• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Speed hack detected, you are session banned

It's odd how people immidiately tie Punkbuster to the speed hack detection thing.

From what I can tell, speed hacking causes a session ban, which means that if you reconnect and make a "new" session, you should be able to play again if the speedhack is turned off.

Punkbuster on the other hand tends to ban people permanently when it detects you cheating. Which makes me believe that Punkbuster and that particular speedhack detection thing are seperated.

I'm not saying that the detection is 100% accurate, and it might give false positives. But I don't think we need another topic of "Punkbuster sucks".

Exactly, like Ramm stated it is something TW build in, (was also in the changelog of the last update) and it might need some finetuning after the results of the beta players come in.

But some people like to blame everything on PB

Upvote 0
The update with the speed hack detection was just released a couple of hours ago. If this was happening to you last night it was something else.

Indeed.... it was only one server last night and I think they just threw on PB on their server themselves as when I was bounced back to the browser, a Punk Buster notification came up on my screen about packet loss.... I don't know too much about how it all works, but that server was the only issue & I never ran the PB until this new patch.....

Speaking of the patch... after just coming back home and updating ROB, besides the browser showing empty servers, which can be worked around of course..... I'm now getting this speed hack detected thing on every server I join.

My ping is usually between 30-90, usually in the 30-40 range, yet I'm still getting speed hack detected, my gameplay is choppy as hell, I'm thrown all over the place and can't do squat...... and I have no interest in staying on a server long enough to get kicked or banned because of it.

And it only really started after this patch.

..... me no like... Bad medicine.

Added:

Well there we go.... I just got session banned..... sorry, but I'm not playing the beta again until this is fixed. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but having the game throw me around to the point I'm running into walls, getting speed hack detection warnings and then getting kicked/session banned makes it pointless to even try to play.

Everything seemed perfectly fine for me in the last patch, minus a few odd MG backwards animations..... and even in the original release, besides the laggy browser thing, I had zero issues, now my game is crippled.

If it helps, here's my specs again:

Intel Core i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz (QuadCore)
8GB of RAM
Windows 7 64-Bit Operating System
Nvidia GeForce 210 - 4GB of RAM

I'm going back to Ostfront for the time being.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been kicked for 'hacking' although I was not, joined back to the same server and asked if anyone else had just been kicked and accused of hacking and no one else had... which was shortly followed by a vote to kick me for speed hacking, this was before the speed bug was announced though :)

Upvote 0
Caught in the act :D

lol, well I know my game isn't like that.... I'm slow as hell and constantly jerking around in one spot, but I'm still told I'm speed hacking.

I just don't get why anybody would try and speed hack in the first place.... it looks like they're going so fast that they couldn't really do much, cuz they'd fly right on by. :confused:

Update:

Decided to pop onto one more server and that map loaded fine and played fine more or less.... though I did encounter a number of players appearing out of nowhere and killing me, while others I attempted to shoot just suddenly disappeared..... which I assume relates to this packet loss speed hacking thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have this problem, I get lag spikes and then get a warning that a speed hack detected, happens about 3 or 4 times then I get session banned and cannot rejoin until the map changes.

This problem affects a few of online friends, all of which seem to be on a WiFi connection like me.

I think the Tripwire response on this matter has been very poor, a pkt loss should not trigger a speed hack warning, never mind getting you a session ban. This is a case of poor coding, and not for server admins to "loosen" the settings. You may well say you did not have this problem with your in house test, but you are testing on Lan connections... Try real life testing in future and think of all the ways people connect to a server in future.

WiFi connections are prone to dropping packets and you should of thought of this beforehand. All you are doing here is annoying those customers who believed in you enough to prepurchase this game. Not to mention the Juvenile people have to put up with on here.

Get it fixed Tripwire, and less of the condescending replies

Upvote 0
I am getting this bug too. I have to say it is very annoying. I urged my friend to purchase the DDE to play the beta with me, only to not even be able to play with him because of this bug. I was able to play perfectly fine yesterday as well.
I'm also getting the issues stated above, with the running around and then glitching back to the same spot I was at. I hope this can be resolved so that I can play with my friend before the beta runs out!

Hmm, after playing another game only, without talking to my friend over Skype, I don't seem to have the issue anymore. I don't know if this would help at all but it is just an observation.

My specs:

Intel Core2Quad 2.66ghz
4GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia GTX 460

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have this problem, I get lag spikes and then get a warning that a speed hack detected, happens about 3 or 4 times then I get session banned and cannot rejoin until the map changes.

This problem affects a few of online friends, all of which seem to be on a WiFi connection like me.

