• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Portal 2

So...to those who have played, does this game have any tie-in to the HL series? I mean, I know its supposed to, supposed to take place after HL2 and the first one in between the two, but does the game show this? Or is it like the original where the only thing that lets you know its a HL universe game is the Aperture logos everywhere?
If you replay Half Life 2 Episode 3, they talk about Aperture Science ALOT right at the end regarding a big boat holding some kind of technology that needs to be found. This leads me to believe that this will be a part of the main story of HL3, whenever the hell that comes.

That said, this "console"-BS see in Portal 2 seems very disturbing to me ... wtf Valve?

EDIT:
Apparently Valve has already responded that the message is a bug that accidentally made it into the PC version at the last minute. They deny that the game is a console port, saying that PC is the easiest platform to develop from first. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just finished it earlier, if you liked Portal, you like this, if you didn't well what did you expect.

Not quite as impressive as the first, no one really expected Portal 1 to be any more than a little puzzle game so the clever story & humour was a great surprise. But that's not to down play the 2nd one at all, just we all knew and were expecting some witty goings on and plenty of dark humour.

Took me about 6-7 hours to complete and that was as long as I wanted the story to go on, I really enjoyed it and it would have felt stupidly stretched out if it was much longer. Didn't find it too challenging which was a bit of a shame (wasn't any easier than portal one though), but only 2 or 3 puzzles stumped me for more than a few minutes and I think I spent more time looking for the next 'portal surface' to continue on than scratching my brain. The new mechanics fit in great to the gameplay and over all it feels a much more polished and complete game than the first, not only that is longer but in how it plays and feels. For example gone are those annoying energy balls which I always found slow and annoying in the first one even when you knew exactly what you were doing.

While I've not touched it yet, the coop is obviously there as well (apparently roughly the same length (depending on who you are playing with ;))), but its a shame that there's no extra challenge rooms etc for those wanting more single player stuff and it would have been a nice place to add more fiendish puzzles without them getting in the way of the single player story for those who don't want them. Hopefully we get some nice mods or a decent update along the road.

People talking about it being a console port, aside from that saving message (which I never got) there is nothing to suggest it. The graphics on the pc look fantastic, it ran perfectly on my machine and from what I saw, no micro stuttering, texture/memory issues, control issues etc or anything that you would associate with a console port.

As for that stupid shop thing, yeah stupid shop is stupid...and expensive...though I guess it gives Valve fans an expensive way to support them, much like a lot of us have done with the KF skin packs & TWI. Though the content (cheeseburger operator!) and price of TWIs stuff is much more along the lines of how supporting the dev and giving the player fluff content should be done and less charging

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you replay Half Life 2 Episode 3, they talk about Aperture Science ALOT right at the end regarding a big boat holding some kind of technology that needs to be found. This leads me to believe that this will be a part of the main story of HL3, whenever the hell that comes.

You mean they mention Aperture in HL2: Ep2 and it will play a major role in Ep3?

Upvote 0
42f68b91.jpg

baa92cde.jpg

8)

Upvote 0
TF2's hats and things are optional, cosmetic, and can be acquired without paying at all, yet it still essentially ruined the game.

Not saying that'll happen with Portal 2 since there isn't any trading crap (AFAIK). But it isn't hard to see why people would be upset that Valve is continuing with this potentially destructive DLC store method.

Upvote 0
TF2's hats and things are optional, cosmetic, and can be acquired without paying at all, yet it still essentially ruined the game.

Not saying that'll happen with Portal 2 since there isn't any trading crap (AFAIK). But it isn't hard to see why people would be upset that Valve is continuing with this potentially destructive DLC store method.
That is easily one of the worst comments I've ever read here and that's saying a lot.

Destructive DLC? How is it destructive DLC store methods FOR OPTIONAL, COSMETIC DLC that has ZERO impact on the gameplay?!

Upvote 0
Such "vanity" DLC has become more than an industry trend, you might very well see something like this in HoS as well.

