• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

Bad system specs on consoles is slowing gaming and has been for decades.

Think about the size of the world map in Skyrim and all the textures...

It being only 6 gig means consoles are screwing us pc gamers over because their 10 year old pos hardware is... 10 years old.

Being the devils advocate for consoles is getting kind of old IMO, please do that somewhere else.

Upvote 0
Scapegoats are easy and I don't even have to prove or verify myself, just give the same straw man arguments over and over!

Basically.

Skyrim is running essentially the same engine Oblivion was on, give or take 6 years of performance optimizations and tweaks. With any luck, they have a really damn solid engine now. Source is and always has been a PC engine, and it's relatively small compared to **** like Unreal, which is undoubtedly a console-focused engine.

Size doesn't matter. Good developers will have smaller filesizes because they understand how to optimize. It's that simple.

Upvote 0
What's the problem then? 25GB isn't that much. That's five Baldur's Gate 2s.

My current Steam partition only have 40 GB left, and I don't want to spend more than half of it in a single game, specially one that would take so long to re install, so its one of those games that you just leave there.

Anyway, the point is that that game takes 25Gb, even on consoles.
Also, Fallout 3 install takes more space than Skyrim (and Skyrim still looks much better than FO3). So I doubt the consoles are a factor in the reduced size, they could go much higher and still classify as a console game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My wife is looking forward to it but i'm on the fence. I didn't like the way the monsters worked in oblivion, i hated that there weren't any extremely difficult encounters. Part of the fun of RPG's is getting your *** kicked multiple times, having to figure out what your doing wrong and adapting accordingly. We shall see!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rage is a console game that has a 25 GB installation, and is published by Bethesda too. Your arguments are invalid.

Btw, those 25 GB (and the price) are the reason that prevents me from getting that game.

The publishers just sign the paychecks mate. Bethesda Softworks != Bethesda Game Studios. They're part of the same company, yes, but they have two radically different jobs.

Rage was developed by iD software. Brink was developed by Splash Damage. Hunted: The Demon's Forge was developed by inXile Entertainment. All of the above were -paid for- by Bethesda.

The last game that Bethesda developed was Fallout 3, which requires ~7GB. All in all, Bethesda Game Studio is landing in the same target circle they've been consistently hitting with every game they've released this generation.

My wife is looking forward to it but i'm on the fence. I didn't like the way the monsters worked in oblivion, i hated that there weren't any extremely difficult encounters. Part of the fun of RPG's is getting your *** kicked multiple times, having to figure out what your doing wrong and adapting accordingly. We shall see!

From what I've heard, they've fixed that in Skyrim. There will be some places you simply can't go at lower levels because you will be horribly mauled by monsters. They're doing their best to strike a balance between Morrowind (where you could get mauled horribly less than 20 feet from the start location) and Oblivion (you were never mauled horribly).

Here's hoping.

Last edited:
Upvote 0