• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Portal 2

I'll have to agree here, that stupid little warning popup every time you try to change a setting gets very annoying.
I get what they are trying to do with that, and sure, Portal-2 could be someone's first PC game, and with that in mind the feature might be a good idea.
But for the love of cake, put a checkbox somewhere so thouse of us who have played a PC game before can disable it.

And yes, the UI is not exactly speedy, nor does it have great flow, the main problem beeing that it allways wants to load a map in the background.
It doesen't have much to do with Consoles however, this is just what Valve thinks an UI should be like, the Portal-2 one isen't all that differen't from the HL2 one really.

I personally dislike Valve's way of doing it, but they have been doing it this way since before they got into the Console market, so let's not put the blame there, it's just that Valve isen't good at UI design (UT3 was far more jarring, because we know Epic can make a decent UI, UT had it, UT2004 had it, so when UT3 most certainly did not have it, that kinda sucked).

Exactly my point. Maybe not as bad as UT3, but very close to it IMO. As for the co-op menu... where is it? I clicked co-op, and it just gave me a warning if I wanted to play with friends or not. My friend does not have it yet, but I wanted to see how to set it up. So I chose to play with other players and it automatically puts me into a server. Kind of odd. No options, can't choose or tell if I am hosting and whatnot. Not that big of a deal since only two people can play, but they could have put some more effort into a co-op menu.

Nah, the graphics are definately more demanding than Portal-1, as there is a lot more detail in Portal-2, what would just have been a square room in the first game, is now a square room with panels missing and revealing more artitechture, and with plants growing through the cracks, there's allways a lot more polygons on the screen (and often a lot more animated and physics objects aswell).

But it's true that it's not trying to push the envelope of what graphics can do, and that is by design i'd say, as Portal 1 and 2 are games that have broader appeal than hardcore gamers, they are very much games that the casual market, who usually don't have awesome rigs, would also be interested in.
Financially, it's probably a smart move for Valve to keep thease games more.. hardware accessible.

I think this has more to do with game design decisions. The rooms are weathered and more detailed because of the time frame. Otherwise, the shadows and water is the only thing that looks improved IMO. After loading up Cinematic Mod 10, I just figured Valve would make textures of almost the same quality! :p

As for thouse mouse troubles you had, i personally felt no difference between Portal-2 and any other Source engine game or mod, so if you do, i suspect it's for the same reason you had trouble saving, something's done effed up, you have some kind of gremlin there.

I verified cache integrity + disabled Steam cloud. That fixed the stutters and game save issues. I have no issues with quick saves, or any saves now.

The only control "issue" i had, is that i feel you move a little too fast in Portal-2, the run speed is definately faster than the first game, which is nice when you have to walk across a large open test chamber, but it also makes it a lot harder to be accurate in your movement (or to walk around and view the scenery).
I definately feel the game would have benifited greatly from having a walk key, so we didn't allways have to run.

I would have to disagree, i actually re-played the first game after beating Portal-2 (the SP that is, i've yet to do the coop), and i feel the sequal had the better puzzles.

But that's a subjective thing of course, so i can't sit here and tell you that you are wrong, your opinion is as valid as mine.

I liked the final tests in the game, but those where too few and too quick. The ones in the middle where rather lame, IMO. I hope the co-op will be good.

Upvote 0
tumblr_lnpo69HXwO1qfrmjfo1_500.png

Reactions: doomis
Upvote 0