• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Post your very first impressions!

holy hell the one button for 3 actions HAS TO GO. Can't tell how many times tonight I tried to take cover, pick up a gun, or bandage only to somehow do one of the other 2 aforementioned tasks. I have a whole keyboard full of keys, let me bind 3 things. Also options for toggle crouch would be nice. Game looks good, gameplay is similar to RO, has a great immersion to it, but the bugs and that damn action key are holding it back big time.

Upvote 0
So far, I don't really know what to think.

It dosen't feel like Red Orchestra. Not at the moment at least.

Bad stuff:

Movement feels jerky. Trying to navigate while prone is somewhat of a nightmare.

I like the first person cover mechanic, but it feels very buggy. Getting stuck, and sometimes I can't even aim over or around the wall/sandbag I'm hugging. And, it really has no uses. You put yourself in a disadvantage by using it. Shame though, because I was looking forward to using this.

The accuracy of the diffrent guns is too good. In the first game you always had a chance of surviving when people fire upon you, because, well the accuracy wasn't pin-point. Here, as soon as someone spot you are as good as dead.

Too many gamemodes. I want good old Red Orchestra. One game mode. Capture, and defend.

And what the hell is up with all the clutter on the screen. Names, icons, game telling me what to do every second.

Good stuff:

Graphics and sounds are excellent.

Weapons feels good shooting.

Same here and for a lot of guys I've been playing with.
I dont know if it's because of the expectation, the "fan attitude" or the official forum effect but I dont really understand all the praise for this beta.

I am , as many others, disappointed by what the game has become.
It just does not feel like RO:Ost anymore.
I heard the guys saying yesterday "when i first played RO:OSt, I knew i would play it for years, now I dont feel like starting the beta" and I share this point of view.

Of course the game is not finished yet and some things might change ( maps especially ) but most of the mechanics are here and wont be changed.

I like the new movements abilities, they are great but waaaaayyyy too fast. Climbing a wall, running for so long, bandaging yourself ( what an unrealistic game mechanic ) is just too easy and fast.

The weapons are way too deadly now ( talking about SMGs of course ) and what is wrong with ramboing with mgs :confused:
I also hope that picking multiple weapons is just a temporary feature.

Regarding graphics, the game looks nice but the colors are just horrible.
If you wanna realize this, just watch a video on Danzig or compare directly in-game. The brownish color of the whole map is just bad :/ I know it's the UE3 engine and so on but still ...

Anyway I am disappointed and sad to see that the game that I liked so much is definitely heading to a more casual audience ( Team deathmatch ? Are you guys serious ? ) and that overall the RO:Ost first feeling ( damn it's hard, run for cover ! ) is gone.

2 weeks until we can make a final judgement about the game and I have the feeling that it wont change much :(

Upvote 0
I got two questions to those with BETA acces:

1. Is there a weapon colision in game? Can't see any on youtube vids, at least not the one I saw on early game presentations somewhere around year ago.
2. Are there tracer rounds in game? Can't see any on youtube vids.

Thanks in advance.

No, they removed all that stuff.

Of course they're in.

Upvote 0
-SMG's own too much the battlefield.

-No sway or so little even after a rush.

-Reloading a clip is a bit too faster.

-System cover too often useless, sometimes it expose you so much :/

-Firing shell 15-30 degrees outside the "crosshair".

Otherwise the game is really good and I enjoy it ;)

keep going good work with bugs correction TWI ;)

Upvote 0
Same here and for a lot of guys I've been playing with.
I dont know if it's because of the expectation, the "fan attitude" or the official forum effect but I dont really understand all the praise for this beta.

I am , as many others, disappointed by what the game has become.
It just does not feel like RO:Ost anymore.
I heard the guys saying yesterday "when i first played RO:OSt, I knew i would play it for years, now I dont feel like starting the beta" and I share this point of view.

Of course the game is not finished yet and some things might change ( maps especially ) but most of the mechanics are here and wont be changed.

