• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should the next RO game include a progression system?

Should the next RO game include a progression system?

• Total voters
Actually I see "her" as having a face lift and a boob job.:D

Ya wanna know the real reason people don't want to play Classic?
It's not the mechanics necessarily. It's attitudes like this. The "this is the only way to play it." No... no it isn't. As referenced by the amount of people playing other modes. Classic has been tweaked and tweaked ad infinitum and it's still not "good" enough. You can tweak that mode to hell and back , until there is a more positive flow of energy in garnering more players, it will remain a wasteland.

Quote from a Steam thread:[url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/35450/discussions/0/846959520891442481/#p4[/URL]
"Perhaps that player count would remain high if you and 2/3rds of the population didnt refer to everyone that does not hold this game up as the best game ever in the history of space and time as casuals.
I think the comunity might share some blame."

For the record . I"ll continue to play with or without a Progression system. I don't care for them . I do understand why they are there. I don't pay attention to mine as it is . If I play long enough everything will max out anyway. If I want to grind for stuff I play Borderlands 1+2.:) I mean come on 15 million gun variations what's not to love. Oh and the explosions... glorious explosions.

Almost forgot . I play every mode available.;)

This is simply one of the sad side effects of playing any game directed towards a niche market. Stuff like this is present in ArmA, PR, BF2, R&L, Insurgency et al, RO is not alone in this.

Upvote 0
I find Realism is hardcore and Classic boring and painfully slow.

Does this mean that I'm right and you're wrong because my opinion is different from yours?

No, if you disagree with me you are automatically wrong! Geez, some people!:p
Seriously if you say so that is ok. Your opinion. But I fail to see the "hardcore" in spawn on SL, reduced damage, less sway, less suppression etc. In other games that is always called hardcore mode (see COD MW).
What I mean is that Classic requires more skill because of the mechanics.

Originally Posted by TravisT
"Actually I see "her" as having a face lift and a boob job.:D"

Hahahah! That is even better. Yes she looks more attractive to the primal brain areas but is shallow as hell and dumb as a street sign. That fits perfectly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I came to RO2 for a while after it was released and played only rifleman becase some snobs in the forum had me convinced that was the only way to play it. Now I picked up RS and decided I can play whatever way I like and started subsequently grinding my weapons.

On real servers with real people it takes forever to collect enough kills to level guns/class/honor, so I'm naturally shooting bots. It's hard enough to get by without pint sized clips which were not even standard issue..

My brains are oozing out of my ears by now basically. I've leveled all important guns to at least level 25 and am working now to MG34 up to level 50. After this I should level RS guns too. Fun? I'm dreaming of murdering herds of lemmings running around while running back to restock ammo every once in a while..

So, yeah, how about we restrict progression to customized hats?

Upvote 0
I came to RO2 for a while after it was released and played only rifleman becase some snobs in the forum had me convinced that was the only way to play it. Now I picked up RS and decided I can play whatever way I like and started subsequently grinding my weapons.

On real servers with real people it takes forever to collect enough kills to level guns/class/honor, so I'm naturally shooting bots. It's hard enough to get by without pint sized clips which were not even standard issue..

My brains are oozing out of my ears by now basically. I've leveled all important guns to at least level 25 and am working now to MG34 up to level 50. After this I should level RS guns too. Fun? I'm dreaming of murdering herds of lemmings running around while running back to restock ammo every once in a while..

So, yeah, how about we restrict progression to customized hats?

What a sad story....but it shows the psychology of the progression and unlock system. It changed the way you played namely playing horribly boring matches against bots and others transfer this kind of behaviour into the public games by sitting back and getting kills so their weapon levels up.

IMHO getting rid of spawn on SL and the progression system and we'd have a better game concentrating on the game and not some half thought through meta-game.

Upvote 0
No progression, no cannot prone here, no experimental weapons, no different game modes(action,realism,classic) no level up, more tanks, bigger maps, and for gods sake cut down the balancing. Because it sucks that al the machine guns are at the wrong positions, the best windows boarded down,.... if people dont like the realism they can go play call of diarhea. Dont be such money grabbers.

Upvote 0
What a sad story....but it shows the psychology of the progression and unlock system. It changed the way you played namely playing horribly boring matches against bots and others transfer this kind of behaviour into the public games by sitting back and getting kills so their weapon levels up.

Ahem. I'm doing the power-grind so I can concentrate on playing properly on actual matches as the guns already have the important upgrades. I didn't bother with eg. semi automatic rifles or pistols. Bayonet is not as crucial for SVT-40 as it's for KAR98k.

It doesn't actually take that long to level the guns if you know how to play already, about hour or two per gun to level 25 but it takes quite a long time playing against humans. But yeah, it's just something to get out of the way so you can play the game as it's meant to..

Upvote 0
On real servers with real people it takes forever to collect enough kills to level guns/class/honor, so I'm naturally shooting bots.

This logic is a flawed result of the progression system. I'm not faulting you, you are playing as you feel you must. I'm laying the blame at the feet of TWI. How much cumulative wasted time and effort has been spent in the last two years grinding against bots that should have been spent in filling servers and trying to win matches against humans instead of leveling a weapon?

Upvote 0
The only way I can see unlocks working is if they were cosmetics (hats, capes, different outfits inside the bounds of realism, badges, cosmetic weapon parts with no influence on gameplay, etc.) but then they'll not be meaningful enough to justify this gimmick in the first place... Why not just offer everything upfront and let the player choose what he want to use like in the good old days?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I strongly dislike the progression system when it deals with the actual weapons characteristics (scopes, larger magazines, recoil compressors, bayonets etc.).

The difference between the lvl 0 vs. lvl 25 SMGs are immense due to double magazines and/or recoil compressors.

The difference between the lvl 0, lvl 25, and lvl 50 MG-34 are immense.

However, the other minor bonuses like 'suppression, stamina, speed, quickness to draw weapons, etc.' are more palatable and can be a small reward for being a RO2/RS veteran.

Upvote 0
I strongly dislike the progression system when it deals with the actual weapons characteristics (scopes, larger magazines, recoil compressors, bayonets etc.).
And the thing is, in 90% of the cases with the RO2 weapons - those "upgrades" are worse than the basic variant :D The only weapon I can think of right now that actually have a really useful upgrade is the belt fed MG-34. Other than that I can't name any weapon with useful upgrade. Especially the sniper rifles. Their scope "upgrades" are just BEYOND horrible :X

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No more unlocks. I hate having to spend hours on bot servers just to unlock something that was standard issue, like a bayonet or a drum mag. Keep the focus on gameplay! That being said, purely cosmetic unlocks, like the uniforms, are great and really make the characters look more like grizzled veterans.

Upvote 0