• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Future of Tanking! (or maybe not?)

The Future of Tanking! (or maybe not?)

• Heavy Tanks (Tiger, KV-1)

Votes: 36 23.1%
  • Self Propelled Guns / Tank Destroyers (StuG-III, SU-76)

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • Light Tanks (P-II, P-38(t), T-60, T-26)

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Other Vehicles (Motorbikes, Armoured Cars etc...)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Japanese and American Tanks (Type 95, Type 97, Stuart, Sherman)

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • More tweaking on current tanks (better balance, bug-fixing, add levelling and/or progression)

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Forget tanks, focus on infantry

Votes: 14 9.0%

• Total voters

Scum82

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Sorry if this thread has been made a thousand times before.

This may be jumping the gun a little considering the P-III and T-70 are only in beta, but I've been thinking (as many others have possibly also) what would Tripwire / AMG add next if they were to add more tanks? I know they appear to be open to suggestion so I guess I'd make a thread to see what others thought.

I'm tying up one or two tank types (Heavy, Light, SPG etc...) under the presumption that if they were to add an Axis one an Allies one would be also coming and vice-versa. Also if I've missed anything essential that my half-spurge brain has forgotten, slap me in this thread for my stupidity.

EDIT: When voting ask yourself which tank type you want in game the most, try not to see it where voting for something otherwise would be good to "balance" the results. If you want heavy tanks more than anything, don't vote light tanks just to show that more people have love for them. I'm sure some people would like light tanks in the game a lot, they would just prefer SPGs etc...

Heavy Tanks (Tiger, KV-1)
Tiger Tank
KV-1
Going to guess these will be the popular choice because, well, TIGER TANKS! I'm sure there are lots of people out there who want to drive these big, slow monsters about.
Both of these tanks would add options for mappers to make maps more varied then they currently are due to the lack of choices in armoured stuff. Maps with a small number of tanks (e.g. Red October) there could be one side with 2 medium tanks and the other with a single heavy tank.
Historically the KV-1 is certainly plausible at this era, the Tiger is just plausible I guess, correct me if I'm wrong. Also I think Tripwire also bought Capt Obvious' Tiger model, so I guess they have that at least.
Downside is that the Anti-Tank infantry would be nigh on useless in the face of them, would really need other tanks or SPGs to take them out.

Self Propelled Guns / Tank Destroyers (StuG-III, SU-76)
Stug III
SU-76
While I can't imagine this would be the sexiest choice for everyone, the inclusion of SPGs would be interesting considering their ranged functionality and the fact they can only shoot where they face. I personally feel SPGs to be a logical choice due to their real life large quantities (think the StuG-III was the most widely produced German armoured vehicle) and, possibly, the fact the game now has both chassis in to a degree (can the P-III and T-70 be refit code wise for these vehicles?).
SU-76 would also be interesting as it had an open back. Not only would it's rear be open to attack via enemy tanks, but also basic infantry. Plus a silly opportunity to have an achievement for throwing a grenade into the back of one ;)
Downside would be that it still leaves the Germans in a perpetual state of only having medium tanks.

Light Tanks (P-II, P-38(t), T-60, T-26)
Panzer II
P-38(t)
T-60
T-26
I know the Russians just got the T-70, but that currently leaves the Germans with simply a lot of medium stuff and nothing else. That's kind of funny as, according to my reading, during the invasion of Russia Germany still used lots and lots of light tanks still. I'm not sure about how many P-IIs and P-38(t)s were used at Stalingrad, but I'm sure there were enough of them left over. Same goes for the T-26s use in Stalingrad, but I know the Russians had a LOT of them, so I guess there were a few kicking about.
Gameplay wise they would be similar to heavy tanks in adding more choice to mappers, the P-II and T-60's cannon would change things around a bit (more than just single shot, explosive cannons) plus they could be interesting for the Anti-Tank class as P-IIs and T-26s would be ideal cannon fodder for PzBs and the PTRS. I'm sure that would make a number of people happy.
Downside being that most of these tanks were out-of-date and, as such, possibly not as enticing as a Tiger, StuG-III or something meatier.

