• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So! Let's nerf!

Helios

Dec 23, 2010
heres one thing i truly dont get

WHY DO WE NERF?????????
people said perks are over powered bla bla bla bla
their guns are too strong bla bla bla bla

alright, so you think the perks are too powerful towards the specimens youve to kill. so why in the hell do you not advance the difficulty level? instead everybody shouting and yelling they want this nerf, that nerf.

imo, kf was fine the way it is. i mean, new weapons, skins and stuff are always welcome. but nerfing perks? i just dont get it

Well...that's why.

and down below i said, if you think that certain gun or perk is too strong for that difficulty, then advance to higher difficulties. as the player keep going up and change, not asking the game to tune things down

if even HoE is too easy, then use mutators, tweak the crap out of the game to hellishly hard to suit your play style.

its like every game i play there are people whinning about some class or something is too powerful and should be nerf, while most of them, either they are really bad at the game, or they are just too yellow to try harder difficulties

Upvote 0
Problem: Some perks were too powerful, and even when not using them, Suicidal was too easy:

Potential solutions:

1) Your suggestion of just crank up the difficulty hard enough for the imba perks. Now you have a difficulty that is ONLY viable for the broken perks and unplayable for the normal perks. Don't like playing the perks that are broken? Too bad, play them or you don't play the highest difficulty. For a game where you should be able to pick any perk you want and be competitive at your role, this completely destroys that option.

2) Fix the overpowered perks to not be overpowered, buff any weak perks, AND increase difficulty of the zeds. Now the player can choose a perk based on what best suits their playstyle, not what is OP, and if they play that perk well, be just as effective as any other perk at every difficulty. There's also a difficulty available to play at that makes for a challenge for the top performing players. Players who played the non-OP perks are no longer dragging down the team and all players have a difficulty available to be challenging for their perk level and skill level.

Upvote 0
The problem is some classes were balanced while other classes were too powerful when compared to them

How many people did you see playing Demoman, Firebug, Berserker in Suicidal? Hell even the Support and Medic weren't exactly common. Everyone pretty much played Sharpshooter or sometimes Commando. Thats because these 2 perks outperformed every other class.

Furthermore your point makes no sense. Buffing up the Difficulty does exactly the same as nerfing a weapon. If you buffed the difficulty so it took 3 headshots to kill a Fleshpound you would still be in exactly the same situation as you are now. The only difference owuld be the other classes would still be left behind.

So thats why you nerf weapons, to keep it fair for all the other classes in the game. There are 7 of them you know.

Upvote 0
Furthermore your point makes no sense. Buffing up the Difficulty does exactly the same as nerfing a weapon. If you buffed the difficulty so it took 3 headshots to kill a Fleshpound you would still be in exactly the same situation as you are now. The only difference owuld be the other classes would still be left behind.

This.

I just think his ego has been bruised because he can no longer own everything on Suicidal anymore, so blames it on the perks without bringing his own skill into question.

You can still obliterate everything easily much like you could on Suicidal before this balance patch, but it's called Normal difficulty now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm with the OP.

My friends and I rage every time a new update comes out. We curse the KF community people who come on here crying that they're winning. That they WIN. "Nerf the SS because I refuse to play such a CHEAP class and they always get most kills!" Aww, you mad you didn't get the 400 kills the guy using SS did? Deal with it. Did you kill the Patriarch? Yes? Then what does it matter?! KILLS DON'T MATTER. Does this look like a competitive game to you?

I just think his ego has been bruised because he can no longer own everything on Suicidal anymore, so blames it on the perks without bringing his own skill into question.

Yep, that's what you always say. Not you in particular, just people like you. "Well he's just mad cuz he can't be a total noob anymore, blah blah a herp derp." I posted on hear before about my dislike towards the hole in the ceiling in Biotics Lab. I didn't like it because it spawns crawlers and stalkers, and I HATE crawlers (those hitboxes make me so sad). If it spawned something else I'd be okay. And yeah, by now I've stopped caring. But I got flamed to Hell for my post. "Looks like OP is just mad because he can't sit in the room and camp like a noob anymore, LOL AMIRITE GAIS?" Guess what? I still do. I still sit in that room, except now I whip around every so often and kill the little buggers.

