• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

http://invasion1944.info/

Again, if anybody needs some help with mods and so forth, just send me a pm and I can walk you through. :)

Ill need to check INV 44 out now that I got ArmA and OA plus pagan bought me the Brit force pack cheers dude!
I used to work for the Invasion 1944 mod team back in the OFP days I supplied photos of original Zeltbahns and repo unforms for them and I think my face was in the first INV OFP mod back just before ArmA came out.

ON another mod note one of my fav OFP mods was the Unsung mod cant wait for that on ArmA II, it just had a better atmopshere than VTE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can any of you ARMA vets put together a little essential mod list with links? I'm not sure where to start.

EDIT:
Also if you guys can fill me in on any setting tweaks that'd be awesome. So far I've got this for my rig (C2D 6700 @ 3.3ghz, 2gigs DDR2 RAM, ATI HD4850):

Set post processing to low or to nothing (low gives a decent motion effect, anything more just blurs everything)
Set AA off (kills performance)
Set AF to very high (lower settings don't seem to extend too far)
Set Shadow Quality to very high (read it runs better for some reason and seems to be true)
Turn off mouse smoothing (gets rid of that sluggish, low fps feel)
Lower head bob (less chaotic)
Video Memory to high (512mb setting?)
All other settings are on Normal

Overall, seems to run much better than even the OA demo so far. After tweaking the game options you feel much less like a robot but it could still use some work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can any of you ARMA vets put together a little essential mod list with links? I'm not sure where to start.

EDIT:
Also if you guys can fill me in on any setting tweaks that'd be awesome. So far I've got this for my rig (C2D 6700 @ 3.3ghz, 2gigs DDR2 RAM, ATI HD4850):

Set post processing to low or to nothing (low gives a decent motion effect, anything more just blurs everything)
Set AA off (kills performance)
Set AF to very high (lower settings don't seem to extend too far)
Set Shadow Quality to very high (read it runs better for some reason and seems to be true)
Turn off mouse smoothing (gets rid of that sluggish, low fps feel)
Lower head bob (less chaotic)
Video Memory to high (512mb setting?)
All other settings are on Normal

Overall, seems to run much better than even the OA demo so far. After tweaking the game options you feel much less like a robot but it could still use some work.

Well, you can either hop on our TS or add me to your steam contacts and I'll walk you through with most of the mods you'll want/need.

For a start, install this and this.

First one is addon sync which is the best way to install, update and maintain ACE.

Second one is the ArmA2 launcher by spirited machine, let's you group addons and enable/disable whole groups with one single click.

Upvote 0
For mods, i would start with some cool custom islands like Isla Duala (Africa), Lingor (Jungle), and Panthera (based on Hungary, i believe. Mountainous area), and Thirsk (based on Norway i think, but also comes with a winter version). The island Podagorsk is really good as well, basically like an extention of Chernarus and very detailed.

Then there are many unit-mods which add various armies. Depending on where you are from, there should be a nice mod for you out there.
Personally i always play with the Dutch Army units, but for Germans there is the excellent Bundeswehr mod, etc etc ;)

Other than that, there are some AI mods, like ZEUS which help improve the AI, not just accuracy but actually boosting there skill at finding cover, covering eachother, deploying smoke when under fire, if available, etc.

The possibilities are unlimited, really.
And ofcourse, there are the mods that change the entire era of warfare, like Invasion 44, Unsung and Vietnam The Experience, etc.

EDIT:
And soon, (or actually already available) you can also play with Predators, which have several variants like the Elder Predator, Youngling Predator etc, which have different skills. Some will keep ranged, others will close in for the kill with their wristblades etc.
Made by the same guy who made the excellent Undead mod, Charon. That mod is also really good, as it adds both infected and shambler zombies, and even can offer dynamic infection of the island (especially in combination with the Random Civilian Module, which spawns civilians in towns everywhere).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

But what do you wanna play? Single player (which is cr*p) or Multiplayer? For MP all what I can suggest is to find bunch of people or clan and ask them what is needed to join. Most public servers usually doesn't use any mods.

Upvote 0
But what do you wanna play? Single player (which is cr*p) or Multiplayer? For MP all what I can suggest is to find bunch of people or clan and ask them what is needed to join. Most public servers usually doesn't use any mods.

