• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

question

Why the hell are people giving the OP negative rep for a polite question?

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to reasonable man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between knowledge and trolling, between fact and fanboism, and it lies between the pit of man's humility and the summit of his ego. This is the dimension of game forum. It is an area which we call The TWIlight Zone.
  • Say something critical about the game, no matter how factual? Down Rep!
  • Fail to be appropriately sycophantic to members of the 'blessed' club? Down Rep!
  • Express an honest opinion that doesn't toe the line? (why would anyone 'rep' an opinion anyway?) Down Rep!
  • Tick off / embarrass one of the 'blessed' club? Automatic Random Periodic Down Rep from said member!
That the poster is getting neg rep is a perfect example of the behavior in this forum that will turn noobs to the game away should they make the mistake of entering the 'private property' of the RO 'club.' Of course, that may very well be the intent of the 'club': witness the ludicrous post lamenting that the game may become popular (too 'mainstream').

The fact that the forum is so caustic was even noted by a couple of devs (non-TWI) I talked to at GDC that had lurked since the PC gamer cover story. These are smart people. They were less than impressed with the ***-hattery they had seen.

That should give one pause.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why the hell are people giving the OP negative rep for a polite question?

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to reasonable man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between knowledge and trolling, between fact and fanboism, and it lies between the pit of man's humility and the summit of his ego. This is the dimension of game forum. It is an area which we call The TWIlight Zone.

I loll'd

• Say something critical about the game, no matter how factual? Down Rep!
  • Fail to be appropriately sycophantic to members of the 'blessed' club? Down Rep!
  • Express an honest opinion that doesn't toe the line? (why would anyone 'rep' and opinion anyway?) Down Rep!
  • Tick off / embarrass one of the 'blessed' club? Automatic Random Periodic Down Rep from said member!
That the poster is getting neg rep is a perfect example of the behavior in this forum that will turn noobs to the game away should they make the mistake of entering the 'private property' of the RO 'club.' Of course, that may very well be the intent of the 'club': witness the ludicrous post lamenting that the game may become popular ('more mainstream').

The fact that the forum is so caustic was even noted by a couple of devs (non-TWI) I talked to at GDC that had lurked since the PC gamer cover story. These a smart people. They were less than impressed with the ***-hattery they had seen.

That should give one pause.

You know Xendance is in "the club"...? :p

Reactions: CopperHead
Upvote 0
I use steam since first early beta version w/o problems. I like autoupdating and installing games, community features, achievements, etc etc.

Only one thing is bad in steam: you can't sell your games w/o selling it with your steam account. Games are like books, if you done with one title you should have possibility to sell it on ebay if you want.

Upvote 0
Savvy forum users probably know its a 'rep' system (How crazy is it to have a rep system in a gamimg forum on teh internets? And is it not even crazier that otherwise intelligent people pay attention to it?). Not so savvy users may think (as the icons imply) that the + - is a vote for liking or disliking the post.

Judging from some of the topics, replies, and discussions I would surmize there are more than just a few 'non-savvy' forum members....:cool:

Upvote 0
lol.

steam can still be anoying..but in the last few months its gotten better. when i had dile up i installed RO1

(found ONE copy in a store 120 miles away becasue montana sucks fore retale PC games...****ing hax box and ps3)

it took forever to do all the updates, so i gave up on it for like a month...then i found reviews of ro and i about shat! took 3 days to update....now i have ADSL at 6mbit..

Upvote 0
Steam is God send for small and independent developers. Just for that, I'm pretty happy Valve came up with it.

On the flip side, it's a bane to publishing companies. Hey publishers need to pay the mortgage too.

To me, it sounds like the OP doesn't like Steam because of the time it took to update games. I don't think that's got much to do with Steam, as any multiplayer game needs to keep updated if you plan to play on the Interwebz. Without Steam, you would either have to hope the game developer included an automatic update, or do it the old fashion way, and find the updates yourself, and hope the server admins did the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's entirely disappointing that you will be missing out on a great game cos you don't wanna use steam. I'm not the biggest fan of steam but why is that going to keep you from buying RO2?
It keeps me from buying a lot of games.

And it keeps me from playing most of the games I bought that do require it.

So RO2 will have to be a massive cut above the average to get bought, let alone used, if I have to run it/install it through Steam.

I'm hoping it will be that game.

RO1, wasn't.
Left for Dead wasn't.
Supreme Commander 2 wasn't.

I own them. I think they are all great games. I don't play them.

You know how console players always complain about how on the PC you have to do all this ****...

And on the console they just put the disk in and it goes...

It's the same for PC gamers.
If I have to dick around, I will do something I don't have to dick around with instead.

Launch the game... that runs straight from the desktop icon. That installs to the part of the hard drive I use to install my games to.

You know, just click once and go go go.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect

Last edited:
Upvote 0