I like the new movements abilities, they are great but waaaaayyyy too fast. Climbing a wall, running for so long, bandaging yourself ( what an unrealistic game mechanic ) is just too easy and fast.

The weapons are way too deadly now ( talking about SMGs of course ) and what is wrong with ramboing with mgs :confused:
I also hope that picking multiple weapons is just a temporary feature.

Regarding graphics, the game looks nice but the colors are just horrible.
If you wanna realize this, just watch a video on Danzig or compare directly in-game. The brownish color of the whole map is just bad :/ I know it's the UE3 engine and so on but still ...

Anyway I am disappointed and sad to see that the game that I liked so much is definitely heading to a more casual audience ( Team deathmatch ? Are you guys serious ? ) and that overall the RO:Ost first feeling ( damn it's hard, run for cover ! ) is gone.

2 weeks until we can make a final judgement about the game and I have the feeling that it wont change much :(

I joined the entire speech of Tonton-Bob. I'll wait for the final 13 September and watch carefully how TWI will evolve his new game, but for now I feel a certain sense of disappointment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played a few more hours last night, and I also agree with Tonton Bob. Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to the full release and I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun playing the game. It's already worth what I paid for it, even just in beta form! The game looks great and in many ways is nothing like I've ever seen before.

But it's telling to me that after a few hours, I went back and played RO1 at the end of the night. And it's not because I was frustrated with the new version. On the contrary, I was playing quite well. Especially in the tanking scenario: at one point, my tank was disabled and I somehow racked up 5 or 6 more kills, I guess because I had been disabled in a fortunate (somewhat hidden spot).

But to be honest, I'm not thrilled with these maps. In all three of them, you're basically getting shot at in spawn. It's rush-rush suicidally into doors and widows, die quickly.. Then (depending on game mode) - "switching sides!". Like its paintball or something? I look forward to a few more expansive maps that allow for more strategy than these seem to promote.

But this is Stalingrad- I get it, close combat, suicidal charges, all that. I actually had a lot of reservations about the whole game being based in Stalingrad for that reason... But I think they have captured the chaotic, claustrophobic feeling pretty well.

I hope some of the mods are able to greatly expand on this for different types of battlefields, etc.

With all that said, we've got a long way to go and I am certainly staying along for the ride. :) the game does look amazing and there are certain touches that indicate to me it might be even greater than I'm realizing now. I just hope that in tweaking things, the devs will not forgot the aspects that made RO1 so great.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been playing the beta since yesterday and so far i'm liking it quite a bit. The gameplay is good, RO2 runs silky smooth on ultra for me (GTX460, I5, 4gb ram) and it feels like a PC game instead of a stupid multiplatform game (aka console port...). but if there's something that's hampering my enjoyment, and is BY FAR the worst part of this game, it's the User Interface.
Sometimes it's downright broken, sometimes it lacks crucial options, and most of the time it feels redundant and convoluted.

So what's wrong with it?

- Tanks:

You can either choose to "lock" the tank and play solo with AI crewmen or "open" them to play with a player crew.
IMHO it's a good idea, but when you play with a friend over teamspeak (so the tank is "open") some idiot who doesn't communicate takes a crucial postion and you either have to give up the tank or die again and again... Also sometimes when you "lock" the tank players spawn inside it anyway and if ANY player inside tries to change class it immediately scuttles the tank! What the hell?

- Spawning:

If you try to spawn on your (living) squadleader, sometimes you'll appear right next to him (like in Battlefield games), sometimes in a building neardby, and on the appartments map, even though it gives you the option you'll just spawn at the back of the map. If i can't know where i'm going to spawn next what's the point?

- Class and squad selection:

If the game automatically places you inside a squad depending on the class you pick, what's the point of the class selection screen? It's just redundant...
And what is the deal with the predefined class slots in squads? I'm assuming it's for realism's sake because otherwise it's plain idiotic. If i'm playing with friends i want to play in the same squad, it's that simple, so either i'm pigeon-holed in one class for the whole game or, if i want to switch, we need to coordinate the switch into another squad with enough free slots, and these free slots have to coincide with the classes we want to play.... Then, in order to be able to tell wich squad i'm in, i have to scroll through the 32 players and their respective squads to find myself, wich is an annoying waste of time, and it's even more annoying when the squad selection screen bugs out and i can't see half the list...

