• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Post your very first impressions!

Gotta admit when I first went into options I was sceptical when I saw that auto bolt and auto reload were options rather than server sets depending on realism mode but 2 minutes into my first (and only, had 20mins before I had to go to work - in the UK) game it was forgotten.

Set manual reload and manual bolt, jumped into a danz.. apartments game with 30 something people on and it was very fun. Movement is much more fluid but only gives the impression of being faster, it's not as fast as it looks on the gameplay vids, I think it's just right.

Recoil and new free-free-aim system are cool, cover system is slightly twitchy, not 100% consistent but I think this will be something we'll have to learn about. Shooting from the hip seems to feel much more natural and instinctive. Bullet penetration is a welcome addition from my point of view, made for some very hectic but swift encounters with people in windows and general feel on inf combat is very good.

Yeah it's not RO1, but I love what they've done with it from first impressions.

I was planning to capture my first kill and death but they both happened within .2seconds of each other and I wasn't expecting either :) So couldn't get to the key fast enough. I think my first kill was at a range of about 1m and was with the very last round in the mag so you get the picture.

All in all I'm very much looking forward to getting some more hours in tonight :D

Upvote 0
So far I'm not liking it very much, too quickly paced compared to RO1/DH and the CD mode is nothing short of awful. It feels like they've tried and cater the game towards "everyone" instead of the people who have kept RO1 alive for years.

That being said it is just a beta and I'll give it a look with fresh eyes when the GM is released on the 13th. For now I'll stick to DH.

Upvote 0
As a long time (since release of RO:Ostfront) player, I have to say with the maps and gameplay I've seen so far, I am hoping the final release will be better than this beta.
The maps seem too fast, too geared to funnel players to small zones for arcadey style CoD style fighting and the general "feel" of RO when it came out is certainly not here.

Players don't even get a bayonet when they start off fresh, but they get a pistol! WTF is that?

TWI prided itself on being geared to a realism standard with the community from RO:Ostfront. Now this? Every single soldier on the East Front who was issued a rifle was issued a bayonet, matching serial numbers and all in most cases (in you can find one now matching you will pay a fortune). Hardly ANY, officers in most cases were the only ones ever issued a pistol; yet here we are, no bayonets and all have a pistol. Seems at first blush that the game I loved in RO1 has caved and catering to some arcadey console crowd rather than the standards and the community who supported the game these past years.

Upvote 0
It's hard to write what it feels like to drop a man in RO2.

But if you've felt it, that's how great it feels to play all the time.

Every kill is satisfying, the gunplay is great, and SMGs can finally do significant damage without needing to be supported on an object first. The hit sounds are fitting and helpful, but I can see realism nuts having a hissy about it. The cover system works very well. I managed to shut down a bridge on Apartments with an MG by ducking and popping up to shoot/suppress several times. The battle chatter is actually excellent IMO, it adds an extra level of depth by making you listen to friends and enemies alike to be sure of what's going on.

I also remember stalking an enemy soldier inside a building by listening to his footsteps, then waiting for him. Thing is, he heard me too, and managed to storm my hiding spot before I could hit him where it counted.

It all just works so well.

Now I can't wait to see the finished product. And hopefully the rest of the maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are plenty of devs putting salt in their soup with niche games, RO2 is trying to go mainstream and has features and gameplay to suite that demographic. But thank you for voicing your opinion on my first impression:rolleyes:

But most of those niche games are made on shoestring budgets and it usually shows.

You can't make a modern multiplayer FPS game with high production values (like RO2) and hope to survive on sales figures Paradox strategy games or one-man flight sim dev teams pull in. Or ArmA 2 for that matter. Interesting game with lots of cool ideas and is very niche...but Christ almighty, its a mess in terms of production values, interface ergonomics, voice acting, music, sound effects, etc. Its the price you pay for being niche.

And you're welcome - voicing opinions is what forums are for :)

Upvote 0
-SMG's are beyond annoying. I just wasted a guy at about 200yrds with a ppsh. i dont see why i'd ever want a rifle...

Still a fun game though lol (should it choose to let me play it). Though i did not fall in love with it the way i did with Ost Front.

I agree with this post 100%.

I will be smg'ing my way to glory (see fps spam)...

Rifles used to be sooooooo much fun (skill anyone?).

Upvote 0
So what I like most in the game are the weapons,I just can't get enought of them.I tried every single role available and I had lots of fun shooting with each weapon.Also I am not sure about this-but is there tank combat available,cauze I couldnt see anything like that.The Beta has big problems on one hand-respawn,sometimes as a commander I couldn't see who is waiting to be spawned,cover also has some glitches,browser server is crashing and is totally laggy,had to wait 5-6 minutes to recover all game servers before I can join and Tripwire said that the big problems would have been solved,cauze after I played the beta I feel like very little fixing has been done on it.

Reactions: iTzDusty
Upvote 0
Well quick Lawl moment I downloaded the Beta and went into steam to delete the old mod for RO1 Darkest hour for a different reason and accidently deleted the beta so had to wait another few houes then lol but hopped in changed my controls to the old school ways snatch a sniper rifle climed into a building peeked out the window BAM! im dead lol games pretty cool just a bit dumbed down and easier than RO1 which is eh...not good in my opinion

Upvote 0
After playing now a little bit more it needs two adjustments in my opinion.

-please give us the option to decide if we want to toggle/courch/aim in cover. i hate toggle and prefer to push a button as long as i want to crouch/aim over cover

-the SMG's needs a accuracy or DMG decrease, way to accurate for pistol rounds

Upvote 0
Absolutely brilliant.

Guns sound great
Voice clips are kinda corny; might be changing it to actual russian/german
Levels are intricate and very well detailed
Capturing/defending objectives is so very fun
Fallen heroes is really difficult, but rewarding
Assault is easily my best class
Marksman is easily my worst class (Congratulations everyone else who wants to play marksman on my team)

I was excited for a FPS game which could be strategic, tactical and simply feel good to play. Red orchestra 2 is exactly that WITH tanks & 1:1 recreations of historic battle grounds in a beautifully built UE3 game. I know it sounds like TWI fanboyism, but this game really is just remarkable. <3

Upvote 0
The g41 seems to have a reload bug. I've fired all 10 rounds, and on all occasions of reload, my avatar only loads a 5 round stripper clip.
Also the server browser makes my computer s*** bricks until it's all done downloading (assuming it doesn't crash before that).

All in all though, reallllly digging it (the sounds ugh nom nom nom!)

Hit the reload key to load one clip, hold the reload key down for a second or so and you'll load in two clips.

Upvote 0