• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] The ArmA 2 thread (hurr hurr, no Armed Assault 2)

hey there,maybe one of you can help me on this quickly:
So theress that new expansion "OA" out next week or so that i want to pick up but i know nothing about Arma2 at all beside i played the previous games(arma1 & ofp) like a madman in all its glory for years.

- Now will that new standalone have all the content of the original game ?
- What do you think are chances for the popular modification to make the transfer to OA if that is even necessary at all?
- Will i be able change language and voices to english on a foreign version Box? I cant stand videogames talk/write german if not made by home a company

thanks

Upvote 0

OA won't have the ArmA2 content and instead have it's own new content.
But OA will upgrade the original ArmA2 content (like the UAVs will have FLIR and such). There will be a gold edition with both in one box for 50 bucks.

- What do you think are chances for the popular modification to make the transfer to OA if that is even necessary at all?

I think many mods will switch to OA because of the new features.

- Will i be able change language and voices to english on a foreign version Box? I cant stand videogames talk/write german if not made by home a company

Don't know about the menu language but you won't be able to change the voice language.

Upvote 0
So theress that new expansion "OA" out next week or so that i want to pick up but i know nothing about Arma2 at all beside i played the previous games(arma1 & ofp) like a madman in all its glory for years.

thanks

1. Nope, but I heard they will be MP compatible.
2. ACE 2 will be ported to OA. ArmA 2 addons also should work without a problem.
3. Out of the box - no. But there have been several mods about this for ArmA 2, same could be true for OA.

Upvote 0

thanks

- OA won't have all of the content of ArmA 2 (except generic US vehicles probably, not sure though), but if you run OA it will automatically load all of the ArmA 2 content if you have that game installed. So you can switch from OA to ArmA 2 on the fly, without having to exit OA.

- I think most of the addons will be compatible with OA, but I'm not sure about the big mods like A.C.E. We'll have to wait and see.

- I can't answer your third question.

EDIT: didn't see Rak's reply.

Upvote 0
I'm trying out the demo. It's a bit choppy on my system. I understand the updates have improved things. I'm assuming the demo hasn't been updated, so I could expect better performance with the full game.

I'm running an i7 but with an old GeForce 8600 GTS.

BTW: Would I need to join some kind of clan to get a good multiplayer experience on this game? I'm satisfied with RO pubplay, so I'm not too finicky.

Upvote 0
The performance has indeed been getting better over time, thanks to the patches.
I think that at the start i played ArmA 2 with all settings on low, and right now i'm able to play with most settings on medium. It all depends on mission size though.
I dont know the performance you might get though take note that ArmA 2 is mostly CPU-intensive and relies on that more than a graphics card.
Expect the performance of campaign missions to get worse as they come, since each mission grows larger and larger in scale.

Important note though that Operation Arrowhead might run even better, thanks to the updates that also take effect in OA but mostly too because the terrain there is a lot more arid and doesnt have the huge forests that Chernarus has.

As to multiplayer, i would recommend joing a community or a clan for regular play.
If you are gonna play in public, you might look into getting ACE, though it's quite the ***** to keep up to date. But most ACE players seem to be a bit more cooperative than most public players. At least that's what i noticed in ArmA 1, i havent played public since.
A community or clan however assures you of good teamwork, decreasing downtime on missions like Domination where, if killed, you might spend 5 minutes travelling back to the battlefield.
Many was the time i spent half an hour searching for the fight in public play, only to get there after it was won and people had already moved on.
A clan or community might have a dedicated pilot spending his time just trafficking people across the map.

Upvote 0