• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Kriegstadt Beta 2

I think I broke a record today... 190 points in 30 minutes as a defending German. 160 of those points gotten in about 15 minutes in the pantherturm. I died as my final belt of coaxial ammo was coming to an end. I still had about 15 AP shells. In the end, the Russians weren't even bringing up the tanks.

We lost the round out of reinforcements though, with 1 minute and change remaining. It was epic, and much voip was used to coordinate the german defence. It was a pleasure to see a wave of german infantry falling back once an objective became untennable, or too much of a meatgrinder. Was kicked with 5 minutes remaining just shy of 300 points, all this in one round.

Yeah, I was in that round too. Simply one of the best games of RO ive ever played. In particular great team work meant that we were falling back sensibly and using the map to its best abilities. Incredibly close at the end, were down to a couple of minutes when they finally overan us.

I was manning an MG for most of the round and it was brilliant- there a some fantastic places around the bank and donsburg apartments where you can get brilliant restricted fields of fire that the russkies simply have to run across. The only downpoint was the predictable eejits not turning off auto load ad breaking our PAK's :(

Anyway- great work Hobo, my only mild criticism would be that some of the later objectives feel a bit spartan, and could do with more rubble at the base of the buildings etc.

Upvote 0
It doesnt matter - we as players love it. In that sense it's a success, and I think TWI, whether or not they 'like it', could learn some things about what players want.

Anytime I see this map running, I jump on it. Doesnt matter if the server is deep in Germany and I have a 200 ping - the map is that good. For me the adjusted tracers on MG fire is the best thing going.

If I can make a suggestion to the RTR guys - last night I was playing this on your server which was fully loaded at the time.. I think that's around 44 players if I'm not mistaken... well, it was really chugging along quite poorly. Lots of warping. I'm not sure on a map like this that it can handle so much activity. Maybe consider shaving off 2-4 slots, just so you get the best performance possible. Better performance is much more desireable than lots of players. One more thing, would it be possible to bump the TK allowance just a touch seeing as how TK's happen on this map? I saw plenty of guys who were playing seriously, including myself, who were bumped cause, well you know, some guys can't help but run forward even though they are supposed to be defending (session ban after working hard for 45 minutes is a killer :(). Anyways, thanks for hosting this map, and hopefully we'll see more NA folks filling it up!

Upvote 0
I was playing with Rez last night as well good times. I think this map needs a kick ban mutator unless you can adjust the kick limits per map. Playing for 30 mins and getting a session ban was not fun I did it. It also amounts to a lot of players not forgiving when they should their perogitive though I guess. Maybe the server message could pop up a reminder(maybe it does, cant remember). I think there is a function for EH to put in the map a write to screen order which could say to not forget to forgive or something(just a suggestion). Your last TK you dont get a chance to get a Forgive anyway. so maybe 4 should be 5 on the RTR server. Thanks for the Server RTR.

Upvote 0
If I can make a suggestion to the RTR guys - last night I was playing this on your server which was fully loaded at the time.. I think that's around 44 players if I'm not mistaken... well, it was really chugging along quite poorly. Lots of warping. I'm not sure on a map like this that it can handle so much activity. Maybe consider shaving off 2-4 slots, just so you get the best performance possible. Better performance is much more desireable than lots of players. One more thing, would it be possible to bump the TK allowance just a touch seeing as how TK's happen on this map? I saw plenty of guys who were playing seriously, including myself, who were bumped cause, well you know, some guys can't help but run forward even though they are supposed to be defending (session ban after working hard for 45 minutes is a killer :(). Anyways, thanks for hosting this map, and hopefully we'll see more NA folks filling it up!

I was watching the pings go straight to hell last night from webadmin. The only thing I can attribute it to is some minor issues we've been having with our provider. As many times as we've packed out that map on that server, we haven't had similar issues.

We're also trying to tweak the TK limits to come up with something a bit more conducive to a positive gameplay experience. Too low and people like Phil lose their spiffy 190 points. Too many and some Z*risk type asshat empties the server. We upped it a bit last night. We'll see how that goes and adjust accordingly.

You guys keep playing and we'll keep hosting. :cool:

so maybe 4 should be 5 on the RTR server.
Actually we bumped it from 4 to 5 before the map got rolling last night. If anyone else has suggestions to make the server more "Kriegstadt friendly" let us know.

That RTR server is a thorn in the side of my Kriegstadt enjoyment. I always seem to get kicked after 45-50 minutes of playing. :( Usually when some bum purposely sets himself up in front of my pantherturm and gets HE'd. *sigh*

Come on now, Phil. We're trying to set our server up to host a unique map with unique characteristics. You didn't come in here and tell EvilHobo he was a POS and his map sucked since he didn't get everything perfect in Beta 1. Cut us some slack, too. By the way, there was a guy on last night with a 250+ score, 4 deaths, and 2 TK's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I can make a suggestion to the RTR guys - last night I was playing this on your server which was fully loaded at the time.. I think that's around 44 players if I'm not mistaken... well, it was really chugging along quite poorly. Lots of warping. I'm not sure on a map like this that it can handle so much activity. Maybe consider shaving off 2-4 slots, just so you get the best performance possible. Better performance is much more desireable than lots of players.