It just boggles my mind, the suggestions people make. I went on and thought "say, I miss playing SS since I've been working on Flamebug so much recently." I start playing...and it's complete trash. I expected the good old recoil reduction...nope. The powerful headshots...nope. And I knew, I just KNEW it was because of some little kiddies who, for WHATEVER REASON, hate to win.

I live in Illinois. Almost the entire state voted for the Republican candidate for Governor couple months back. But guess who didn't? Chicago. Almost the entire city of Chicago voted for the Democrat, and the Democrat won the election. That is what Killing Floor is like...one piece of the community decides what comes into effect for everyone.

Do I still average 350 kills a match and always get first place? You bet I do. Does this crap still piss me off to no end? You bet it does.

Go ahead, flame me. I really do not care. I know you will, because you don't know how to even have a serious debate on something. It's your way and screw everybody who disagrees. That's all I see on these forums anyway. So go, flame ahead. I won't be reading your replies anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh be quiet all of you. It's not that anyone "hates to win" (seriously, where do you kids come up with this crap?), it's the fact that KF was in a state of pathetic imbalance.

The game was broken before. It is now balanced. Suck it up.

Also lol at the kid who throws baseless insults and logical fallacies everywhere then tells us we can't have a serious discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I live in Illinois. Almost the entire state voted for the Republican candidate for Governor couple months back. But guess who didn't? Chicago. Almost the entire city of Chicago voted for the Democrat, and the Democrat won the election. That is what Killing Floor is like...one piece of the community decides what comes into effect for everyone.
Population of Illinois: 12,910,409
Population of Chicago metropolitan area: 9,785,747

Soooo, you're upset because the 75% of the state that disagrees with you doesn't take up as much space on the map?

Upvote 0
It can be annoying adjusting your play style after a nerf. You often feel robbed. This is normal. You will adjust and overcome. If this is really bugging you, I suggest moving to another game. Left 4 Dead 2 gives you similar game play and a better team dynamic. Best of all, your "role" in the group is simple, survive. All weapons work the same and it is YOUR skill with the weapon that determines it's effectiveness. If you haven't played , try it out.

Upvote 0
Go ahead, flame me. I really do not care. I know you will, because you don't know how to even have a serious debate on something. It's your way and screw everybody who disagrees. That's all I see on these forums anyway. So go, flame ahead. I won't be reading your replies anyway.

I'm not gonna flame you, I don't believe flaming solves anything. Its a shame you won't be reading my reply, as I feel the need to put a fair bit of effort into it.

Spoiler!

Overall I find the complaint quite frankly baffling.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I both agree and disagree with OP.

I, due to my friends being low levels, am pretty much stuck playing normal or hard so got used to being able to basically do it all myself with almost any class. Now they are getting higher up the levels I am playing more suicidal and before the patch I was switching between commando, sharpshooter and support, based on what they were playing as.

It worked fine we had a variety of weapons in the field and could still get to at least wave 7 before people panicked and got killed (I'm teaching them slowly). I didn't have to effectively "tank" for the team being a sharpy. However after the patch I find that being a sharpy doesn't have nearly the same impact and doesn't help the team as much, ditto for commando, so we all end up being support maybe with a medic.

I'm all in favour of balancing but now I find I only ever play support and it's getting rather tedious. But if I try being a SS or to a lesser extent commando it's all too easy to get overwhelmed due to the lack of damage dealing potential.

I'm sure I will be called noob and that I need to "learn to play" but in my mind it's lost that "lets just jump into KF and kill some stuff" to it being a long drawn out stand with shotguns. The game has lost a little of the fun it used to have for me and certainly most of the variety. It could just be that the people I play with are not as good at the game as I do always end up having the most kills and cash but it's become a little too serious now. Normal mode has no challenge for me at all but anything harder and I basically end up just being a support player and it always goes the same way.

As for their being more classes well yeah there is but Demolitions and Firebug are counter productive most of the time as they just end up doing little (demo) or no (firebug) damage and merely blind the team with smoke and fire. Medics are only useful with a decent player using them but the nerfing on weapons helped as I see far less Rambo medics now.

Yeah 2 minds really but one thing I have noticed is the game has lost it's fun factor a bit and become much too serious.

Upvote 0