• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper...

Sniper...

• No, only for people with 5gigs of ram and a Pentium 16.

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Yes, Make the scoped rifle spawn at each spawn point every time a person with it dies.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Yes, Make it so when the sniper dies the slot opens up and he cannot choose it for a while

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Yes, make the Sniper class be an award for players who get a lot of kills as a rifleman.

Votes: 27 32.5%

• Total voters

Swordizzle

Aug 27, 2007
I really don't like the state of the sniper class right now. I have been sniping in first person shooters since TFC for half life 1. I have sniped in many different types of fpses, Counterstrike, Day of Defeat, you name it. But I never get to play the sniper class in RO because I don't have 5 gigs of ram and 5ghz processing speed. I really think the sniper class should be changed so everyone can gets to play it. Many people don't care, but for me, not being able to have a shot at sniping makes the game almost unplayable. the Sniper rifle has always been my weapon of choice, and is a lot of fun for me.

I don't like it when people say "Kill the sniper", this idea dosn't make sense to me. It means I either have to spend my time in the game finding the enemy sniper, or find our friendly sniper and wait for him to die. This of course means I am not focused on the objectives of the map.

Voted no.

Yes, Make the scoped rifle spawn at each spawn point every time a person with it dies.

Hooray for people camping for Sniper Rifle in spawn!

Yes, Make it so when the sniper dies the slot opens up and he cannot choose it for a while

Maybe, maybe . . . no. Sniper shouldn't be a "punishment" class.

Yes, make the Sniper class be an award for players who get a lot of kills as a rifleman.

What happens in the beginning of the round? What happens if he doesn't want to take it? I suggest a one minute "stab fight" before the map starts, the one with most stabs wins the sniper rifle . . . not.

Get over it, period. The only real solution is America's Army style, with training and ranking.

Upvote 0
Well there's something missing in the poll:

I've got 2Gigs of RAM and could choose the sniper class at about 90% of the time but I seldom do so...

Get over it.
Two of your ideas would lead into a increasing rate of TKs.
Look there's our sniper if I shoot him, I prolly can get his class slot!
Woot there's the sniper rifle at the spawn, if I kill all those teammates camping for it I'll be able to pick it up!!!
Not to speak about number 4 if someone is good with the normal bolt why should he want to be a sniper anyways? In most situation the bolt is more than enough.
There is one map on which I like to snipe from time to time and thats Berezina but that's one of the few maps I know on which having a scope turns out to be a slight advantage and even on that map a skilled bolter gets good long range kills -you can get those with the PTR too but that's not your main task.

Upvote 0
The way it is now is the best way it can be without a huge overhaul on the game. Personaly i think there should be a way to qualify to even have a chance at the advanced classes. If you cant qualify you get stuck with a rifle. Should have to average a decent kill/death ratio and a kills per min rate to be allowed to snipe and you should need to get into the cap zone a set percent of the time to qualify for squad leader. But that wont happen so the way we have now will do just fine. Having the sniper spawn somewhere on the map whenever the old one dies would just have a dozen people waiting for it to spawn instead of trying to help the team. As it is now theres plenty of worthless players getting important class roles just think if people with slow laggy computers started getting them. That would make things even worse. My computer was a mid range machine almost two years ago when i built it now you could build one like it for about $600 and i can get the sniper pretty much whenever i want. If my outdated machine can get it that often im just scared about what others are playing on. Basicly if you want to get the sniper class that bad... spend $75 and buy some more ram and remove the spyware and excess garbage background programs from your machine and take care of it.

Just fyi my machine is a 3700+amd single core 2 gig of some of the cheapest ram i could find a 7800gt vid card and a basic boring 7200rpm western digital drive. Its nothing fancy thats for sure. I just keep it running right so the game loads fast. and no i didnt do all those fancy tweeks to get it to load faster.

Upvote 0
Where's the option for removing the sniper rifle entirely :confused:

Yeah, where is it?
I'm fed up with people wanting to be the leet sniper.
z0mfg !'v3 g0t z@ sc0P3, !'m@ PwNzz U l0lol0l!!one!1eleven!!!1
Honestly, i've tried keeping up with a sniper on most maps, and with my trusty bolt i killed all enemies who the sniper had not even seen yet!
He was there for 5 whole minutes, and i was beside him, and he didnt make a kill, so in the end he moved up to a different spot, got impatient, and got himself shot. Immediately i see 5 people rushing from cover to the place the sniper died, and they all got mowed down by MG fire lol...
The sniper rifle is an overrated weapon.

Upvote 0
I voted for :

Yes, Make it so when the sniper dies the slot opens up and he cannot choose it for a while

Imo it is a good suggestiuon since it adds fear of death for snipers.

I would like the sniper class to be inaccessible for a short period for anyone one the team after the sniper has been killed. On top of fear of death, this also adds a sence of achievement for killing the enemy sniper.

Upvote 0
I am more times than not the 1st guy into the game sometimes by as much as 20 seconds but i very rarely take the sniper class. The reason? Well i can shoot for one. Plus if there's less than 6 people on a server having a sniper ruins the game because people then hide & camp so the game goes nowhere.
If not being a sniper spoils RO for you then your clearly not getting out of the game the same things most of us other guys get.
This is a WW2 game not silent scope. If you NEED to be a sniper that much (can't shoot) then buy a descent PC as there's NO way they'll change the game setup because of you.

Upvote 0