• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pistols: Can anyone use them effectively?

I was playing on station as a russian marksman last night and I have to say only 9 out of my 26 kills were from using the scoped rifle. The germans were constantly rush the cap points so I couldn't efficiency snipe anymoreso I did what a good russian soldier should do and stand his ground. I use the semi auto pistol for 6 kills then switch to the revolver as I needed more stopping power and let me tell you I owned the germans trying to flank and rush these cap points. I think the pistol is underrated in every game now a days. I also want to point out I only died 3 times and one on them was because I ran out of ammo for the semi and had to beat a german to death with my rifle only to get staabed in my chest from behide. Not trying to sound leet just pointing out the pistol is an effective weapon if used in choke points such as hallways or landings covering stairs and such.

Upvote 0
I was playing on station as a russian marksman last night and I have to say only 9 out of my 26 kills were from using the scoped rifle. The germans were constantly rush the cap points so I couldn't efficiency snipe anymoreso I did what a good russian soldier should do and stand his ground. I use the semi auto pistol for 6 kills then switch to the revolver as I needed more stopping power and let me tell you I owned the germans trying to flank and rush these cap points. I think the pistol is underrated in every game now a days. I also want to point out I only died 3 times and one on them was because I ran out of ammo for the semi and had to beat a german to death with my rifle only to get staabed in my chest from behide. Not trying to sound leet just pointing out the pistol is an effective weapon if used in choke points such as hallways or landings covering stairs and such.

Upvote 0
Pistols in RL really are not very accurate-even at point blank range you can still miss the target......

Yeah pistols are not that very accurate.... if you're drunk or hold it sideways like some gangsta'wannabe. ;)

If someone misses their target at point blank range, then that need to turn the gun around in their hands & point it in the right direction.

I never had any problems with accuracy using a pistol (in real life that is) and the only time it becomes a challenge is once you get beyond medium range..... I feel the accuracy of the pistols in RO2 is pretty damn close to the real thing.

As it goes for using the pistols in-game effectively, they're very effective, especially when you compare them to the pistols in RO1 or the Mod.

Whenever I'm in close combat or entering close combat and I'm a rifleman, marksman or AT classes, the pistol comes out (when available).... I remember last week I took out three germans coming into a doorway with the pistol. You do need to hit your target more than once if you don't get a chest or head shot, but over all, the pistols are very effective.

Upvote 0
Here is a pro tip from an SVT user.
Sometimes, I encounter people and I miss with the ammo I have left.
Switching your weapon actually takes time.

Learn to throw away your weapon and you auto-equip the handgun.
Neat.

I re-bound my keys so I no longer use my scroll wheel, but use NumPad 1, 2 and 3 to toggle my weapons.

By using this, I can quickly switch between primary weapons, or jump to my pistol..... and if I was in Iron Sights with the first weapon, switching to my pistol or my other primary means I automatically bring up the new weapon in Iron Sights as well.... and is very fast..... far more faster than using the damn wheel and clicking, which I learned playing Killing Floor.

The recoil on the C96 is ridiculous. That thing jumps 2 feet above the the target after one shot.

I remember the C96 on Combined Arms...... it wasn't so much the recoil that bugged me, it was those tiny little sights on it that made it almost impossible to aim with.... and for some reason, trying to aim with the Lugar was just as bad, which is why I quickly became a fan of the P38.

The T33 is a close second, but the P38 was my fav in ROCA and RO1.... it's up there still in RO2. The thing just has style and looks to it.... like a spy pistol. While the pistols in the previous RO's were almost completely useless, I did end up with a pile of kills with the P38 and T33.

I do have the C96 available to me as of a day or two ago, but I have yet to use it to see what it's like.

Iron Sights is always the key with the pistols in RO. If you are in a closed in area and feel enemies are near, bring up the IS and round the corner.

And don't bother crouching as it just slows you down enough for someone to blow off your arm or leg as you round the corner. Stand and walk with the pistol in IS..... you swing around the corner quickly yet accurately enough to almost always take anybody out whos waiting.

I do end up shooting in 3-shot bursts at my targets, as the first round does tend to hit a leg, arm or the far side of the torso, but the next two rounds almost always get them in the head, chest or nutz.

Speaking of which, has anybody gotten a Nutcracker Melee Kill with a pistol yet? That'd be funny to see in a video.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A pistol round to the head is an instant kill, and even a hit to the upper torso will usually be fatal, especially at close range. Just be sure to aim high, low caliber bullets do very little limb damage.

Tracking for any projectile weapon in this game is kind of borked. It seems like no matter what the range there is always a split second delay between when you fire and when the projectile hits the target. I feels realistic at 150 meters, but for some reason I still have to lead a target at a range of under 50 meters like I do with targets at much longer ranges.

Upvote 0
Well it's interesting. I managed to actually headshot several people from across the top floor of the station with a Nagant in Firefight mode recently. So it's obviously not just the pistols. I guess it's got a lot to do with lag. I rarely get under 150 ping on servers that say they have somewhere in the range of 130.

Upvote 0