• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO1 vs RO2

First let me say, Murphy and Cyper, both very well written and on target.

I find RO2 a little more immersive. Interestingly enough, many of us jump back and forth between the two. RO1 is still quite popular on our server, so it will stay as long as folks want it.

...But you know, I still think it's too early to make a quick judgement about feel. I say this because right now, the maps are totally focused on the congested urban battle of Stalingrad. When folks start making maps covering other phases of the war, the whole feel could dramatically change. Particularly with combined arms.

There is actually, when you think about it, some possible merit to that.

TWI elaborated on to a number of scaling issues that made people look 2x further away in Ost, and they have also given us what is easily a 2x - 4x zoom to the real life scale ( from the zoomed out 90 FOV ). So a combat distance that was 50 M in Ost, the equivalent would be 200 M in Hos. And the combined arms 100-200M in Ost would easily be 300-800M in Hos.

So while the maps may have increase slightly in size, the ability to reach out and touch at range has increased much further.

nader, I think cyper was trying to say he dident like lockdown....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
nader, I think cyper was trying to say he dident like lockdown....

Right, but saying it's arcadish and unrealistic doesn't do anything to elaborate on the grievances we have with lockdown, and it doesn't do anything to explain to the developers why we dislike the feature. So, I was elaborating on his statement with some concrete reasons why it's bad. I totally agree with him that it's a terrible feature, but I didn't like how he articulated the counter-argument.

As for the rest of your post, you've basically hit the nail on the head. The engagement ranges are -much- farther in RO2 than in ROOST. Danzig, a fairly small map in ROOST, is now absolutely claustrophobic in RO2. Between the upped movement speed, the more accurate weapons, and the lockdown timer, you're really dealing with a swirling maelstrom of chaos as opposed to the more deliberate struggle in Danzig.

Wait for the larger combined arms maps to start cropping up and I think everyone will have a lot more appreciation for the new weapon handling mechanics. As it stands now, all we have is CQC map after CQC map, and it doesn't really do the mechanics justice. If this is all we were going to be playing on, I'd agree that the weapons might be a bit too accurate, but I get the feeling that attitudes will change once you're hiding in a thicket of trees trying to line up a 300m shot on that pesky machine gunner across an open field.

Upvote 0
What I don't like about RO2:

1. Huge number of bugs in first week of the release.
2. Most of the bugs are sorted but still some are present like first shoot issue, sound issue and can't kill player in prone with bayonet. Knowing Tripwire they will fix majority of bugs if not all of them so this is not a big issue.
3. Maps are the biggest problem in RO2. Maps in RO1 one were much better. In RO2 it looks like someone else was making maps. Tank map is unplayable crap. Most of them are too big. Spawn Protection sux (Grain Elevator if you are a German and get pinned in the first cap zone).
4. Tank battles don't exist. Only one map and only 2 types of tanks. Combined maps infantry / tanks were much better made in RO1 (Koningsplatz for example)
5. Realism was better made in RO1.
6. Weapon Selection: Mkb 42 for example. How many German soldiers had that weapon in 1942 in the Eastern front?
7. Clan matches. 8 vs 8 on this maps? WTF? Small elite clans don't want more players cos they could get bad players and they just want the best. Problem is, the ladder is made by some community elitist of clans. Their league, 8 player teams -> lots of teams in the beginning -> the community will shrink faster then it did in RO1.
8. Left CTRL is a miracle button! One button for everything.
9. Static MG's are useless. The level design is poor most of the time and those weapons are in positions where even a pacifistic librarian with no idea of tactics wouldn't have put them. The level design is generally very poor on most maps.
I thinks this is enough for now. I appreciate developers effort and I hope they will earn even more money because they deserve it. I wouldn't mind some DLC for 10$ - 15$ from Tripwire. For me graphics looks very good. Main issue with RO2 for me is a gameplay and there is a biggest problem. They screwed up where RO1 had a strongest point.

This is my opinion and I hope didn't insult anyone.

Upvote 0
For any game I've bought during the last two years or so, I determine it's worth on this point only.

The game is utterly fantastic if (and only if), during my first week playing, none of the following thoughts enter my head:

I just bought Call of Duty 57: Fail of Stupid! WTF?!
ARCADE GAMEPLAY mlhroyj]t[uhttjjfffkl]\;9
Mainstreeeeeeeam.
Why am I running so fast?!
Devs ruined the game... guess I'm crying myself to sleep again tonight.
Since when can someone aim a rifle for more than 4 seconds without going into cardiac arrest?
What's with all these run'n'gun-ignore-the-objective-OMG-a-5-killstreak-nublets running around?
Who in god's name decided it was a good idea to have more than one submachine gunner per team?
This game is about as realistic as Battlefield! For shame!
The respawn times are greater than 2 minutes, what the hell...?
NOT TACTICAL ENOUGH
NOT BRUTAL/HARROWING/TRAUMATIZING ENOUGH
If I wanted to use weapons that were simple to aim and fire, I'd be playing Black Ops.
*developer name* has officially sold out! The urge to vomit is overwhelming.
Screw you people, I'm going back to *name of 5 year old game*!
This machine gun sounds nothing like the machine gun I have at home...
Why is no one whining about the appalling lack teamwork on VOIP?
Shouldn't a grenade make noise when it explodes?
THIS GAME IS THE MOST BUG INFESTED I HAVE EVER WITNESSED. Someone find Orkin's telephone number for me.
Woah, wait a second, how did I get to level 5 in under 3 weeks?!
Why aren't the Russians speaking Russian?
Et cetera, et cetera...

I rest my case. RO2 is officially a complete and total joke. And just so everyone can be proud of me, I want you all to know that I'll be sending angrily-worded emails to Tripwire over the course of the next month.
:mad: :mad:,:mad::IS2::mad:,:mad: :mad:
...:mad: :IS2::IS2: :mad:...

Upvote 0
I loved RO1 because it was slow and positioning was a LOT more important than a fast trigger-finger.

Signed

The RO2 forums are no fun either. During the RO1 days people had constructive criticism and we would all come together from time to time to laugh about someone who suggested something from Enemy At the Gates.

So true. While I have registered only very late, I have read the forums for years. The attitude on posts has become so different when the whole downvoting and upvoting started. Any forum that introduces likes/dislikes; +/-, green bars/red bars... goes down imho because people are flaming each other.

I remember that in the mod days, before the introduction of tanks to the game, I was new, on a slow laptop with a bad ping, running around, teamkilling a lot because, well I was new, and people were not shouting, people were helping and supporting, teaching in a good way.
Then tanks were introduced and I was in the US for studies and 2 americans taught me how to team tank. Seemed like, no matter where I go (server wise), nice people, helpful and supportive. Around June this year, I could feel a lot of new guys coming to RO, because they wanted to try it before RO2 comes.
Needless to say that there were nice newcomers that wanted to learn the game, but the rushing horde was there, punished, calling everybody a cheater, noob, mother***** and so on, while they didn't get that you should use your brain to survive.

Now in RO2, run'n'gun style is paying out. Fine. Design choice which I hate, but okay, I didn't make the game. However, the same kind of people as described above are the kings of the battlefield and the insults are even better. "Fish-eating German scumbag" was my favorite last night.
Now you could say that the problem lies on the server admins not taking care of it. Truth is: I hardly see any server admin. According to my steam friends list, they haven't been playing the game for 4-8 days.

Maybe time will change this, who knows. I just know that I will not be very communicative in the game anymore, except I see "known faces" or people that know how to properly communicate. Sad thing that.

Upvote 0