Just another AAA title where apparently advertising was more expensive than development. Congratulations EA, I thought you couldn't get more obnoxious after your Crysis 2 campaign.
Yet something still eludes me: Does the lava turtle finally make its triumphant return this time?

Upvote 0
jeez, I understand your annoyance, as I am generally irritated as well, but thats some serious outrage over simply vanity DLC that does nothing.

TF2's stuff was all about trading and gameplay, and showing off. These Portal 2 ones are such tiny changes that you can't do any of these.

I mean, these are way overpriced and generally annoying, but you must give credit where credit is due. It does not ruin the whole game, it just ruins the DLC, so don't buy any. "I'm not buying the game because the DLC is a total ripoff" is like saying "this steak resteruant has overpriced and not-so-tasty salad. Therefore, ALL things in this resteraunt are EVIL and I will refuse to buy any of it!"

Granted, it deserves some complaining, naturally, but such dramatics surprise me; I thought you guys played games for quality and entertainment, not moral judgement on strangers and marketing decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is easily one of the worst comments I've ever read here and that's saying a lot.

Destructive DLC? How is it destructive DLC store methods FOR OPTIONAL, COSMETIC DLC that has ZERO impact on the gameplay?!

All you need to do is look at the ratio in TF2 of trade/idle servers to actual servers that play the game.

Before I uninstalled, master server refreshes brought in ~20 servers after blacklisting nothing but idle and trade servers. The blacklist was at least 120 servers long.

If that's not destructive to a game then I don't know what is.

Like I said though, it might be different for Portal 2, but it's clear Valve is comfortable with this DLC store model. If they continue with it, you can expect more people to be upset about it.

Upvote 0
jeez, I understand your annoyance, as I am generally irritated as well, but thats some serious outrage over simply vanity DLC that does nothing.

TF2's stuff was all about trading and gameplay, and showing off. These Portal 2 ones are such tiny changes that you can't do any of these.

I mean, these are way overpriced and generally annoying, but you must give credit where credit is due. It does not ruin the whole game, it just ruins the DLC, so don't buy any. "I'm not buying the game because the DLC is a total ripoff" is like saying "this steak resteruant has overpriced and not-so-tasty salad. Therefore, ALL things in this resteraunt are EVIL and I will refuse to buy any of it!"

Granted, it deserves some complaining, naturally, but such dramatics surprise me; I thought you guys played games for quality and entertainment, not moral judgement on strangers and marketing decisions.

I think people find a certain joy in life in pretending they're superior. Greedy devs! Braaaawwwrrr!!! :rolleyes:

Then they pirate the game.

Reactions: mamoo
Upvote 0
All you need to do is look at the ratio in TF2 of trade/idle servers to actual servers that play the game.

Before I uninstalled, master server refreshes brought in ~20 servers after blacklisting nothing but idle and trade servers. The blacklist was at least 120 servers long.

If that's not destructive to a game then I don't know what is.

Like I said though, it might be different for Portal 2, but it's clear Valve is comfortable with this DLC store model. If they continue with it, you can expect more people to be upset about it.

You got some point there, but you fail to see one simple thing:

TF2 is a online multipalyer shooter, which is greatly dependant on the active community to be fun. Thus, this crafting/trading/shop system can be destructive.

Portal 2 on the other hand is mainly a great single player game, and even the multiplayer, due to it's nature as a linear two player coop game doesn't lend itself to be played as often, so introducing a meta game like the TF2 items might actually make it more interesting in the long run.

Also, as I bought the PS3 version, I got the PC/MAC version as a free DLC. How's that for evil corporate marketing and money leeching practices?

Upvote 0
Also, as I bought the PS3 version, I got the PC/MAC version as a free DLC. How's that for evil corporate marketing and money leeching practices?

Everyone read this bit? Anyone?

This fact ALONE should negate any inconsequential nitpicking you have over cosmetic dlc.

Try this with EA, and it's $20 bucks apiece, easily.

Upvote 0