• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So opinions on the update so far?

Honestly? I'm enjoying the ever loving dosh out of this update. Better than the halloween update. I played like, three times, and then went meh sod this and went off to doing something else. Then went back to normal kf having fun a week or two later. This update was better than my expectations had given.

For starters, I loved the low gravity on the moonbase map. I've not had this much fun just playing around for fun because it makes it honestly enjoyable. I had fun finding the zed parts, some were difficult to find because they were literally in plain sight, rest were easy. The collection was a neat way to introduce a new gun to the game.

The gun itself is enjoyable, I love the radar on it since its quite useful being able to see when a big or medium enemy Red / Orange dot appears meaning troubles coming. The alt fire isnt as great as i expected but does work half the time for me on and off. Its normal fire makes it a decent weapon to carry about as a medic if you want something to help boost your power while fighting with something else for a change that doesn't cost a ton of money aside from a xbow.

The new medic gun is half an half for me. I enjoy its firepower but I dislike how twitchy it seems to be. I end up firing seven shots for one click at times. Not sure of this being a mouse issue or a game input issue. The achievement tied to it however seems fun to goof off about doing.

My only true complaints I can make note of is that is it just me or are there "sway" animations all of a sudden? I've never noticed this before at all, and if it is new its kind of distracting. Whenever I get hit when holding a weapon everything weapon model / arm sways way too heavily. And sirens screams seem to be more potent, I've never gotten raped by sirens before and I've been caught in three different occasions today where I've had one or two sirens that just obliterated me without having any healing chance or time to get away. Moonbase or normal map.

Upvote 0
ZED gun - I recall TWI stating they disliked and didn't think slowing down raging zeds to be a good mechanic. I tend to agree with this viewpoint, but barring the current glitch, I would have to say that it doesn't disrupt the gameplay too much. The weight is sufficient to be a large enough drawback for being useless at actually killing stuff and the LOS necessary to perform the job makes it so that it is not as simple as tossing a nade into a crowd *cough* medic nade*cough*.

Dwarf Axe - I am not particularly fond of its strength off perk. The ability to stop a raged scrake is too much power for a melee weapon. You can even keep a raged Fleshpound at arms reach as a non beserker although it does take considerably more skill to get the timing right. TWI even made mention of the weapon being silly in its pc gamer gameplay video, it would be nice if they reigned it in a bit for HoE. On perk the weapon is just too forgiving even with the short range.

Schneidekk Med gun - I realize not many players run with off perk med guns, but the weight on this weapon makes it really easy to slot into many loadouts. The trouble with this is the devaluation of the medic class as a whole. I already felt that the value of the medic was diminishing as the player base became better at managing fleshpounds/scrakes solo. Some may argue that the 1.3k price is sufficient balance, but I disagree. The trouble with price as a balance factor is that if the player is able to remain alive, the price of the weapon and ammo become non-issues. Too often possession of the weapon is sufficient to keep the team from wiping.

I am glad to see the DLC weapons be reskins and will be sure to buy the pack once the sale hits. I was surprised to see them in the regular trader menu alongside the standard weapons. A better method would have been a sub menu for each weapon with the ability to only pick one or the other or the ability to turn weapon DLC on or off via the main menu. The current method feels sloppy.

I don't think the AoE weapon swings are too big of an issue, except for to make Beserker even more mindless guarding a tight doorway. TBH I care little for the class as it is. I do think TWI did not fully consider the implications of 750 quid ground spawn axes.

The non gameplay changes are quite welcome although I suspect many servers will continue to run the mutator versions of kill messages and even the enhanced scoreboard. Only time will tell.

I do increasingly feel that TWI has a different vision for KF and may even consider the zombie blasting crowd its main focus. Still, I hope they remember the older playerbase that may still wish for a more team oriented survival game.

Upvote 0
31840763.jpg

Can you replace the FPs in your signature with Nutcracker FPs, add a Santa hat on the dog, and replace the waffles with cookies and milk for the duration of the Christmas event?

Upvote 0
The new map is a hoot.... one Ill be playing alot past the event! Only minor gripe - its too zerkerish. :p

New ZED and Axe weapons are great. Shame it wasNT a sledgehammer instead... but hey! :(

The re-activating of old achievements.... what can I say other than 'Bless you Tripwire' ;)

The Robot Character is fine. Only the voice grinds after a while... but Ill be getting it! :)

The Weapon DLC... not sure what thats about - gold???? Thats so last decade!:rolleyes:

Rollout - What a total ******! You'd think that after so many event releases TWI team would actually get this ******* right! Not so - it was amateurish at best! If I were managing that project (and I wasnt) I be expecting to be sent to the moon on rocket with a knife and a pistol with one mag, wearing just my underpants!:(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the 100s of hours I've played KF over the past 3 years and constant content updates free or otherwise; this has to be the best value game I have ever bought!

I've played games in their entirety that have been less engaging than the last two KF events alone. I think it's already been said that many developers would have released a MKII of a game and charged for a second time long before now and I have to agree with that.

Having the ZED gun parts spread over the map was a really nice touch and the map would grace any current game.

