• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ragdoll physics

[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
The Ragdoll setup was redone from scratch and in my opion looks really incredible. Of course I am a bit biased :) Definitely light years ahead of the ragdoll set up in the mod.
I am still impressed by the boldness of TripWires statements about their upcoming product.

You guys are not afraid to build up a high level of expectations about the quality of your product. Heres hoping its with good reason! :D (I have a whole lot of faith in you guys too! )

Upvote 0
Ghadafi said:
I am still impressed by the boldness of TripWires statements about their upcoming product.

You guys are not afraid to build up a high level of expectations about the quality of your product. Heres hoping its with good reason! :D (I have a whole lot of faith in you guys too! )

Have they disappointed so far? :D So far every release has delivered as promised, and more, so I'm not worried :)

(Ok, 1.1 or what it was had lots of bugs, but it was quickly fixed)

Upvote 0
Zoring said:
Man, this game is going to be the best thing to happen to the internet. Bonafide fanboi that i am, i still reckon im right.

What i wonder, will become of the 'spewing ammuniton all over the place' when you get shot? Hopefully we get a 'loot corpse' button instead...

Thats not really possible with Karma ragdoll physics. Because the ragdoll physics happen on your local machine only, and can happen differently on your machine than the server or someone else's, the corpse is in different places on different machines. And you can't have picking up ammo be client side, otherwise it could be easily hacked.

Upvote 0
It's not only rag-dolls of which I'm concerned.

I'm more concerned about physics-powered suspension, destruction for wire fences and wooden fences, rigid- and softbodies, and weapons with physics-entities.

I'm eager to hear about that, I know Karma isn't capable of doing this.
But is there anyway to improve the original Karma engine of even able to replace it with something CPU-friendlier and more amazing (like Open Dynamics, Tokamak or even the now free NovodeX physics engine)?!?

I know it sounds too ambitious... But if you succeed. Success will be by your side.

Upvote 0
It'd be nice (in the future) to see them ditch karma and go with either Havok or Aegia.

Karama seems like it can't do as much or such to me (granted i'm not in the know about all of it's features).

Though of course, going with either will probally mean more $$$ they might not have to spend on it or something.

Upvote 0
Stiler said:
It'd be nice (in the future) to see them ditch karma and go with either Havok or Aegia.

Karama seems like it can't do as much or such to me (granted i'm not in the know about all of it's features).

Though of course, going with either will probally mean more $$$ they might not have to spend on it or something.
It's not easy, you will need an engine programmer which knows Unreal Engine 2.5 inside-out.

Next to that, you also need to know how to implement middleware such as NovodeX, Tokamak, Open Dynamics Engine, etc.

Havok isn't an option because a commercial license for a commercial game is too expensive, even more as Tripwire has won I believe...

I would choose for either NovodeX or Open Dynamics.
If those aren't reasonable options because it's too hard to understand, than Tokamak could be a good option.

NovodeX would be the ultimate, as it can do things like Real-Time Dynamic Full-Scene Destruction, Metal Bending, Fluid simulation, Particle physics, etc.

And as an addition to that, it could draw its power from the Ageia PhysX processor.
You'll need that programmer though.

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
Thats not really possible with Karma ragdoll physics. Because the ragdoll physics happen on your local machine only, and can happen differently on your machine than the server or someone else's, the corpse is in different places on different machines. And you can't have picking up ammo be client side, otherwise it could be easily hacked.

Oh, right of course, hadn't thought of that. Perhaps as a compromise (because it looks kinda goofy all that ammo flying out) we could just pick up their weapon, and then if you held down use or something there was a delay 'searching for ammunition' the longer you held it the more you got perhaps. This stops you being able to just nip out and get a full load of ammo, but also lets you get all you need if it's fallen in a safe place.

Upvote 0