• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scariest moment in a game

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Allright, so what is the scariest scene in the games you know?
(oh, and please, dont start with FEAR and Doom3 as they werent scary at all lol :D)

One of the best has to be Nocturne, the second chapter in the zombie town. There was this house, wich i prepared to enter... All my attention focussed on the door, slowly getting near, ofcourse volume pumped all the way up :p but it was dead silent.
So i slowly get closer and closer to the door, and BAM! A zombie came crashing through a window to the right of the door. Kinda looked like this:

_| the lower stripe would be the door, the '|' would be the place of the window.
Out of nothing that thing crashed into me, i remember screaming :D
Also, the mines right after the town were so creepy i didnt even wanna play anymore, i couldnt get myself walking into them more then 10 meters :p
That was a long time ago though, i was much younger :eek:

And one i did not play myself, but used to watch, was Resident Evil 2.
The brother of my uncle used to play it a lot, in the front of the ship. (My uncle is a captain of a cargo ship, his brother (who is slightly retarded) worked for him). When i would come sleeping over, i used to be with him watching him play.
I would jump out of my seat any time something happened :D

And Trespasser used to give me the creeps as well, together with Carnivores.
King Kong gave me some scares as well, there is nothing quite like being hunted by the world's most ancient and efficient hunters like the Raptors :p

These days though, i dont get scared of games at all anymore.
I walked through FEAR yawning, i really did. Every time the girl got in sight, i felt kinda like "oh, hi there. now shove off and give me more clonesoldiers" :D

I'm with Nagels on this. The first Silent Hill with that freaky high-pitched radio static anytime an enemy got near you was so scary I had to check my surroundings frequently. Several areas are totally dark.. all you have is some janky flashlight.. and all of a sudden that screeching static noise would start up. The enemies looked like little deformed babies that would kind of saunter out of the blackness right towards you. There's only been one game ever that genuinely had me scared and it was Silent Hill. (I never tried any of the sequels, just the original one.. lol)

Upvote 0
Alien VS Predator 2: I stopped playing it because I knew that behind this door I had to go trough were tons of aliens that jump at your face and crawl on the ceilings. What's more scary then an alien crawling on the ceiling that suddenly jumps at your face to bite it off with some high-pitched scream. Also that movement detector does next to nothing because they mostly come from every possible direction, it just tells you how ****ed you are.

Upvote 0
What's more scary then an alien crawling on the ceiling that suddenly jumps at your face to bite it off with some high-pitched scream. Also that movement detector does next to nothing because they mostly come from every possible direction, it just tells you how ****ed you are.

So, your avatar picture is based on that reaction? :p

Upvote 0
I just realised something, wondering if you'd agree...
At least it's this way for me. 'Fear' comes from being hunted, it gives you a genuine feel of danger instead of scripted events that are to predictable.

For example, i can feel a bit of fear coming on while playing Trespasser, when my gun is empty and i'm trying to run away from 2 hungry raptors, hearing their shrieks behind me as they come after me :D
And if that wasnt enough, i just met the T-rex and it truely is an unfriendly bugger, it outruns me with the biggest ease and all the bullets i had couldnt kill it, god i wanted to get out of there so fast :p
King Kong the game did the same to me, as well as Carnivores (a hunting game where you had to hunt dinosaurs... needless to say, the hunter more often then not became the hunted... :eek:).
I've felt more 'fear' in these kind of games then in any 'real' horrorgame, except for Nocturne wich was genuinely creeping me out :D

Upvote 0
I just realised something, wondering if you'd agree...
At least it's this way for me. 'Fear' comes from being hunted, it gives you a genuine feel of danger instead of scripted events that are to predictable.

I kinda agree- i think fear comes from losing control.
In a game like thief when you are forced to hide from an undefeatable enemy, knowing it's no longer in your hands whether it finds you or not.
When when detected you turn tail and run from such an enemy, and realise the sense advantage has completely reversed - now you have lost track of your pursuer but it can see you. That kinda realisation can send shivers down the spine.

as it goes there was a bit in Fear i thought was quite good- you shoot your way though to a lift lobby where the Korean girl and another come out for a chat. You search the room and the bodies and after a while look up to a balcony where the girl is watching you and then disappears.
Replying it you release you were being watched the whole time you were in the room until you spot her - and of course the others dont acknowledge her presence.
It was better than the bits where she just appears infront of you- though her spider crawl from under a desk was a bit creepy.

Upvote 0