Barashka as well) and no one truly knows their purpose and uses them properly.

Hell... you can even watch your character change gears!
Anyway I know this thread is mainly about Tanks, but I do feel that Halftracks should be shown more love... and hopefully contribute to a better combined-arms feeling we get from Red Orchestra.

I DO WANT TO SEE SELF PROPELLED GUNS THOUGH! :D:D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0