• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROLadder announces some of its features.

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Today we at ROLadder would like to share some of the features of our new website. After our previous announcement of the website over here: clickety click! we'd like to share a little more of what our baby can do.

So here are some bullet points of some features for ROLadder, a competitive website that is truly involved and cares about the competitive Red Orchestra community.

• ROLadder allows you to arrange, challenge and report matches with the click of a button, using fully automated match systems. So players can spend more time playing and less time organizing matches.
  • A team similar to a full mod team consisting of engine coders and mappers will help with creating new competitive content and keeping the game bug and exploit free.
  • Dedication to a single game franchise and its mods.
  • 7 year history of being the most popular and active competitive gaming website for previous iterations of Red Orchestra.
  • A quickly converging ladder system, which takes into account the activity and skill difference of teams.
  • A fixed slot league system, to offer a different flavor of competition beside ladders.
  • A wide variety of tournaments, like annual national team competitions and clan tournaments, as well as special themed short period competitions.
  • Depending on activity different automatic tiers and levels of competitive play for different flavors of competitive play from casual team play to extreme competitiveness.
  • A fully customizable front-page that allows the visitors to customize what news and competitive information they want to follow and be kept informed upon.
  • An easy competition administration system that will allow the staff to easily create additional automatically handled competitions, ladders and leagues when requested by large public interest.
  • A fully featured community communication system, that goes beyond regular forums and messaging, by integrating an onsite (and for those that wish standalone offsite) communication system that allows the generation of channels and p2p chat similar to what IRC got to offer. We will maintain a public and private channel for each clan along with a general and match arranger

A fully featured community communication system, that goes beyond regular forums and messaging, by integrating an onsite (and for those that wish standalone offsite) communication system that allows the generation of channels and p2p chat similar to what IRC got to offer. We will maintain a public and private channel for each clan along with a general and match arranger

Upvote 0
well you can't do much about the language barrier beside possibly implementing something like google translate (could be nifty actually).

You automatically join the chat channels when visiting the site, so whenever someone is on the site he can get messaged. And you have off site clients that you can simply run on windows. But for details about that system you'd be best of asking at the ROL forums as I don't know all the details about that bit.

We had a gather for clan matches before and a special segment on the site for arranging matches. Although in the end for any system to work well depends on how big the user base is that connects to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
About the language thingy I was thinking of a system that is not dependent on p2p communications that is totally dependent on knowledge in english. Either a system where you press buttons, or just a sort of "phrase-glossary" where you can just copy for instance the text "We cannot play today" (or learn it) and then have that text in your own language. If there are around 10 phrases like that, the direct communications could work a lot better. I have never tried out a similar system like that, but it would be interesting to do so. I wonder if google translate could work. From what I understand it is really important people does not misspell I also wonder if it gives you the information you need as you really need to understand exactly what the other guy says, and not just what he says in general.

I guess there will be 2 ways to globally look for opponents? Spontanous/instant matches (no time and date, just "right now") and scheduling like you say put "wednesday 24th 21.00 CET" in a calender.

Upvote 0
Give worluk a pm @ roladder.net (or here) as I cannot say what is feasible or not. It sounds like a good suggestion. But of course there needs to be enough time to implement all stuff. So for details about the communication system you shouldn't talk to me :p. I'd be happy to answer questions about scoring systems though ^^.

We don't know when ROHOS will release so in that sense we don't know how much time we have for additional stuff. (although logically new stuff will be added after release as well).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder, I tried to discuss such things on the roladder forum but didn't get much relevant response at all. Felt like people doing things behind closed doors for personal gain, not for the best for rohos. I bet I am not alone with that feeling, and I fear rohos will suffer for that =(.

I also touched the subject of that a system is dependent on the amount of users and how to deal with that, but I didn't even get a single respons at all on that part =(.

So I have no hopes at all on getting answers and being listened to as the intelligent and experienced person in the gaming community I am. The other threads I made at ROLadder got excellent respons though =).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder, I tried to discuss such things on the roladder forum but didn't get much relevant response at all. Felt like people doing things behind closed doors for personal gain, not for the best for rohos. I bet I am not alone with that feeling, and I fear rohos will suffer for that =(.

