• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Speed hack detected, you are session banned

My excuses for the slight bump (hopefully no one will care too much) but this problem is making me slightly irritated.

I have always had an internet which gives me random lagspikes now and then, pretty irritating at times, but I can live with it. But everytime that happens I also get this "Speed hack detected" message, after 2-3 times I get a session ban.

Only once have I now managed to stay in a whole round without crashing (and that was because I entered at the end of the round, so "whole round" is used very loosely here), all the other times a quick session ban was the reward I got for wishing to play this very good game.

So, as I have read here, the developers put some way to stop speed hackers which has now backfired on people who lag... Either make this more tolerant or remove it all together, thank you.

- Haresus

P.S. Yes, I am a speed hacker. /sarcasm. If I had been a speed hacker I would have played without hacks for a while just to enjoy the awesome game, but nooooo. I would try to get banned every single time.

P.S.S. I just had another good round without getting banned! Woho! But yeah, this is a real gamekiller for me, the game is good and all, but this needs fixing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are there any more knew on this Speed Hack False positives?
I'm definitely not getting this issue very often anymore, but I did have a bunch when I joined a server with a bit of lag.

I'm just curious, because it finally hit again today.. thankfully without any session ban, but I was wondering if the Devs atleast have it on their long list of things to do. I don't want it to become a problem again.

Upvote 0
My ping will be at perfectly acceptable 80ms when suddenly it spikes up to tripple digit numbers (200ish) and when I start running I start teleporting around the whole map and the dreaded "Speed hack detected!" pops up.
Seriously, fix this. Kicking people for hacking because they are lagging is unheard of and pathetic.

Upvote 0
Lawl, I have no idea why people complain about PB, haven't had any problems with that, the only thing I have problems with is their programmed in speed hack detection thingy that with much glee kicks anything that lags, or speed hacks alike. As far as I can see TWI hasn't commented on this particular subject. Not sure if they're working to fix it's trigger happy session bans, or ignoring the problem now that we've bought the game. Take cash, run for hills.

Upvote 0
So we tuned the Speedhack detection to be pretty stringent. Server admins can loosen the thresholds up a bit if they are getting false positives. We never saw any false positives in our internal testing, but it looks like a few are starting to pop up. We might tweak the threshold up a bit for the next update.

Ummm...
This is a litle old, the update of this, is released before or not?

Upvote 0
Me too

Me too

I sent a note the President of TWI suggesting that they correlate speed hackish activity against high scoring in the game. If they get a match, then flag it to an admin.

That way, folks on a slow connection (who tend to score slower) will not be kicked and those on faster connections who are speed hacking, will be kicked.

I'll let you know if I get a response.

Upvote 0
I have tremor so my hands get shaky every now and then. I've never been banned but sometimes when I twitch (like reacting to a grenadeexplosion) I get speedhack warnings.

Normaly i even when i siting in one place, without running or making fast movements to test the theory about running ocasionaly cause the Speed Hacker detection, i still get the warming.

But after 3 warmings, i get banned.

Wrim, you give me a idea, maybe if i ask to tripware or the servers guys, if there is a way to only get banned for a high number of warmings (about 10 or 20 or other number), maybe would be more easily for they.

Ultil now any responses for the Devs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for making another post in sequence, but ultil now, no response for devs or something oficial, and to this issue get a litle more insight, i feel bad, but i need to post this only to get in the top of the theard board.

Luiz, while I feel for you and your poor connection woes, you must realize you need a better, more reliable connection to overcome your packet losses.

Packet loss is one of the causes of speed hack detection notices and session bans.

Upvote 0