The fault here lies somewhere on my end. The map makes use of a lot of Panzerfaust spawns -- over 60 -- and the server finds itself needing to keep track of all of these Panzerfausts at once. Couple that with 44 players, their dropped weapons, and the processing of ballistics from client to server, it gets nasty. Ultimately one of my primary concerns for Beta 3 is making it such that Panzerfaust availability is dictated by active spawns or by triggers, thereby reducing the total number of fausts active at any time from ~62 to 5-8 (12 max I calculated). This should drastically improve the performance of the map on larger servers. Just hang in there I guess I should say, because Beta 3 is a ways off due to all of the college work I'm getting hit with.

Another code thing is, I think it would be good to see a per-map TK mutator, kind of like a per-map round limit mutator, but I wouldn't know where to begin with something like that. Case would be the person to go to.

I think there is a function for EH to put in the map a write to screen order which could say to not forget to forgive or something(just a suggestion).

I could, but having lots of text pop up on the screen is something I want to avoid. If it becomes a necessity I'll look in to it. It'd be quite the immersion breaker when the round starts, in my opinion.

I too would like to extend my thanks to the RTR crew for being so supportive of the map and offering NA players their Kriegstadt "fix."

Upvote 0
Well, the best thing to do to keep it realistic is to make the sides vulnerable look here:

As, you can see the front part of the Panther Ausf G's turret is 100mm+100mm thick which is impenetrable by the T-34/85- I think the IS-2 would have trouble here, not sure about the Panzerfaust 60/100 seeing as it penetrates around 200mm.

There is a tiny part nearly under the mantel represented by the "drunken" red circle i drew that is 100mm thick which is penetrable to the 85mm gun at 500 meters or so although I would imagen that it it is now even more difficult to hit seeing as the Panther turret is close to the ground.

The picture's source is from: Germany's Panzers in WW2 by Hilary Doyle and Thomas L. Jentz

So if the sides were vulnerable then using good teamwork can knock it out for example: both tanks attacking at the same time from both areas: 1 good shot to the side boom!

sorry for quoting a site 1 post; but the front of the turret is not 100+100mm thick. its just 100mm thick! the 2. armor plate is the one on the side. IT IS NOT BEHIND THE ROUND GUNSHILD! the t34 should be able to penetrate the turret from the front, if it impacts with a 90

Upvote 0
Hobo: what you could do is just equip the soldiers with panzerfausts, everyone except maybe the MG. This would largely eliminate the huge network issue. Just an idea.

I was going suggest the same thing here only add a few more AT infantry type classes each carrying 2 of the new fausts (iirc) this could force Germans to form more of hunter packs to get the fausts when the AT guy dies. AT guy would be allowed a couple weapon choices or so. It would also increase the desperation of the defense. When I played the tanks never really got close enough to use a faust till later in the game. On my other comment I agree it would probably be a bit of immersion kill.

You could then eliminate some of the faust spawns. Also shouldnt he BSP occlude the fausts you have from being network relevant? I dont think that once you activate them you will be able to deactivate will you? And once they are in the map wont they all be relevant to the server load all the time even if you were to deactivate them?

Upvote 0
They can be organized much in the same way that vehicle spawns are, or at least that is the intent. They will activate when a said spawn is active, and then deactivate and destroy itself when the fight moves on.

I hope to keep my faust spawns as and where they are, I'm just going to cut down on their activity. You may be right about the BSP, but one never really knows. I'd like to just go ahead and mimic the way vehicles are done and then hope for the best.

Upvote 0
Beta 3 Stuff

Custom Work & Assets
In-progress code work: Panzerfaust hybrid pickup
In-progress code work: Automatically reloading PaK Guns
Pantherturm: vulnerability to Panzerfausts on rear armor.
Pantherturm: Reduction of HE ammunition (from 29 to 20)
Pantherturm: Limit gun pitch to restrict it from aiming too far above street level
EH-M43_Mod: Add German MG spotter class (x1 K98, x1 Binoculars)
EH-M43_Tex: Modify Soviet uniform colors, add more detail to SS Camo Smock
EH-MG42_Mod: Likely renaming to EH-MG_Mod and including the MG-34 for future projects or for use by other mappers.

Map Design
Destroy/Bomb out portions of the Packhof
Adjust the Alt Moabit Stra

Upvote 0
They aren't being made brighter, just more in line with other researched images. See the following post I made in the Preview thread:

Me said:
Uniform color for the Soviets is being addressed. The uniforms were indeed green, but I believe I had made mine too gray. For Beta 3, the color will be adjusted to be more of a darker green with a bit of a yellow tint. For an example, I used the following images as well as seeing Soviet soldiers in Theatre of War for my inspiration in making the uniforms a green-gray.

http://aboutww2militaria.com/May2007/soviettunic1.htm

Though admittedly the green in the previous link is darker than how I have it.

These are images of Soviet M43 tunics, one for enlisted and one for NCOs. Note the light green-gray color.

cec8_1.JPG
56c5_1.JPG

The coloring of these uniforms isn't too far from how I had set it up, but they still need work. See also http://www.rkka.ru/uniform/images/arm_26.jpg for an example of a darker M43 tunic.

Also, for a Beta 2 -> Beta 3 comparison, see below:

Keep in mind that the colors are not going to be perfectly in sync with those of the research images provided, solely for the sake of keeping with the dark theme of the map itself. I suppose it is also worth noting that the uniforms during the battle would be darker anyway, due to the amount of dirt and smoke which likely clung to them.

So, verdict?

Upvote 0