Other Vehicles (Motorbikes, Armoured Cars etc...)

The troop carriers did show how some non-tank related vehicles can change things up a bit and possibly even saved the game for many people. Would something non-tanklike be a better choice than more tanks? Motorbikes, BA-64s, bicycles, rollerblades? Suggest away.

Japanese and American Tanks (Type 95, Type 97, Stuart, Sherman)
Type 95 (HaGo)
Type 97 (ChiHa)
M3 Stuart
M4 Sherman
Throwing this in because I guess it would be interesting to see, mainly because I want to roll about in a Ha-Go giggling to myself, but I can't see this happening due to the potential imbalance between the Japanese and American tech, unless the Type 95s can Banzai charge or Japanese engineers can hurl explosives silly distances. While I can't see this happening, it would be nice one day.

More tweaking on current tanks (better balance, bug-fixing, add levelling and/or progression)

More stuff is all well and good, but maybe you want the currently existing stuff to be fixed up a bit more. I'm not aware of any major bugs, but I' sure someone out there can find stuff.
Also while the concept of levelling and progress is possibly abhorrent to people on forums I'm sure the silent majority would enjoy that. Plus maybe for IOM or whatnot there could be short barrel versions of P-IVs or P-IVs with the skirt armour etc... I know there were some models made by the Vehicle mod team before things... exploded, so I guess that material is out there somewhere if someone is willing to pass it on / sell it to Tripwire and AMG? Can also imagine just changing things up on existing stuff would be relatively easy.

Forget tanks, focus on infantry (I HATE COMBINED ARMS AND TANKS!)

Tanks are not for everyone and some people out there possibly wish they would go away. While I'm willing to take a bet they will not go away, I guess a focus on other factors on the infantry side would be more appealing to many.

THERE ARE OTHER PLANS (I work for Tripwire / AMG and I know more than you could ever know)

I am but a thought within a mind beyond my comprehension. Not a choice I admit, but I'm sure if this is all hot air someone from Tripwire will come along and squash this thread.

Obviously there is the potential nothing may come of this due to the cost of making these vehicles compared to the income they would generate, but its possibly worth seeing what people want.
Extreme cynicism, both realistic and unrealistic, is fully understood also.

Last edited:
Just pointing out that the Stug and SU share alot in common with the new tanks being added. So if players like them, and they do well, there may be an obvious step forward.

But as I've said before, we have many plans that range from grand to small. And which ones we decide to pursue largely is dependent on the community (both in terms of feedback and sales).

Upvote 0
Voted armoured cars. These vehicles are probably some of the most under-represented WWII vehicles, despite the fact that they were very common (they made more BA-64's than T-70's, for example).

They would fit perfectly into the scale of RO2 combat, and the kind of maps that this game really shines on.

Upvote 0
Just noticed I did not set an end date for this, which is silly.

Just pointing out that the Stug and SU share alot in common with the new tanks being added. So if players like them, and they do well, there may be an obvious step forward.

Ah, was hoping that was true. While I wont hold Tripwire / AMG to account for it (though someone will online no doubt) would that mean theoretically converting the P-III and T-70 into their SPG equivalents be easier than building, for example, a P-II or a KV-1?

Jank said:
I'd say the SPGs (StuG IIIC or G, Su76) are the natural addition to an infantry-centric game like this.

My thoughts also. I like the idea of heavy and light tanks, but SPGs seem like a natural addition considering the original intended use of a StuG.

Upvote 0
Honestly, i would like to see tanks would change the gameplay the most, i.e, heavy tanks and SPG (seing as we already have medium tanks and soon will have light tanks). Although as fpr your suggestion about the Tiger and the KV-1, I personally feel a tiger and a KV-2 would be a better choice, but thats just my idiot opinion.

Upvote 0
- Stug III.
- Panzer II
- Kfz 13 with mg
- Sdkfz 221 with mg
- Sdkfz 250.

