• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question for army people on these forums.

Zell

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Maine, USA
Okay, so I'm 16 and I have no clue what I'm going to do with my future after college. Today, I was taking an archery class and realized how I really like shooting off weapons. My dad owns a rifle, and I really like to shoot that as well, it gives an immense feeling of satisfaction. So that's one thing I like, and I also like to be pretty active and do stuff when I can. This got me thinking, may be I should join the army? I can honestly think of no other career alternative that wouldn't bore the s*** out of me, and the army trains you to be really active and strong, which sounds good to me. Some programs pay your way for college, I heard, and that's something I really need (my family almost went broke paying the way for my high school, and college would kill us.) Anyway, I think the Marines would be good for me, because I like shooting guns, I'm a fairly good shooter, especially considering my age. I know that the army has really really tough training and all, but I think that's what I need the most. I can stick through it, and it will make me strong and learn to fight. The only thing I'm afraid of is having to go to war.

So, I'm asking anyone who is in the army, is it really worth it? Is the physical training really terrible, or is it tolerable? Is there a danger of getting shipped off to war? Remember, I'm just 16 and a junior in high school, so there's still plenty of time to think about this. I just had a thought and it sounded good, and I'd like a real opinion on it. Thanks. :)

No Immunity

No Immunity

Zell,

It doesn't matter what job you pick in the US military, you're going to war. I've been in Air Defense Artillery (now known as Air & Missile Defense) for over 15 years, and I just found out last week that I'm heading for the Sandbox despite having orders to stay here in Korea through May 2008. A buddy of mine down at Osan is in the same boat. Everyone goes...don't be afraid of it; it's not a bloodbath like the Somme or Basovka. ;)

Upvote 0
Zell,

It doesn't matter what job you pick in the US military, you're going to war. I've been in Air Defense Artillery (now known as Air & Missile Defense) for over 15 years, and I just found out last week that I'm heading for the Sandbox despite having orders to stay here in Korea through May 2008. A buddy of mine down at Osan is in the same boat. Everyone goes...don't be afraid of it; it's not a bloodbath like the Somme or Basovka. ;)

ell the national guard was sent, WtH !! its the National guard for a reason!!! Gah i'd rather not join the military untill i lose a few pounds :p

Upvote 0
Just a small sanity check or two:

1. "Liking shooting off guns" is not a good reason to go into the military.
2. The vast bulk of military service is bloody boring. The bits that aren't boring are quite likely to get you hurt.
3. You don't get to just "join the special forces". You have to do basic, serve in a regular unit, get approval from your CO to apply, get through the basic selection blah blah.

To all and sundry: service in the military is NOT a bloody video game. It is not joining up for your amusement. It does not mean choosing which wars to fight and which enemies to shoot - it means going where your government dictates, whether you like it or not. It is not called military "service" for nothing.

Upvote 0
You wouldn't even have to go there?

Man I have to go to the army for 6-12 months in the next two years.

But you don't have to go to war as you have a high risk of having to do if you join the US army.

Army training is good for everyone and everyone should do it IMO. You do learn alot of stuff about yourself and people in general that you most probably will not learn in any other place. (the army is not only about learning to become a killing machine unlike what some people might think).

BUT I don't wish for anyone to have to got to a war (as a civilian nor as a soldier) no matter how much I disslike that person.

As some have allready said it's not like in a movie or video game.

PS. Mech.Inf is the only way to go ;)

Upvote 0
I am also considering going to the army or signing up for Special Forces(uk btw)

Avoid the Grenadier Guards. I have two mates who both went into it and hated it (Company Of Charvs became the nickname). One transfered to the Rats and later seved in Iraq the other made it into the Royal Marine Commandos but is still awaiting a posting I think.

Upvote 0
Just a small sanity check or two:

1. "Liking shooting off guns" is not a good reason to go into the military.
2. The vast bulk of military service is bloody boring. The bits that aren't boring are quite likely to get you hurt.
3. You don't get to just "join the special forces". You have to do basic, serve in a regular unit, get approval from your CO to apply, get through the basic selection blah blah.

To all and sundry: service in the military is NOT a bloody video game. It is not joining up for your amusement. It does not mean choosing which wars to fight and which enemies to shoot - it means going where your government dictates, whether you like it or not. It is not called military "service" for nothing.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Alot of the guys I have talked to since coming back from Iraq were not happy about the situation over there.

Upvote 0