• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Problems Adding Smileys to Server Perks :)

I posted this in the server perks thread, but figured maybe it would get better view and help with its own thread. Hopefully :/

Question? :) I tried adding a bunch of smileys to serverperks, since i was changing the name(making a modded version) of server perks due to adding Poosh's code so ref's would work and save memory allowing me to add more weapons and such to my kf servers :) Well, i added the smileys as .pcx files, and i tried setting them at different sizes of power of 2. 64x64 or 32x32, or 16x16, but nothing would work right.. here is the strange part... the smileys would load, even the 64x64 in the start of screen/lobby when you joined the server. you could set there type the :) and you would get the smiley pic... however, as soon as the match began, if you would type :) you would hear the sound of a thud, and no smiley would show, but if you went in to the console, you would see that your text :) did go through, the smiley pic just didn't load...

So, what would be causing smileys i add to show in the lobby, and work correct and not show when the match is going on... :confused:

Is there a certain type .pcx file you must use? but, i know the smileys i added work, because they show up in the lobby, is just like they are invisible when you try and use them during game time....

because if you type... hello :) how are you?

you would see, hello (empty space here) how are you?
in the console you see, hello :) how are you?

again, the smileys work in the lobby before you start the match... got me :confused:

Im using custom smileys imported with .DDS texture format.
The smileys work fine throughout matches.

I think I tried changing one of the smiley pics to a dds file, and it did the same thing. I'll have to check, or try dds format, but I think I got the same result. What format for the dds did you save your dds as?

Upvote 0
I think I tried changing one of the smiley pics to a dds file, and it did the same thing. I'll have to check, or try dds format, but I think I got the same result. What format for the dds did you save your dds as?

I used DDS5 to save the smileys before importing them into KF SDK.
The program i used during export was Photoshop with the Nvidia Texture Plugins.
I dont think the problem is in the textures here but more of the custom serverperks version that you have since you said you can see the smilies in the lobby but not while match has started.

Upvote 0
I used DDS5 to save the smileys before importing them into KF SDK.
The program i used during export was Photoshop with the Nvidia Texture Plugins.
I dont think the problem is in the textures here but more of the custom serverperks version that you have since you said you can see the smilies in the lobby but not while match has started.

The smileys that came with server perks, they work in the lobby and in game. I reverted back to them until I can figure out why my new smileys are not working :( I usually use Photoshop, but I didn't for these for some reason... I think I remember, I was because the file format of the original smileys was not supported maybe. So I used another program i had to fix the pic size and save them as pcx files. However, I did notice my type of pcx file differs from the pcx file type of the original smileys. I did try one dds smiley, but I think I saved it as just plan dds maybe... Don't think I did dds3. I know I didn't do dds5.

So, i'm guessing it has to do with the file types, since the stock smileys work with no problems. I may try DDS5, to see it that would help.

Also, i cannot think of three other paint /graphic program i used... It's on the tip of my mind... And i cannot remember the name... I'm at work and on my phone now, so i cannot look to see what it's called, I hardly use it, since I usually always use Photoshop.

Gimp... I think that is the program i used. Because it supported the original smileys file type. Photoshop wasn't able to load them. So I used gimp to resize and save the files as pcx. I have another program i use to convert my stuff over to dds. Forget it's name totally, but I have used it for all my modding stuff, and haven't had any problems with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Original smileys load fine in my Photoshop, i'm very doubtful the type of file is the issue though.

The original smileys would load in photoshop no problem :) i thought the new smileys wouldn't load... but... i just noticed something... the smileys i'm wanting to use... i never did try to load them into photoshop... it as another group of animation smileys... and Gimp did those, while my photoshop was having problems... sorry... got messed up there.... i just tried the smileys in my photoshop and they load... i may try to use photoshop and see if they will work then... i just wasn't thinking i guess... i just used Gimp because the first round of smileys....

So, I'll try using photoshop this weekend and see if that will help...

I don't know why it would be my server perks. i'm using the latest version, and the only thing i have touched in the code is poosh's code to try and save a little memory with ref's. that was a different source file than where the smileys are located. I'm really thinking its the file type or something... because i removed my custom ones... and re-added the original ones manually typing them in as i did the custom ones, and the original ones work no problem...

I'm really puzzled :confused: because, i'm not understanding why the custom ones work in the lobby but won't show as soon as the match starts... and then when add the original ones back and recompile, they work no problem... really puzzled... but, again, maybe using photoshop will help :confused: If not... i have no clue.. because i haven't touched any of the code that has anything to do with the smileys :\

Only thing i have customized for serverperks is, well the name and fixed the name through the source files, added poosh's code, and customized the stock perks, in the serverperksp file. and of course edited the smiley in the source file in the serverperks file (forget the source file name right off) and i think the other source file for the smileys was in the Mut source file for the Mut file. I would have to look, heading to bed right now right after i type this :p

Upvote 0
Well, got the new smileys working :D I used photoshop this go around and then used another program I have to change them to DDS5 :D I have used the dds plugin for photoshop, but i haven't gotten the best results with it. It might be where i'm running an older version of photoshop CS. I think mine is 2005 edition maybe.. can't remember... but, I have loads of plugins and they work, just the dds one doesn't seem to do the best, that's the reason i save as tif and use another program to quickly change them to whatever format dds I'd like :D But, maybe i was doing something on Gimp wrong... or maybe it was the type of pcx file i was saving them as on Gimp? But, all is good :D Thanks everyone :D

Upvote 0