I think the Tripwire response on this matter has been very poor, a pkt loss should not trigger a speed hack warning, never mind getting you a session ban. This is a case of poor coding, and not for server admins to "loosen" the settings. You may well say you did not have this problem with your in house test, but you are testing on Lan connections... Try real life testing in future and think of all the ways people connect to a server in future.

WiFi connections are prone to dropping packets and you should of thought of this beforehand. All you are doing here is annoying those customers who believed in you enough to prepurchase this game. Not to mention the Juvenile people have to put up with on here.

Get it fixed Tripwire, and less of the condescending replies
WIFI connections shouldnt be used while playing games, isnt that obvious.

Upvote 0
Update:

Decided to pop onto one more server and that map loaded fine and played fine more or less.... though I did encounter a number of players appearing out of nowhere and killing me, while others I attempted to shoot just suddenly disappeared..... which I assume relates to this packet loss speed hacking thing.

I haven't had any issues here, but I have noticed several times I pull my sights up at a guy and then he vanishes, usually the guy I go to shoot is in a window, but it doesnt appear to be cover as the guy literally instantly disappears. No animation, just pooof, gone.

Haven't seen any messages or heard any talk in the game about anyone haxing it up either. No indication that someone left the game, no reason to suspect hacking, no animation into cover / prone / run away. I've seen this probably three or four times, two of them today.

It could likely just be lag / netcode, just like the tanks that move a jittery 6 feet at a time. Just out of curiosity, what kind of frame rate do you pull? I ask as we know the game doesnt use the full potential of any modern system, yet it chugs. I wonder if perhaps it's trying to compute "too much" so packets dont ever go out essentially?

Yea, this is true. But some people dont have better options. Though, stellar performance with WiFi is a pipe dream and you have to realize that.

(I used to be in a similar situation, then that connection decided to drop on me while I was in the lead in a 40 minute race at iRacing, then proceeded to cause rage like none other)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I haven't had any issues here, but I have noticed several times I pull my sights up at a guy and then he vanishes, usually the guy I go to shoot is in a window, but it doesnt appear to be cover as the guy literally instantly disappears. No animation, just pooof, gone.

Haven't seen any messages or heard any talk in the game about anyone haxing it up either. No indication that someone left the game, no reason to suspect hacking, no animation into cover / prone / run away. I've seen this probably three or four times, two of them today.

It could likely just be lag / netcode, just like the tanks that move a jittery 6 feet at a time. Just out of curiosity, what kind of frame rate do you pull? I ask as we know the game doesnt use the full potential of any modern system, yet it chugs. I wonder if perhaps it's trying to compute "too much" so packets dont ever go out essentially?

Due to my video card, on Barracks at least I get around 25-30 frames.... but others have mentioned that map sucks FPS's for some reason.

And yes, that happens to me as well when I try to target someone, they either disappear or jolt to the left and my shots miss them, while they take me out with a fk'n head shot..... it's not fun.

Yea, this is true. But some people dont have better options. Though, stellar performance with WiFi is a pipe dream and you have to realize that.

(I used to be in a similar situation, then that connection decided to drop on me while I was in the lead in a 40 minute race at iRacing, then proceeded to cause rage like none other)

I know I currently don't have the option, and of course I don't expect miracles from a wireless connection.... hell, I expect there to be a higher ping among other things (though it's actually quite good with what I have for internet).... but I don't have any issues with any other games except this one. As mentioned before, my pings are usually in the 30-60 range... sometimes in the 100's but rare. Even on a server with a ping of 40 I get this speed hack crap.... so if it has to due with having a high ping, I don't know what to tell anybody, because a 40 ping is pretty good.

And to simply pass it off as "Oh well, that's what you get, suffer" is nothing but mere troll responses.

It didn't happen in the beta release, it didn't happen with the first patch and it has never happened to me on any other games.... and currently, I can not get my modem close enough to my system to plug it directly in, so I have no choice but to use wireless, as do other people.

Simply put, whatever was done to create this problem should be undone.

As another update, I was playing fine for several maps earlier today and now the last three servers I went on was nothing but the same speed hack detected crap and getting another session ban on one server.

Though on the plus side, I did notice that the server browser is now showing populated servers. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wow how could I have missed something so obvious, man you are such a genius, the whole world should listen to your wonderful sage advice...

Or there again you could be just another moronic troll with nothing useful to say, For a senior member of the board, it is very disappointing to hear such puerile juvenile garbage coming from you, really haven't you got anything better to do than troll forums? Sad life you must have...

Back on topic...