It would be cool to be able to get out on the Lunar landscape as it looks great through the window :)

Great Job TW keep up the good work! eeeh!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
What I didn't liked? the zeds not speaking as much as other X-mas event (the idle sound, they sound more normal zeds than the old X-mas zeds. And I was in both 2 last X-mas events.)

You're entitled to that since this is a "your opinion" thread.

I didn't take part in the optimizations for last xmas but for this year I personally saw to it. The end result is less variation than the first year but more lines of dialog than last years with a lower memory footprint than either. Apart from Pat's new radial lines, xmas zed voices haven't changed so I'm not sure what you mean by sounding more normal...

Upvote 0
Can you replace the FPs in your signature with Nutcracker FPs, add a Santa hat on the dog, and replace the waffles with cookies and milk for the duration of the Christmas event?

Granted. This is a cookie, not waffle. No Santa hat, though, too much work.

On a side note, you deserve an award for one of the most peculiar requests on these forums, good sir :)

Upvote 0
I am glad to see the DLC weapons be reskins and will be sure to buy the pack once the sale hits. I was surprised to see them in the regular trader menu alongside the standard weapons. A better method would have been a sub menu for each weapon with the ability to only pick one or the other or the ability to turn weapon DLC on or off via the main menu. The current method feels sloppy.

disagree, being able to carry 2 of the same weapon is an ability that makes the pack more interesting

Upvote 0
Overall i am enjoying the event, moonbase is really fun, though it does tend to lean towards kiting. Didnt mind the tie in with dwarves, but why have another zerker weapon right after the DLC? demo feels lonely, it seems every other perk got some love the past three events. the axe is also kind of broken, the ability to knockback raging scrakes is bad, it should only be allowed one knock back on a raged scrake, not an infinite amount of counters that will also eventually kill the enemy.

medic gun i like, it could possibly be considered overpowered by some, but i think it is a good addition to the medics aresenal, though at the same time doesn't really flesh it out. base damage is quite high, but so is the price tag, and the moderately timed reload and very high ROF and limited ammo even it out.

Zed cannon i am not too keen on, i feel like it doesn't really belong in KF, but apart from a certain exploit, its fairly balanced. i think both it and the axe should be limited to moonbase, but thats just me.

i especially enjoyed the return of the classic christmas zeds, love the voice lines and the gingerfast :)

Upvote 0
I really like the update. I'm a fan of the AoE for zerks, because I always thought that should be in there with melee weapons. But when only a couple of them had AoE, I thought that was nicer, made them more unique. Now that all have them I dunno, it's not bad, not really good, but I enjoy it for the sake of it being new and that it's something I always thought should be present.

The price increase to make the buy in for zerk weapons is...I dunno to be honest. I like that they start with an axe though. But I liked having the axe as the melee version of the Lever Action. The cheap and super reliable weapon, on and offperk. Now it's not so cheap.

I agree with Amber that the zerk didn't really need more love. Two updates in a row and it got lots of love, and now with every melee getting AoE, another new zerk weapon, plus getting an axe to spawn with. Just gettin' crazy amount of love when Demo is being ignored. I love all the weapons in the game, and I frequently use all of them with various loadouts, but the m4203 is the one weapon I struggle to make good use of. I really think that could have used some tweaking.

ZED gun is goofy fun. I'm a big fan of the flare pistols and the husk launcher, and so another goofy futuristic weapon is always welcome. I like the mix between realistic and silly guns in this game a lot. KF has by far my favorite gunplay in any game. I love shooting all the guns and reloading all of them. Just unf all around.

Moonbase is a great level, lots of silly fun. Low grav, so gewd.

Overall lots of good variety coming our way, love that TWI is giving this game love and I'm always happy to see new players coming in. I know a lot of people take issue with the whole any map can level up your perk thing, and people take issue with the amount of scrubby players that invade HoE, but to me, the more people playing my favorite game the better. Plus if you've ever played with me, you'll know I enjoy trying to help out new players.

There has been one thing that has been making me a little sad though. This game has so many interesting mechanics with the specimens and the guns, and how they interact with each other, leading into some really amazing specimen removal techniques and combos. There's so much you can do by mixing and matching on and offperk weapons and perk bonuses to create some really unique moves and loadouts, and it will never be done by 99% of the community.

It just feels like, the more crazy fun that's pumped into this game, the less fancy things will be tried and used. This game, unlike any other that I've played, has lovely amounts of depth and creativity with its gunplay. Just a shame, for me personally, to see most players will never get past the surface level of it. Not that it's a bad thing, I don't expect everyone to put in the same amount of time and effort into this game that I have, which is why I also like all the silly fun in this game that's been added. It's great for the more casual players as well as unlocks more possibilities for moves for players like me and my friends. I just hope I keep on meeting fgts like me and my friends who love experimenting with all the weapons.

Upvote 0
You're entitled to that since this is a "your opinion" thread.

I didn't take part in the optimizations for last xmas but for this year I personally saw to it. The end result is less variation than the first year but more lines of dialog than last years with a lower memory footprint than either. Apart from Pat's new radial lines, xmas zed voices haven't changed so I'm not sure what you mean by sounding more normal...

I just noticed that the server where I played was the problem.

Anyways, the crawlers doesn't say as much "grawgrawrwrwrrrgr" as I can remember. it's probably my mind, though

Upvote 0