• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steampunk Elements in new Killing Floor?

Spindletop

Jun 12, 2014
Murica'
I was always a fan of the steampunk aspects in Killing Floor and I loved the unique design of the steampunk characters and weaponry. (I always played as. either Steampunk medic or Steampunk Support character) The level design for "Lockheart's Steamland" was utterly stunning and the patriarch for the "Summer Slide Show" event is by far my favorite. So, I was hoping to see more steampunk elements in the layout of the new Killing Floor and possibly new enemy and patriarch designs for events like that.

:
images

Last edited:
You're just asking for trouble from the regular forum-goers aren't you? :p
I wish you good luck.

Thank you Moskeeto. Although I realize that many don't want steam punk to return in kf2 because it "ruins the gritty atmosphere" I would like those people to think of how tripwire has taken holidays like Christmas and Halloween and ended up adding a whole new level of creepiness with new maps to compliment it. Sure, I can understand that the steam punk characters might have seemed a little "out of place" in the original kf.

Well, my compromise to this is to make steam punk things look lore friendly enough to fit in while still looking unique and standing out. Make their clothing and metal on the weapons appear more worn and faded and rusted to compensate for looking dazzling enough to put out the sun.

Still think steam punk is out of place in a gritty horror world like killing floor? steam punk isn't just a sci-fi bastardization of Victorian culture. Believe it or not steam punk happens to incorporate elements of horror, historical fiction, and alternate history meaning it can even link up with the modern day fantasy present in the killing floor story-line. Although I may be wrong I still hope Tripwire doesn't completely eradicate steam punk from the game. If they don't carry all of the steam punk things over to the next game I hope they will at least include hints of steam punk somewhere.

Upvote 0
Thank you Moskeeto. Although I realize that many don't want steam punk to return in kf2 because it "ruins the gritty atmosphere" I would like those people to think of how tripwire has taken holidays like Christmas and Halloween and ended up adding a whole new level of creepiness with new maps to compliment it. Sure, I can understand that the steam punk characters might have seemed a little "out of place" in the original kf.

Well, my compromise to this is to make steam punk things look lore friendly enough to fit in while still looking unique and standing out. Make their clothing and metal on the weapons appear more worn and faded and rusted to compensate for looking dazzling enough to put out the sun.

Still think steam punk is out of place in a gritty horror world like killing floor? steam punk isn't just a sci-fi bastardization of Victorian culture. Believe it or not steam punk happens to incorporate elements of horror, historical fiction, and alternate history meaning it can even link up with the modern day fantasy present in the killing floor story-line. Although I may be wrong I still hope Tripwire doesn't completely eradicate steam punk from the game. If they don't carry all of the steam punk things over to the next game I hope they will at least include hints of steam punk somewhere.
Oh, yes. And this brings me to my next topic which I shall be discussing in a different thread. Will Tripwire be carrying over all the different events from kf1 to kf2? Will we be seeing all new versions of the Christmas and Halloween related enemies as well as new maps?

Upvote 0
Steampunk is a crock of **** made for fantasy games not Killing Floor.

Technically Killing Floor IS a fantasy game. Tell me, in what world has a post-apocalyptic "hell on earth" caused by a mentally unstable scientist's experiments gone wrong actually occured? None. It hasn't ever happened before, therefore it is indeed science-fiction.

~Oh yea, and I will be reporting your post for being of absolutely no use to me what so ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I didn't mind it in KF1.

Half of the steampunk outfits could easily have just been home-made protective gear (especially the steampunk berserker. That's what I'd be doing in case of a massive mutant outbreak; strap whatever I could find all over myself)

And for the rest, we had the excuse of the steam-punk theme park, making the characters as credible as the disheveled mall santa or... well the majority of the available skins, really.