I just don't see why i have to trudge through a system like this when battlefield, enemy territory and/or planetside had infinitely better UI close to a decade ago...

Upvote 0
i'm pretty happy with the game so far !

at first the game was a little overwhelming. it was hard to recognize the cues in the music and i wasn't sure where to go all of the time.. but beyond my initial confusion I can see the game alot clearer now, and most of the crashing I had at first was tackled in the latest patch.

movement feels great to me, everything feels pretty slick. earlier I was playing apartments and was firing from a window, it was great to duck down and reload before firing again. I certainly don't feel like i'm playing COD, players still move with the limitations of weight and speed as they had in the original, but now there's alot more freedom and I think it's fantastic.

i think the suppression system is working great too. i was able to help a teammate storm a building earlier by suppressing a machine gunner in a window. I couldn't hit him because he was in cover.. but I was able to make sure he couldn't pop up. I'm surprised by how easy it is to use in tactics.

the cover system is also neat but it could use some fine tuning. sometimes it's a little awkward to snap in and out, and the system can be confusing with there is an MG nest nearby. I'm sure it will be refined.

if i did have any complaints, i think bandaging is a little too quick. I mean i've seen soldiers in combat dip down to bandage themselves before they pop into the next room to attack another guy. it's wierd. I think it should be a few seconds longer.. the point is that a wounded soldier needs to find a safe place to patch himself up.

the battle chatter freaked me out at first but then I realized it was incredibly appropriate most of the time. seems to say what i need to when i actually do - that's great.. and it doesn't feel out of control, which is important.

edit:

the guns also feel superb ! i've been pleased with the weapon mechanics so far.

overall, i really feel that the is the extension of RO1 that i wanted. I was worried that by building RO2 from the ground up features of RO1 would be lost, but it's all there.. and it's much more steamlined, immersive and intense ! TWI, i'm most impressed !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But to be honest, I'm not thrilled with these maps. In all three of them, you're basically getting shot at in spawn. It's rush-rush suicidally into doors and widows, die quickly.. Then (depending on game mode) - "switching sides!". Like its paintball or something? I look forward to a few more expansive maps that allow for more strategy than these seem to promote.

TWI maps have always been on the small side and CoD side of things. I always imagine that the developers have such a strong mental model of Quake/Unreal Tournament maps that they end up designing maps with that DNA showing through. It's hard to say that's true of FallenHeroes, though, but that is not a map based off an original TWI design.

But as you say, outside mappers will create the bigger, less run-n-gun maps soon. Keep the faith!

Reactions: Rak
Upvote 0
Got to play a few hours last night with other members of =TaT=, and while it takes some getting used to, we all found it quite enjoyable.

Tanks definitely take some getting used to! But we got a kick out of it.

What we found a bit tricky, or difficult to achieve was the use of the cover option. Also, sometimes when crawling, it seems a bit glitchy. I like that they took away the option for you be able to turn your body 360 degrees when lying next to a wall or something (and having you feet stick out the other side), but you should be able to turn enough to be able to see over your shoulder.

Otherwise, we are all quite enjoying the change!

Upvote 0
Its very good, but some things need a realism boost, like most things that are being discussed here, like after you run you still got perfect accuracy while aiming, and the smg's are too powerful at the moment, a bit more recoil would help.

But overal the first thing i noticed how the enemies are now really part of the level and not made outside the game and pasted in the game like i felt with RO1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have changed my mind about the game now. My first impression wasn't that good. But after the patch, and a few hours of gameplay, I'm really starting to enjoy myself. It's starting to feel like RO again. And I think I have found my place in the world; Squad Leader.

Love that role. Leading my men into victory, or death ;)

So, I guess. Good job Tripwire.
Worth every swedish krona so far hehe.

Upvote 0