I was thinking more of the mods most players consider essential that enhance the original game and not change too much up. Mods like ACE2 I assume. The only total conversion I'm getting now will be Invasion1944 probably.

I don't wanna commit to any groups yet. It's probably just gonna be me and the guys from my vent playing together.

@Lemon, what's your Steam id?

EDIT: OA runs decent but regular ARMAII runs like complete ****. What gives? I thought OA's optimizations were
patched to it?
EDIT2: I see, you must run Combined Operations to use Arma2's assets in the new OA engine. I also got a decent performance boost by putting the renderframesahead command in the cfg to 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been brought to my knees with the latest DLC, my machine as well. Ramming like a Cambridge boatswain in dry dock...:eek:...

Lucky you, I can't even buy the game yet. :rolleyes:

And no, I won't buy from sprocket. If I start spreading out all digital distribution games I buy I'll end up with over 9000 different accounts.

Upvote 0
Thoughts after a few days with ARMAII...

Pros
-mature community
-amount of options
-scale of maps

Cons
-performance
-bugs (vehicles and players frequently skip around the map for instance)
-graphics (on a rare occasion it looks brilliant but more often it appears terribly outdated)
-voice acting
-servers (coop is basically the only option)
-AI

Playing some of the coop missions with friends was pretty fun but other than that I'm still not completely sold. It's not at all the fact I'm not getting immediate action or anything like that. I want to like the game and I'd enjoy heavy realism but sometimes its very hard to see the appeal in the state its in. It seems like it has all the right ideas but its stunted by bad flaws around almost every turn.

I'm also surprised to see player vs player completely absent, especially since the AI is nothing special. Two large teams with squads of tactically minded realism players on such a large scale could be really special but all you see is 3, 6, 11, or maybe 22 people here and there in a server all playing coop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thoughts after a few days with ARMAII...

Pros
-mature community
-amount of options
-scale of maps

Cons
-performance (only acceptable when in the middle of nowhere with no buildings)
-bugs (vehicles and players frequently skip around the map for instance)
-graphics (on a rare occasion it looks brilliant but more often it appears terribly outdated)
-voice acting
-servers (coop is basically the only option)
-AI

Playing some of the coop missions with friends was pretty fun but other than that I'm still not sold. It's not at all the fact I'm not getting immediate action or anything like that. I want to like the game and I'd enjoy heavy realism but I still don't really see the appeal. It fails at being a game and its too buggy and performs too badly to be truly realistic. It seems like it has all the right ideas but its just horribly flawed around every turn.

I'm also surprised to see player vs player completely absent, especially since the AI is nothing special. Two large teams with squads of tactically minded realism players on such a large scale could be really special but all you see is 3, 6, 11, or maybe 22 people here and there in a server all playing coop.

There's been a PvP surge in ArmA recently actually. List the browser by players and search for "Valhalla" and "AAS", they're usually the most populated ones. One server usually has around 80 players. It's pretty good.

Upvote 0
There's been a PvP surge in ArmA recently actually. List the browser by players and search for "Valhalla" and "AAS", they're usually the most populated ones. One server usually has around 80 players. It's pretty good.

I'll take a look. For which version?

Even with all the faults I keep playing. There's moments of brilliance like parachuting into a town, meeting up with friendly snipers then slowing moving forward and taking out an entire enemy force before moving out across a huge no man's land to assault another town. It's definitely different and on the right path it just needs a MAJOR smoothing over in terms of performance and bugs...and much, much, more pvp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know why so many people keep talking about the "poor performance", my almost four year-old PC can run it just fine. Sure, I have to run everything on medium, but it looks good enough for me. If you run it on the highest settings it looks very nice (see LemoN's pics), but you need a beefy PC to do that.

Kaner, if you see players or vehicles skipping over the map, that's most likely due to lag.

Also... the co-op rocks, if you're playing the right missions. Don't give up on that mode just yet. The AI isn't the greatest but it can do plenty of things (such as autonomically driving on roads), but the UPSMON script is what really makes the AI interesting; they'll flank the players, use cover, no longer run straight upright during combat, etc.

Check out my missions if you want :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=104255http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=104255

I should probably release a new version of Airmobile Assault that gets rid of the insurgents and the RAF Chinook, because those are in OA anyway. I hate it when missions require a ton of addons. That one uses UPSMON by the way.

Upvote 0