I also touched the subject of that a system is dependent on the amount of users and how to deal with that, but I didn't even get a single respons at all on that part =(.

So I have no hopes at all on getting answers and being listened to as the intelligent and experienced person in the gaming community I am. The other threads I made at ROLadder got excellent respons though =).

Im sorry you got the feeling. It probably came across like that due to some unpleasant experiences in the past. A lot of talk and close to no walk. Everyone who is willing to actually do something is very welcome to help wherever he can.
You will also have experienced that its not too wise to talk about things that are planed but currently in a state of development. Which doesnt mean that those that implement the stuff are not reading or listening to it. I actually thought your communications thread at roladder being valuable input.

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
A suggestion about how teams should be allocated to different tiers or leagues:

Each team that signs up is assigned into a group with 3 other teams that signed up. It must play all the other teams and then depending on its points it is assigned to a league.

3 wins gets you assigned to the highest league, 2 wins to the second highest 1 win to third highest and 0 wins to the lowest. If there are too many teams in one league and too few in another reallocate some teams from one to another depending on whose performance was worst/best.

Upvote 0
A suggestion about how teams should be allocated to different tiers or leagues:

Each team that signs up is assigned into a group with 3 other teams that signed up. It must play all the other teams and then depending on its points it is assigned to a league.

3 wins gets you assigned to the highest league, 2 wins to the second highest 1 win to third highest and 0 wins to the lowest. If there are too many teams in one league and too few in another reallocate some teams from one to another depending on whose performance was worst/best.

An issue is that by random selecting those teams you could get a team of 3 very strong teams and 3 very weak teams.

For initially determining a ranking in my opinion the best is to put everybody in a big ladder initially letting the system converge a bit. And then cutting groups up in sections. The same could be used later on to determine in what section a new team should start.

It's more about how to transfer people neatly on to different sections, although I think again that a global ladder behind the tiers could bring a solution to that.

@snuffeldjuret I'm sorry if you got that feeling. Although personally I cannot really think of any personal gain we could possibly have with ROLadder. We're not busy with ROLadder because we love doing unpaid work, we're doing this because we want to create a competitive home for the community. We want to create a place to play RO competitively, in a place that is made and designed specifically for the community and gameplay of Red Orchestra.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@snuffeldjuret I'm sorry if you got that feeling. Although personally I cannot really think of any personal gain we could possibly have with ROLadder. We're not busy with ROLadder because we love doing unpaid work, we're doing this because we want to create a competitive home for the community. We want to create a place to play RO competitively, in a place that is made and designed specifically for the community and gameplay of Red Orchestra.
Yea sorry, I meant sort of more like "personal gain" as in trying to "monopolize competitive RO". If all clans find instant and scheduled scrims/pcws via roladder website, that puts roladder in a good position over places like ESL. If ESL and clans that house at ESL does not want to put ESL in a worse position then they might feel they cannot support the scrim/pcw finding system at roladder, and we have a splitted community =(. It's just this single issue that I would have done different than I have interpreted roladder have done =). I would have worked with the concept "by the community, for the community" rather than just "designed for the community". Simply because it is way easier to get people to like what is created if they were a part of the production process. I cannot imagine that your experience is different in that area, both from IRL and Online. Get the community to list all different systems that is possible, and what is good and bad with them. With those facts listed and discussed about the conclusion would probably be that what roladder does right now in my impression would be the desired system. The only difference would be a more open process where clans will find it easier to support it. Perhaps people would in general think that using the steam group chat is extremely easy and has the needed features easily accessed, but would that be wrong? If the community would want it, then I think the community should have it. But it's tough to get the community organized like that, so I would have hoped that roladder would have been the initiatior of such a collaboration between engaged people like you guys and more or less engaged clans =).

A few last words =). Something that is so extremely dependent on that the clans like it as a system to find spontaneous/instant matches, should benefit a lot from having the whole community involved to begin with. It has nothing to do with what roladder will be or has for plans, merely a sort of "survey" of what people actually want. Let them find out what they want before you present to them something that they want, becuase when they see what they want is not really what they want if they didn't figure that out by themselves ;).

Last edited:
Upvote 0