I did a lot of searching around last night, trying to find ways to reduce packet loss, the thing is though it only happens in this game, all my other games are fine on line, The CoD Series, BF series, my valve MP games too (Counter Strike, DoD etc.) MoH, Mass effect all work perfectly fine, yet this game (only after the second update) is giving me issues.

The problem is NOT PB related, it is not being triggered on the PB servers, it is not a VAC problem either, the session ban is being generated by the game, therefore the coding has been added in update 2. I suspect it was a rush coding job put in to stop an actual speed hack as shown in the earlier video, I haven't come across any speed hackers online but I am sure if videos like this are there, then the problem must of been reported to Tripwire and they have reacted to prevent it.

I suspect the coding has been done in a way to mark the travel distance, i.e. Player at point X moves to point Y, if you move between two points to fast it detects it as a speed hack, And I have noticed sometimes that there is a rubber banding effect just before the warning messages come up, or my character freezes (as in a typical lag spike) then the warning comes up, everything goes back to normal for a minute or two and happens again, sometimes it will just warn other times it will session ban, I suspect depending how long the pkt loss lasts for.

Before the second update my game was silky smooth, my FPS rarely dropped below 40 and normally averaged at around 55 FPS, that's at 1650x1080 Ultra settings, normal pre processing and FoV left at default of 70. My FPS is still good on the new maps, and apart from lag spikes plays very well, so it is not a graphics issue.

I have attached a DXdiag report for the Trip wire staff and also 2 screenshots one with the speed hack warning, and one showing the session ban notification.

If the good folks at Tripwire need any more help please feel free to contact me, perhaps we can utilize some monitoring software and you can see what is happening live as I connect to a server, it may give a better indication of what is going on and why the error is occurring.

I was very angry about it yesterday, but to be fair that is just because I was really loving the game and was really frustrated at not being able to play, I do understand it is a beta still, I just want to get it resolved so I can get back to playing with my clan mates and friends

Peace out

p.s please guys stop the trolling, it doesn't help, and doesn't make you look good, you just make yourself seem retarded

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-05_00001.jpg
    2011-09-05_00001.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-05_00002.jpg
    2011-09-05_00002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Wow how could I have missed something so obvious, man you are such a genius, the whole world should listen to your wonderful sage advice...

Or there again you could be just another moronic troll with nothing useful to say, For a senior member of the board, it is very disappointing to hear such puerile juvenile garbage coming from you, really haven't you got anything better to do than troll forums? Sad life you must have...

Back on topic...

I did a lot of searching around last night, trying to find ways to reduce packet loss, the thing is though it only happens in this game, all my other games are fine on line, The CoD Series, BF series, my valve MP games too (Counter Strike, DoD etc.) MoH, Mass effect all work perfectly fine, yet this game (only after the second update) is giving me issues.

The problem is NOT PB related, it is not being triggered on the PB servers, it is not a VAC problem either, the session ban is being generated by the game, therefore the coding has been added in update 2. I suspect it was a rush coding job put in to stop an actual speed hack as shown in the earlier video, I haven't come across any speed hackers online but I am sure if videos like this are there, then the problem must of been reported to Tripwire and they have reacted to prevent it.

I suspect the coding has been done in a way to mark the travel distance, i.e. Player at point X moves to point Y, if you move between two points to fast it detects it as a speed hack, And I have noticed sometimes that there is a rubber banding effect just before the warning messages come up, or my character freezes (as in a typical lag spike) then the warning comes up, everything goes back to normal for a minute or two and happens again, sometimes it will just warn other times it will session ban, I suspect depending how long the pkt loss lasts for.

Before the second update my game was silky smooth, my FPS rarely dropped below 40 and normally averaged at around 55 FPS, that's at 1650x1080 Ultra settings, normal pre processing and FoV left at default of 70. My FPS is still good on the new maps, and apart from lag spikes plays very well, so it is not a graphics issue.

I have attached a DXdiag report for the Trip wire staff and also 2 screenshots one with the speed hack warning, and one showing the session ban notification.

If the good folks at Tripwire need any more help please feel free to contact me, perhaps we can utilize some monitoring software and you can see what is happening live as I connect to a server, it may give a better indication of what is going on and why the error is occurring.

I was very angry about it yesterday, but to be fair that is just because I was really loving the game and was really frustrated at not being able to play, I do understand it is a beta still, I just want to get it resolved so I can get back to playing with my clan mates and friends

Peace out

p.s please guys stop the trolling, it doesn't help, and doesn't make you look good, you just make yourself seem retarded
Why are you using a wireless connection for gaming? I would never do such a thing.

Upvote 0