• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ragdoll physics

[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
Thats not really possible with Karma ragdoll physics. Because the ragdoll physics happen on your local machine only, and can happen differently on your machine than the server or someone else's, the corpse is in different places on different machines. And you can't have picking up ammo be client side, otherwise it could be easily hacked.
Yes, the Karma physics engine calculates everything client-sided.
Mainly because of the computing power and internet speeds.

But now-a-days, almost everybody has 128k+ broadband and a Pentium 4/Athlon XP or higher...

That's why Ostfront should get a good engine programmer which can remove Karma and integrate something more processor-friendly, server-sided and more amazing physics engine.

Such as the list I mentioned above, NovodeX is the best atm.
Not because of its features, but it works like heaven. Even when you are playing online.
Open Dynamics would be great too, and if everything else fails you could replace it with Tokamak.

An experienced programmer with reasonable amounts of spare time (at least 6/8 hours per week) should do the trick...

Upvote 0
Ripping out the physics engine to put another one in would take far more time than we have and is really not necessary at this point. Karma does all the stuff that we need it to do, and does it pretty well. I have always felt like Karma got a bit of a bad rap when it first came out. It was one of the first generation of physics middleware, and I think early on a lot of poeple didn't know how to use it properly. A lot of games just threw in the default setup (which looked really bad) and called it good (Rainbow Six 3 anyone?).

When I was with AA we were able to achieve one of the most realistic ragdoll setups in any game, even better than games using newer physics engines such as Havok 2. And I think the ragdoll in RO:Ostfront eclipses even that one. So a lot of times it is not just the tool you have, but knowing how to use it properly. For us, we have a thorough understanding of Karma, know it inside and out, and can pull off some pretty cool stuff with it. The only problem I really have with it is that it's pretty CPU intensive. But for us that is ok, as we limit ragdolls to client side. Anyway, if we're able to do this well with last gen physics engines, wait til you see what we do with the next gen stuff :)

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
Ripping out the physics engine to put another one in would take far more time than we have and is really not necessary at this point. Karma does all the stuff that we need it to do, and does it pretty well. I have always felt like Karma got a bit of a bad rap when it first came out. It was one of the first generation of physics middleware, and I think early on a lot of poeple didn't know how to use it properly. A lot of games just threw in the default setup (which looked really bad) and called it good (Rainbow Six 3 anyone?).

When I was with AA we were able to achieve one of the most realistic ragdoll setups in any game, even better than games using newer physics engines such as Havok 2. And I think the ragdoll in RO:Ostfront eclipses even that one. So a lot of times it is not just the tool you have, but knowing how to use it properly. For us, we have a thorough understanding of Karma, know it inside and out, and can pull off some pretty cool stuff with it. The only problem I really have with it is that it's pretty CPU intensive. But for us that is ok, as we limit ragdolls to client side. Anyway, if we're able to do this well with last gen physics engines, wait til you see what we do with the next gen stuff :)

I think it will rock. I encountered Karma the first time playing UT 2003 and it looked pretty cool. Just compare it to the outdated Call of Duty 2 death animations!
I just hope the ragdolls in RO will look better than those in BF2.

Upvote 0