• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

I think I'm with you--the more I see of it, the more evolutionary it looks, rather than revolutionary. I guess I was pretty much expecting a graphically tweaked Oblivion anyway, but after playing Fallout 3, there's an awkwardness to the graphics and movement that makes me less than impressed. I think I'll wait for a sale on Skyrim, and keep onto my Oblivion + mods for a while longer.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to worry that Skyrim will be all eye candy and no depth. All of the video demonstrations have shown off impressive art, graphics, and worlds but I am a bit skeptical that all of this is coming at the expense of RPG depth. We'll see I guess.

Personally while a lot of the game is simplistic in contrast to its previous concepts, I don't feel it's really drawing much of the depth away.

More importantly to me however, they've managed to make two big breakthroughs that lead for a much more, deep RPG experience.

1. Perks. Call it however you want it, but these give a refreshing way to replay a similar role in very different playstyles. In previous games (excluding Daggerfall which also bolstered a stronger variant of customization) the only way to bolster difference between characters were role, race, and equipment/powers/spells. Once you start creeping with too many similar elements, the class tends to play out the same.

2. No more forced gameplay/grind. Gone is the archaic system of Morrowind and Oblivion, tethering your skills progression to which attributes you raised. This was literally my most hated system, as it forced certain roles to play a specific way in hopes of not being relevant early or late game (depending on whether you're playing Morrowind or Oblivion).

It's mostly how you approach it, I guess.

Upvote 0
Lots of people keep judging a game's entire content on what they can see in a video.

They even haven't shown any quests, any real totally unassisted gameplay, etc. How can you make judgements on the game's depth yet?
Well it's not like I'm assuming its going to be dumbed down. It's simply a concern that I have until I see more media.

This is the first ES game where the devs have blatantly said it was going to be a console focused game. They have also said in interviews that they want to get away from all the number crunching that existed in previous ES games, involving stats, etc. These two things do make me somewhat worried about the game's depth. That's all I'm saying, so please put out your flamethrowers.

Reactions: Dcode
Upvote 0
Better graphics...and of course MOD TOOLS. It may be a 'console focused' game, but clearly Bethesda is one of the few companies capable of giving an equal, in this case BETTER, PC experience. Honestly I don't see whats dumbed down about the stats. You've always gotten points based on what you do, it was just usually that your character was pidgeon holed into whatever seven skills you chose at the beginning. They've improved the stats and leveling, not dumbed it down.

Upvote 0
Well it's not like I'm assuming its going to be dumbed down. It's simply a concern that I have until I see more media.

This is the first ES game where the devs have blatantly said it was going to be a console focused game. They have also said in interviews that they want to get away from all the number crunching that existed in previous ES games, involving stats, etc. These two things do make me somewhat worried about the game's depth. That's all I'm saying, so please put out your flamethrowers.

B-B-But... dual wielded flamethrowers!

Upvote 0
Lots of people keep judging a game's entire content on what they can see in a video.

They even haven't shown any quests, any real totally unassisted gameplay, etc. How can you make judgements on the game's depth yet?

It's all hype. I'm definitely not coming anywhere close to this one after being totally disappointed with Fallout 3 after I unwisely bought it after hating Oblivion... oh well at least it was on sale for very little $$$.

Some people don't seem bothered at all though by Obsidian's story-less RPGs so whatever... but people expecting something real different from Oblivion are probably gonna be super disappointed.

I think it's mostly just the "Whoah perty graphics!" effect... and game feature lists always sound better on paper. I can't wait till we finally reach photorealism so people can stop obsessing over graphics and dev teams will have to catch the public's attention through other means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Shoot I still play Oblivion semi-regularly. Usually I just walk around since I've played the game to death and used fast travel a lot. So now I just explore nooks and crannies...there's something comforting about all the foliage that keeps me coming back. I don't know that Skyrim will be Oblivion 2.0 but I don't think I'd mind if it was. I think there is a better story this time as well, I never really cared about Oblivion's story but now it seems they are emphasizing it more and since they are basing it around the dragons, they've made it easy to both talk about the plot and show gameplay at the same time.

Upvote 0
It's all hype. I'm definitely not coming anywhere close to this one after being totally disappointed with Fallout 3 after I unwisely bought it after hating Oblivion... oh well at least it was on sale for very little $$$.

Some people don't seem bothered at all though by Obsidian's story-less RPGs so whatever... but people expecting something real different from Oblivion are probably gonna be super disappointed.

I think it's mostly just the "Whoah perty graphics!" effect... and game feature lists always sound better on paper. I can't wait till we finally reach photorealism so people can stop obsessing over graphics and dev teams will have to catch the public's attention through other means.

No, it's probably mostly "Woah, another fun TES game to explore and screw around in." As far as hype goes Skyrim isn't exactly at CoD's level for instance. Skyrim at least brings new things to the table, and offers an entirely new story and setting than the last TES game.

If you didn't enjoy Fallout 3 or Oblivion, these sorts of games are simply not your gig, and you probably didn't have much interest invested in them to begin with. Of course they always seem better when you don't follow the hype train and just judge them based on what you see.

And what I've seen so far looks great.

Also, a new feature list: http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/286552-skyrim-information/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Entirely new story? You're a prisoner who's freed by the intervention of an important character, because you have to help them to complete some prophesized task that will save the kingdom.

Same plot as Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion... I haven't played Arena but I wager it has the same structure as well.

The only difference is that this game has dragon-related powers that are hopefully unique from spells and abilities native to your race/class/birthsign.

Upvote 0
Well if you want to talk about it that way, barely any media in the last century has been truly original.

The dragon shouts have various uses and get more powerful as you find the words for them. There are even "shouts" for the more stealth-inclined characters.

The ones they showed in the Quakecon video created thunderstorms that struck enemies with lightning and a basic shout that knocked enemies on their asses.

Upvote 0
Entirely new story? You're a prisoner who's freed by the intervention of an important character, because you have to help them to complete some prophesized task that will save the kingdom.

Same plot as Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion... I haven't played Arena but I wager it has the same structure as well.

I don't have a problem with that. I liked all those games. But this one, I don't know, has something that it's not alright.

Upvote 0

That's exactly how Arena starts off quite honestly lol. I like the little traditional prisoner/prophecy quirk they have with the beginning of their games though.

I have some concerns but I'm looking forward to this game very much, especially since it's taking place in a part of Tamriel I always wanted to visit.

Every previous character I created in earlier TES games were all Nordic so finally starting off in the birthplace of my preferred class race will be cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0