But if they wanted to have like a "steampunk mode" separate from the non-steampunk elements of the game, I'd be fine with that too? Either way, we KNOW TWI are big fans of steampunk things and therefore we KNOW Steampunk WILL be in KF2. (So goodbye to Federov, Bluebreaker, and KingJoker. Sorry you guys won't be playing KF2 with the rest of us. Have fun in DayZ or Arma mods or whatever it is people play for a "gritty and realistic zombie experience")

Upvote 0
I didn't mind it in KF1.

But if they wanted to have like a "steampunk mode" separate from the non-steampunk elements of the game, I'd be fine with that too? Either way, we KNOW TWI are big fans of steampunk things and therefore we KNOW Steampunk WILL be in KF2. (So goodbye to Federov, Bluebreaker, and KingJoker. Sorry you guys won't be playing KF2 with the rest of us. Have fun in DayZ or Arma mods or whatever it is people play for a "gritty and realistic zombie experience")

I think that this is a great idea and could ultimately lead to new gaming features. Just think, an objective mode where you would find helium tanks and take them to a deflated air balloon and ride to safety just before the zeds over took you. I would also like to see maybe some bioshock-esque map designs if they were to follow that "steam punk mode" route you mention.
Like perhaps an underwater portion of a level? Or, a sky city? That's probably just me but this could go all sorts of ways.

Upvote 0
Technically Killing Floor IS a fantasy game. Tell me, in what world has a post-apocalyptic "hell on earth" caused by a mentally unstable scientist's experiments gone wrong actually occured? None. It hasn't ever happened before, therefore it is indeed science-fiction.

~Oh yea, and I will be reporting your post for being of absolutely no use to me what so ever.

My apologies for your over sensitivity i just feel as though your judgement is clouded. Killing Floor is a sci-fi game i give that to you but there is a clear distinction between steampunk and sci-fi. Killing Floor of course being sci-fi and steampunk could be considered sci-fi, but generally is more a fantasy world.

Steampunk was a novelty act and should remain as a one trick pony - maps dedicated to it and perhaps content, but not over bearing.

The game should be seen from the outside as a Dark Apocalyptic Sci-Fi game and through content can become everyone's fantasies, but the basic structure of the game should be a serious war infested zone full of clones.

Upvote 0
Bye.
Later.
Good riddance.
MAGERDY HURR.

This is a ****ty attitude dude, don't run off the community offer insight and engage in conversation - the KF2 forums are meant to be for constructive criticism and educating one another in hopes for a game for all players to enjoy.... and plus i don't understand what the **** your even attempting to say.

Ma Gerdy?

Upvote 0
This is a ****ty attitude dude, don't run off the community offer insight and engage in conversation - the KF2 forums are meant to be for constructive criticism and educating one another in hopes for a game for all players to enjoy.... and plus i don't understand what the **** your even attempting to say.

Ma Gerdy?
My gritty horror, a thing Killing Floor Retail never had but people seem to nostalgia about anyway. Maybe they seem to have mistaken Killing Floor Retail for the mod. Who knows? The nostalgia goggles are thick on this forum.

Upvote 0
My gritty horror, a thing Killing Floor Retail never had but people seem to nostalgia about anyway. Maybe they seem to have mistaken Killing Floor Retail for the mod. Who knows? The nostalgia goggles are thick on this forum.

Alright then you got your basic maps here: Biology, Offices, West London, and Manor, now of these maps which one isn't gritty? You have dead bodies, dirty textuers, broken windows, and a lot of recycled KFMod Meshes and textures.... I see grit and a lot of it.

Now if your being very specific and talking about gritty genres then it's not the grittiest with you being able to suffer full blown hits from a Fleshpound, Husk, Siren, etc. etc. and not ****ing blowing the **** up, but its there theres a certain amount of grit too it, it's no 28 days later but its there.

Upvote 0
Biology, Offices, West London, and Manor
You're not even trying to conceal the fact you played this game for maybe a day. Compare the retail game to the mod. You'll see the they cut out almost all of the grit because that's not what they were going for with the retail game.

Maybe you can't though, with you calling maps Biology, you probably only played the mod.

Last edited:
Upvote 0