• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Smoke shells, smoke grenades, and smoke screens

Donut said:
Maybe you could TK the officer for the smoke nades.... :D

Well to be honist only two games ever did smoke nades the way they are in real life:

BF2, and COD/UO/COD2

I think the smoke might get a little spamy if every soldier had one. I say give em only to officers so they can cover an advance for their troops. In WW2 it was vary common for German and Russian officers to use a smoke nade to cover an advance. In fact the Germans did it so much that they almost always use a smoke screen to attack enemy front lines.

If I recall correctly only NCOs were given smoke nades in the German army, and the Russians only issued them to Officers/Commisars.

It would give the officers some much needed ways to assists their troops in battle through other means than just calling down arty on the enemy. Also if the VOIP is any better than it was in the mod then team work would be a must for any attack to work.

Upvote 0
Gunwing said:
Well to be honist only two games ever did smoke nades the way they are in real life:

BF2, and COD/UO/COD2

I think the smoke might get a little spamy if every soldier had one. I say give em only to officers so they can cover an advance for their troops. In WW2 it was vary common for German and Russian officers to use a smoke nade to cover an advance. In fact the Germans did it so much that they almost always use a smoke screen to attack enemy front lines.

If I recall correctly only NCOs were given smoke nades in the German army, and the Russians only issued them to Officers/Commisars.

It would give the officers some much needed ways to assists their troops in battle through other means than just calling down arty on the enemy. Also if the VOIP is any better than it was in the mod then team work would be a must for any attack to work.

COD2!?!? Are you kidding? First thing in my mind when used them was, "WAY too unrealistic!" Smoke's too damn big, I dont remember seeing any effect from wind(SURE I seen thing rippling in the breeze, ie clothes, flags, ect). No way in hell you get that much smoke to linger that long in one place from 1 nade.

Upvote 0
One smoke grenade per officer should be fine. It promotes teamwork and unit cohesion, as well as gives the officer another usefull function when there's no artillery on map.

Otherwise also consider the graphical load if everyone was just randomly throwing smoke grenades around.

I also think it's historical that the common soldier didn't get smoke, but I would need to check.

Upvote 0
I think not only officers should get smoke nades, because when a regular soldier want's to target something(if the soldier found a good arty spot or something else). I've been in this situation where I'm a strelok in sevasopol and a noob officer doesn't know where to target for arty strike, I could throw a smoke nade and he could target it then, ofcourse the suprise effect is gone but whatever.

Upvote 0
Smokes could be a good or bad idea, today I saw a noob get officer and put arty fire on the only obj we had left to capture, so nobody could get to it.... so maybe if a noob got officer and had smoke grenades many things could happen... like smoking a room then running in and just shooting everywhere until everything in there is dead, and if there are multiple people in the room and it gets smoked then they would prolly freak out and tk everyone around, or not want to fire for fear of tk and be completely destroyed, but it could be really good for strategy (throw a smoke then throw a grenade and they wont see or hear it) [smoke is usually loud]

but if you do this idea, I think you should make differnt color smoke grenades, like russians have red, and germans have blue or yellowish (that could take off from the realism? but atleast they'd know if they were being smoked by a teamate and not to open fire....?) I dno, but thats my input

Upvote 0
Both smoke grenades and smoke rounds for the mortars would be good. The mortars we've been talking about in another thread "Flamethrowers and Mortars" have been the 5 cm/50 mm platoon level mortars. But they didn't have smoke, IIRC. But the 8.1cm/82 mm and bigger did as well as many artillery, so I think that smoke grenades for - say - two NCOs in each "squad" plus smoke rounds for the "on-call " artillery that the Commander can call for would work.

I haven't checked, but is there going to be wind and/or rain in RO:Ost? Wind would be important for smoke and rain for visibility.

Upvote 0
A single smoke grenade per officer isn't going to do much. You couldn't even give enough cover to cross a street with that, it's hardly going to be much help assaulting anything. I imagine squads had a fair few smoke grenades to hand if they had any at all. In the Close Combat series the assault squads had about 5 smoke grenades per squad, and I imagine that's fairly realistic? On the other hand in those games the riflemen teams, especially Russian ones, often didn't have any smoke at al. Which makes sense.

In conclusion... if you ask me Officers should get a few smoke grenades :p

Upvote 0