• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Suicide Satchel Bomber!

If you absolutely must play satchel kamikazi please set your server filter to "Show Smacktard Populated Servers Only."

I have pretty much given up BF2 because of the complete lack of realism and the infestation by 12 year olds whose idea of "cool" is coverring a jeep with C4 and ramming a tank. It sure sucks to see this same mentality migrating to RO. I gues that is what happens when the game hits the shelves at Walmart...

Upvote 0
Musketeer said:
If you absolutely must play satchel kamikazi please set your server filter to "Show Smacktard Populated Servers Only."

I have pretty much given up BF2 because of the complete lack of realism and the infestation by 12 year olds whose idea of "cool" is coverring a jeep with C4 and ramming a tank. It sure sucks to see this same mentality migrating to RO. I gues that is what happens when the game hits the shelves at Walmart...

well said brother man. :)

Upvote 0
There seems to be little to no point in reasoning with satchel suiciders and trying to point out to them that their "tactic" (ROFL) making other gamers feel ripped off is of no concern to them because on a public server they think they can play however they want. Unfortunately.

It's up to the admins to judiciously apply as much or as little feel of immersion until or when a mod or something is introduced to prevent suicide satchelling.

As I said before... just don't try to convince anyone it was a tactic or justify it as historical. It may have happened...once...ten times...50 times... it was never a regular tactic employed for humans in any war...even in Japan, the kamikaze were a desperation tactic...not regular airforce...there was certainly not a regular 119th Krimson Guard Explodski Squad, 120th...121st...etc.

If this happens on a server I am on and it is unadminned, I tend to just leave...if there are rules against it, take down the name and time and report the offender in the hopes of a ban...

saves time and headache.

Upvote 0
No, frankly I don't have as much of a problem with that... actually my ideal use as anti-personell though would be if they could be set up with a trip wire. But for instance in Stalingrad Kessel, in the warehouse, if someone were to carefully drop a satchel from a higher level to a lower level to kill enemy troops...I don't see this as a problem.

What I find annyoing is just the people who run repeatedly into choke points, expend their lives - and I might add their teams reinforcement count - with impunity and blow themselves up and often their teammates...

They not only kill players, they kill the immersive feel of the game flat...congratulations...you ruin the playing experience for a second of cheap thrills...

I have run into people who make a hobby of this and tell you to "Lighten up!" because they are just having fun.

Maybe we should...I dunno... but it seems to me they are costing their team resources and accomplishing little other than kills...

I have thrown desperation satchels as anti-infantry but I try to use them on obstacles and tanks. Due to lag and I guess my lack of skill I find it often very difficult to tag the suicide bomber as he gets in close enough to wipe out myself and others so maybe the problem is just with me...

People will play the game, as I said, the way they play the game...otherwise you have to hope for admins and mods to control the actual level of realism or immersive feel. For the bombers, its just another fun gamey exploit that allows them to rack up kills and they could give a flying f*** in the hat how it affects anyone else's game.

Upvote 0
thecaptain_ps said:
A skilled jihaddist will judge the distance they need to sprint and pull the cord in advance so it detonates just as they reach their target.

...and I am quite good at doing that, without causing any harm to my teammates. Plus you get 2 satchel charges; one for objectives, the other for "effective" killing!

:D

I am quite content with my killing methods. It may not look real to your eyes, but I ain't breaking any rules and in the long run I am helping out my team by killing +4 germans in a run. Plus its my gaming style (not that I do it all the time), not yours.

If you ever see me on the battlefield, instead of tking me (depleting your reinforcements), just pretend I am a mortally wonded soul going out in a heroic way (a desperation tactic).

Plus I am sure the developers took all this into account when they created the satchel charge. If your teammate is not tking, then why get all upset over it?

Remember war is ugly, not organized and appropriate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
orangepine said:
...and I am quite good at doing that, without causing any harm to my teammates! Plus you get 2 satchel charges; one for objectives, the other for "effective" killing!

:D

I am quite content with my killing methods. It may not look real to your eyes, but I ain't breaking any rules and in the long run I am helping out my team by killing +4 germans in a run. Plus its my gaming style (not that I do it all the time), not yours.

If you ever see me on the battlefield, instead of tking me (depleting your reinforcements), just pretend I am a mortally wonded soul going out in a heroic way (a desperation tactic).