- not a SU 76 but : Why not a SU 122 ? SU 122
- T 60
- BT 7
- Ba 20
- Ba 64
- m3 half track for soviet.

- Japanese Halftrack - Type 1 Ho-Ha

- riding on tank
- Add experience for tank and vehicle

Voted armoured cars. These vehicles are probably some of the most under-represented WWII vehicles, despite the fact that they were very common (they made more BA-64's than T-70's, for example).

Yep. And beside ba 64 there are also Kfz 13 Sdkfz 221 and Ba 20 who were most common in early period war and middle war period.
It would be good to see armored cars. Kfz 13 Sdkfz 221 and Ba 20 and Ba 64.

While I wont hold Tripwire / AMG to account for it (though someone will online no doubt) would that mean theoretically converting the P-III and T-70 into their SPG equivalents be easier than building, for example, a P-II or a KV-1?

I just add we can also we can theoretically converting the Pz III and Pz IV in amphibious panzer.

And amphibious tanks should be welcome for RS ...but not only for RO 2 also.
They exist in German and in Russian version.

For Soviet :
T 37 amphibious
T 38 amphibious
T 40 amphibious

For Germans :
Tauchpanzer Panzer III amphibious
Tauchpanzer Panzer IV amphibious
Panzer II mit Schwimmk

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The original SU-76 (sometimes called SU-12) would be an interesting thing to see. It wasn't much produced, but it would fit in last months of the battle of Stalingrad. It also wouldn't be as dangerous to it's crew as the later SU-76M, because it didn't have an open backside. Although SU-76M was a lot more produced, it shouldn't be used in maps located in Stalingrad, because it's production began months after the fall of German 6th Army.

Upvote 0
The original SU-76 (sometimes called SU-12) would be an interesting thing to see. It wasn't much produced, but it would fit in last months of the battle of Stalingrad. It also wouldn't be as dangerous to it's crew as the later SU-76M, because it didn't have an open backside. Although SU-76M was a lot more produced, it shouldn't be used in maps located in Stalingrad, because it's production began months after the fall of German 6th Army.

SU 122 come in late 42 also. It a counter part of Stug III.
Marder is counter part of SU 76.

Upvote 0
No option for AT guns? :rolleyes:

However there would be also some content that could be recovered...

And...about sdkfz 222.. how did it ended?

I might poke a coder or two :) Do you have an interior?

Attachments

• stug.JPG
    stug.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Su 76.JPG
    Su 76.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • pzIVf1.JPG
    pzIVf1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 0
  • pz IV f1 e h.JPG
    pz IV f1 e h.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 0
  • sdkfz 222.JPG
    sdkfz 222.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
SU 122 come in late 42 also. It a counter part of Stug III.
Marder is counter part of SU 76.
SU-122's gun wouldn't really be a counterpart for StuG's 75 mm gun. The closest counterpart for SU-122 would be StuH 42, but I don't say that would be a problem. I don't think tanks need to be "equal". Those things aside, SU-122 would indeed be appropriate for Stalingrad period and unlike SU-76, it was used throughout the war.

Just for the discussion, I think the most appropriate light tank in Stalingrad would be T-60. It was produced in Stalingrad along with T-34/76 and most likely used in big numbers around the area.

Upvote 0
No option for AT guns? :rolleyes:

However there would be also some content that could be recovered...

And...about sdkfz 222.. how did it ended?

Eh, AT guns can go with Others I guess. The poll is kind of tankey or very close to with SPGs.

Not going to comment too much on the vehicle mod team's stuff. Some would possibly be usable, though with how that ended I imagine some people don't want Tripwire ever touching their stuff again.

Kinda surprised how many people are voting for Pacific stuff.

Upvote 0
Voted Japanese/American tanks that would help RS to compete with HoS a bit.

Just think of how much fun to play a Japanese AT soldier! :D
fig1_japanese_lunge_mine_antitank.jpg

They did have AT rifles, it was just this 150 pound beast:
Picture-A.jpg

And this copy of the Bazooka:
9k=

w9Qigt8.jpg

But neither of those would be as fun to use! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0