• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper...

Sniper...

• No, only for people with 5gigs of ram and a Pentium 16.

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Yes, Make the scoped rifle spawn at each spawn point every time a person with it dies.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Yes, Make it so when the sniper dies the slot opens up and he cannot choose it for a while

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Yes, make the Sniper class be an award for players who get a lot of kills as a rifleman.

Votes: 27 32.5%

• Total voters
Another problem is that it would elevate the sniper onto a level of importance that it simply doesn't have. You are treating it like it was something like the U-Damage in UT or the Quad-damage in Quake 3.
Its not. Its a weapon like all the others too. Would you do the same for a semi or a mp40? No you wouldn't.
Well if people want it bad enough (Swordizzle etc) then they could get it. It would no longer be hogged by terrible snipers high on "Jude Law/ Ed Harris dust" or people who load the map faster. It would be a "you really want it you go find/get it" scenario. Seems good to me.

Upvote 0
I can just imagine the pistol whippings/RIFLE BUTTINGS unleashed as a couple commrades spot the sniper rifle at the same time.:D "MY PRECIOUSSS"
Lmao. I guess it would create a funny Lord of the Rings scenario only now "Lord of the Sniper rifle" But at least once you get it you are safe from thievary and it will be your precious for as long as your skill dictates.

Upvote 0
The game might be better if it even were insta kills.:p

I see where you are coming from Peter.Steele. Those are other shortcomings that have to be fixed if they exist like you describe them.
They shouldn't be a reasonable explanation as to why someone doesn't get the class he wants. Its not like he can't fight at all if some long range shots dissapear on rare occasions.
A good computer doesn't necessarily mean the player is playing better. I was first on the scoreboard on a lot of servers with my old computer and I didn't get more than 30 frames there (more like 15, most of the time). Getting the classes shouldn't be dependant on skill anyway, be it one's own skill or whats left of it when the frames drop. We don't want it to be as in Americas Army. Various other polls and discussions have shown that already.

No, it doesn't mean that the player is playing better. Not at all. A good player will always be able to play well ... but they may not have first choice on what they play. Plus, a lot of the 1337 play0rz are really, really good up close, and play up close and personal SMG or carbine hipshoot-fests and they can rack up amazing scores doing it, and a close-range shot is going to hit no matter what your lag or FPS is. In fact, low FPS can be awesome for SMG work, because it seems to make the recoil go away, giving an even bigger boost. Just because they (you) are good at this doesn't mean that you're going to be able to do the long range work with those same FPS, though.

And honestly, I don't see why they -should- be fixed.

I mean, really. This is capitalism in action at its rawest, its finest. The game is made for a certain level of computing power. If you've got it, then great - go ahead and play it. If you don't - quite - got it, but can still play it, then great. If you don't got anywhere near it, then Jesus, use that as a motivation to work some extra hours, get some more overtime, and get a better video card or some more RAM.

I mean seriously - I can get sniper any damned time I feel like it, and I can get 60-80 fps (depending on what map I'm on), with a -mostly- old system. 2GB RAM, X2 3800+, and a 7600GT video card. That right there represents a total of about $200 bux, these days. Maybe $250. You want to get sniper and be good with it? Is it enough motivation to work a little bit of overtime?

Upvote 0
See, that's exactly what I don't want in this game. Capitalism. At its rawest.
Sure, that's life!
One team outnumbering the other by a large margin would be life too yet no one wants it. Being sent into a mission with little chances of success would be life too yet no one wants it. Because this isn't life.
Its a game and everyone should have the same chances or at least as equal as technically possible.

I'm not saying the first-come-first-serve basis should be changed. It just shouldn't depend on the Ram one has as much as it does.

Also, I already wrote that I can play just fine. FPS and loading-time wise.

Upvote 0
See, that's exactly what I don't want in this game. Capitalism. At its rawest.
Sure, that's life!
One team outnumbering the other by a large margin would be life too yet no one wants it. Being sent into a mission with little chances of success would be life too yet no one wants it. Because this isn't life.
Its a game and everyone should have the same chances or at least as equal as technically possible.

I'm not saying the first-come-first-serve basis should be changed. It just shouldn't depend on the Ram one has as much as it does.

Also, I already wrote that I can play just fine. FPS and loading-time wise.

So, then, what exactly is the cut-off point? Should I still be able to play RO on a PII-366? 80486SX25? How 'bout an 8088-4.77? 'Cuz, you know, they should have the same rights to play a game as you or I.

Upvote 0
So, then, what exactly is the cut-off point? Should I still be able to play RO on a PII-366? 80486SX25? How 'bout an 8088-4.77? 'Cuz, you know, they should have the same rights to play a game as you or I.
The recommended requirements set by the devs !?

I already posted a solution. A one minute warm-up time for regular small to medium sized infantry maps and 2 minutes for tank maps. I was able to load about that fast with measly 512MBRam back in the days, with precaching turned off, a well defragmented harddrive and the CacheSizeMegs set to the correct size.

Its a fine compromise in my eyes. An empty map isn't of use for the fastest loader anyways so he has to wait for others to load. Well he could go ahead and already cap the first zone on some maps like "Stalingrad Kessel" but that's not something he should be doing anyways or should he? I doubt you would want to give him the right to do that for the sake of capitalism.

If someone still takes longer to load (than the time it takes the fastest one to load plus the warm-up time) it is his own fault and he is either playing on a machine with less than the recommended amount of Ram as stated in the "recommended system requirements" or his machine is poorly optimized which is something that is his fault alone and we could help him in the support forum.

Perfectly fair. Doesn't change the gameplay. What else could you want?

Upvote 0
Um...what are you talking about?

Skill isn't based on hardware. Performance is. Skill is your own inherent ability to perform regardless of the hardware. You may be improved or handicapped by the hardware, but your skill level remains the same. Of course hardware factors into it. If someone's getting better FPS than I am (after a certain point, anyway), they'll be able to draw a bead on me faster. That's life in the cold hard world of PC gaming. But hey, there's always the console market.

And as much as you can say "You're all just whining because you want dibs" anyone here could EASILY turn that around to say "You're just whining because you CAN'T get dibs."

Give it a rest, man, and tone down the vitriol already.

It doesn't really matter one way or the other. The system isn't going to change in any dramatic fashion. Your best hope is delayed starts which include class selection. I doubt that'd solve the problem, though, because then it's just whoever is fastest to click "sniper" wins. Or someone would develope some console command which, with the press of a button, gets it, and we're right back where we started: with you (or whoever) without the sniper rifle. So, I wouldn't hold my breath on any changes.

Sorry if you thought I was talking to you, several others on here claim otherwise. Mabye they can read this post and get enlightened.

Sure, the warmup time dosn't solve much but it does solve a little bit. I said before my preference would be kits spawning in the spawns. Mabye an alternative would be to have the kits spawn near each spawn, just into neutral territory.

Upvote 0