Plus I am sure the developers took all this into account when they created the satchel charge. If your teammate is not tking, then why get all upset over it?

Remember war is ugly, not organized and appropriate.

Alright, I can't help it! You are an ass. Rather than ignore or TK you I would prefer you get kicked and banned from servers as quickly as possible. Perhaps you can go back to BF2 then...

Upvote 0
I don't see how the occaisional suicide satchel bombing would be overtly gamey and unrealistic. Just remember, while we're all pretend soldiers with little or no fear of dying, the real soldiers not only had to deal with their fear of dying, but also the trauma of being so close to death. Such stress disorders can drive one to insanity, prompting crazy and oft suicidal actions.

For every 1000 soldiers (represented by a death and respawn) on every map played, I'm sure there would be at least a few who succumb to the horrors of watching their friends torn apart by artillery and give in to their impending insanity, grabbing a grenade or other suitable soldier, and jumping into a crowd of enemy soldiers busy manning a machinegun post that has been wreaking havoc on your bretheren.

Upvote 0
After getting some sleep let me say I am sorry for the direct personal attack. You are not an ass personally (as far as I know) but your actions in game certainly appear ass like to me and many others.

Yes, one out of a thousand troops may flip out and run with satchel charged into the enemy. For every stupid suicide charge are you going to play about 40 - 50 rounds where you fail to fire a shot or fail to fire a shot aimed at an enemy? That was a far more common problem thatn suicide nut jobs.

There are plenty of cases of soldiers sacraficing themselves for their comrades. Rodger Young is one of them. http://www.wegrokit.com/rybio.htm

At the same time I do not see the suicide satchel bombers in RO attacking entrenched positions to save their buddies. I see them running after moving tanks in open fields and running after groups of UN-entrenched enemies.

It is a gamey and infantile tactic in the manner in which I have seen it used 99% of the time.

Upvote 0
I don't realy care about score, I just play the game and try to help out my team by killing the enemy and not tking.

God... Plus whats so wrong with it. If your teammate is not hurting you in any way and is killing alot of enemys in his/her run, whats wrong with that?

I myself see it as cinematic beauty when one of my teammates sacrifices himself by running into a group of germans then blowing up, causing all the bodys to fly into the air.

I don't know about you, but that looks pretty damn cool! Its almost the same effect when a artillery strike hits a group of soldiers.

But there is one thing I too agree on, thats unrealistic, and thats when people hop on clown cars, with satchel charges, to destroy tanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
orangepine said:
I myself see it as cinematic beauty when one of my teammates sacrifices himself by running into a group of germans then blowing up, causing all the bodys to fly into the air.

But there is one thing I too agree on, thats unrealistic, and thats when people hop on clown cars, with satchel charges, to destroy tanks.

Jihad bombing in WWII is realistic but Clown Car assaults are not... I just don't get it.

If ONCE a map someone sacraficed themselves by blowing up a satchel with them and a group of enemies I might buy it, but you state you do it whenever you see a crowd of four or more. Self sacrafice of this nature was very much UNCOMMON hence Rodger Young getting the CMOH for it. Even he was killed by bullets while engaging the enemy with grenades.

Upvote 0
Well what can you do.

If I am doing the objectives, not killing my teammates, and killing the enemy, what in the world is wrong with sacrificing yourself to kill 4 or more german troops.

Its also quite rare to find 4 german troops together, not knowing what you are about to do until the last 2 seconds.

I am sure that the developers thought this through when they created the satchel charge. Plus weapons and their actions are in the top 10 when it comes to making a game. Its what people use to interact with the game environment, and to ultimatly play the game.

And if they do change it, I wouldn't mind at all. I'll still play RO because its a great "game". But since this form of tactic is available, I might aswell use it when I have the chance.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah, like everyone does it and its sooo hard to kill one of these suicide satchel bombers... please!

You have to be, excuse me, an idiot to get killed by one of these people ( I have been killed by one of these people too :p ). I see it as a check up, if your paying attention or not.

Like others have said, you can't force others to play the way you want them to.

Plus good luck getting this "exploit" ( if thats what you call it) fixed, because it ain't that big of a deal. Not everyone has a stachel charge, and not everyone suicides with it. Plus there is admins out there that filter out the abusive players who TK and don't do objectives.

Might aswell remove all public servers then, because someone might move funny, or do somthing "unrealistic".

Upvote 0