• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scariest moment in a game

...One of the best has to be Nocturne, the second chapter in the zombie town. There was this house, wich i prepared to enter... All my attention focussed on the door, slowly getting near, ofcourse volume pumped all the way up :p but it was dead silent.
So i slowly get closer and closer to the door, and BAM! A zombie came crashing through a window to the right of the door. Kinda looked like this:

_| the lower stripe would be the door, the '|' would be the place of the window.
Out of nothing that thing crashed into me, i remember screaming :D
Also, the mines right after the town were so creepy i didnt even wanna play anymore, i couldnt get myself walking into them more then 10 meters :p
That was a long time ago though, i was much younger :eek:...

That definately has to be right up there, it was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the topic title... :D

Upvote 0
I just realised something, wondering if you'd agree...
At least it's this way for me. 'Fear' comes from being hunted, it gives you a genuine feel of danger instead of scripted events that are to predictable.

For example, i can feel a bit of fear coming on while playing Trespasser, when my gun is empty and i'm trying to run away from 2 hungry raptors, hearing their shrieks behind me as they come after me :D
And if that wasnt enough, i just met the T-rex and it truely is an unfriendly bugger, it outruns me with the biggest ease and all the bullets i had couldnt kill it, god i wanted to get out of there so fast :p
King Kong the game did the same to me, as well as Carnivores (a hunting game where you had to hunt dinosaurs... needless to say, the hunter more often then not became the hunted... :eek:).
I've felt more 'fear' in these kind of games then in any 'real' horrorgame, except for Nocturne wich was genuinely creeping me out :D
Two G3 mags to the head will kill the rex, a good point too is that if you get real close to it the thing cannot turn fast enough to get at you. So you keep circle strafing and it keeps trying and sometimes even falling arse over. Or you can pump one magazine of G3 into it's hip and run off while the bastard limps around. Tresspasser wasn't creepy or fun it was just annoying, my chief annoyance was guns not carrying over between levels.

Upvote 0
Well one of the latest scary experiences I had was in Stalker...
I had just got into the bunker under the brain scorcher and that place was eerily silent. At first glance, it looked deserted but I knew that there was bound to be something between the brain scorcher controls and myself, so I carefully sneaked around through that facility and after going through a long hallway and entering a room with some sort of pillars in the middle I heard it.
The terrifying panting of the bloodsucker.And since the bastard was invisible I just kinda slowly backed out of the room to see if it would go away and let me be but it showed no such intention.
Slowly crept back in and saw the anomaly it creates when it's invisible and started shooting at it. To my amazement the damn thing didn't just rush at me like any other retarded AI controlled pawn that only has a meele attack.
It actually fled through another door and sat in a corner close to that door,still cloaked.
My heart almost jumped out of my chest when the damn thing ambushed me.
And that was only the first out of 3 bloodsuckers in that damn bunker.

Upvote 0
Aliens versus Predator 2, the first time you met with an Alien. The game literally had me playing on my fingertips for the first 15-20 minutes, as there were no encounters at all; you were just trying to get the power back on in a deserted encampment. The moment you pull the final switch, an Alien jumps at you from a ventilation pipe without a warning.

I made a "HOLY SH1T RUN OR DIE!1111" run to kitchen D:

Upvote 0
The Thief games come pretty close... for example if you climbed into that tower in that rooftop level in Thief II... or the "Down In The Bonehoard" level in Thief I.

STALKER definitely had some scary moments too, for example:

Spoiler!

But it probably wasn't as scary as it could be for me, considering I played Stalker with the "realistic damage" mod, so my shots did a lot more damage.

Upvote 0
The Thief games come pretty close... for example if you climbed into that tower in that rooftop level in Thief II... or the "Down In The Bonehoard" level in Thief I.

STALKER definitely had some scary moments too, for example:

Spoiler!

But it probably wasn't as scary as it could be for me, considering I played Stalker with the "realistic damage" mod, so my shots did a lot more damage.

I **** my pants the first time i came across him. I quickly scarpered up that ladder. STALKER was a little creepy, especially the indoor areas and tunnels. What i found the most unsettling though was the cut scenes.

Upvote 0
I think were mostly into women.

Sorry :D

Haha, so lame I chuckled.

I have to say that Silent Hill 1 was a really scary and surreal experience to play as a teenager. The school, the misty streets, the rust accompanied with the scary dark ambient cling-cland soundtrack and radio noise... Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I almost **** my pants when I tried to pull the sword from the fridge near the end of the game without locking the chain up with the ring... :D

Upvote 0

Hmm hmm.. (sorry, been playing The Witcher the last 2 weeks- everytime I want to say a simple 'yes' Im hearing Geralt's hmmm.. :D)

How far did you get? If youve got some sort of weapon than you can read this
*SPOILER*

When they come for you at the hotel and start axing your door and you need to fumble for door bolts and push achingly slow-moving furnitures to block them- its the classic nightmare where you need to run but your legs are concrete heavy.
Defintly my most horrific experience in a game. Had to try it 10-20 times to make it to the next safe spot cos I was so nervous.

Upvote 0
heh, yes, that was one of the best parts of the game. the part where you were being chased by the shoggoth and had barely any time to close and bolt shut the doors that were at different intervals in that hallway in the goldmine was also quite a scare. to answer your question, I got as far as a part in the underwater city where I had to fight one of the Marsh brothers with just a knife and the table/chairs to protect me. I managed to beat him once, but I lost the save file. :(

Upvote 0