• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

Pistols: Can anyone use them effectively?

KoldHearted1

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 11, 2008
Use the sights, just as any other non-auto weapon, and pick for center mass if you don't have time or aim for the head of you have time to. If its a spur of the moment situation, get in close and dump it into them but remember, the gun doesn't point dead center on the screen- closer you are the better your odds of hitting them.

This always works for me, I've rarely been killed by the person I'm pistoling.

Robert Timecock

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 19, 2011
I don't have any problems with them. I get a sizable portion of my frags with the Walther pistol. Take deep breaths and aim for the head.;)

Mister Dom

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 4, 2011
You just gotta get used to using them in close quarters. There isn't enough bullets to hip fire it so sight up. My best shot yet with a pistol was on Red October Factory as a AT soldier. I managed to crack off 3 shots at 80 meters and get 2 kills. Shame I couldn't remember which button was for Steam screenshots.

WiFiDi

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 12, 2010
on appartments (danzig) give me a a pistol and ill **** people up llke its a sniper. also just a note pistols aren't weak weapons if you know what your doing with em. ive hit people in the head form 150 meters. :D

Last edited:

bavarianninja

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 19, 2011
I love the pistols. I usually play the machine gunner class and at the end of the match 70% of my kills were done with the pistol, heh.

Littlenorwegians

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 10, 2011
Here is a pro tip from an SVT user.
Sometimes, I encounter people and I miss with the ammo I have left.
Switching your weapon actually takes time.

Learn to throw away your weapon and you auto-equip the handgun.
Neat.

Red90

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 19, 2011
i cant seem to kill anyone with pistols. only times i killed someone with the nagant i nearly died and used all 6 rounds, same goes for the p38, as for the c96 my chances are always better with that. i dont think its the weapon its the hit detection for them, it seems any primary weapon seems to register way faster than a side arm thats why they appear bad.

maybe bullet speeds differ?

Stahlhelmii

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 16, 2011
I wouldn't care if they gave me a slingshot for a side arm, I just want to be able to lay an aimed rifle shot directly into the chest of a guy the same room and actually have the damned hit register.

ptx

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 13, 2011
In my opinion pistols in RO2 are very effective, being a rifleman, I often switch to a pistol when inside close quarters, and actually gain a significant advantage over my opponents.

LHeureux

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 24, 2011
Pistols in RL really are not very accurate-even at point blank range you can still miss the target,so maybe it's a realism feature?Though I have gotten a fair amount of pistol kills in the game,so it could be your ping is too high.
wtf are you talking about?

tw.ed.uk

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 18, 2011
As a rifleman, I've killed numerous fascists with a pistol at close range when trying to clear a building. It's a poor man's assault weapon, really. Trying to use a bolt action would have got me killed in many cases.

Unorthadox

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 1, 2011
I personally only seem to have issues with the Nagant 1895 and Tokarev, the Tokarev being worse. Both seem to be more hit or miss, with me taking an aimed shot at some one's chest and killing in one hit (Not heart shots), then doing it again and it taking two or three, then doing it once more and it doing nothing.

The C96 will occasionally act similar, but not nearly as often as the Tokarev or 1895.

Josef Nader

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 31, 2011
It's not just OP. My pistol seems to have been replaced with a water gun.

I play a lot of machine gunner, and I can't tell you how many times I've been moving to a new location, bumped into a Kraut, unloaded 2-3 pistol rounds into his chest, had him shoot me in the face, bandage up, and walk on his merry way.

I see the big blood splats, I hear the bandage sound, this has happened dozens of times, and the only time I've ever won a duel like this was with the odd lucky headshot.

Honestly, I think it'd be hard to ignore a pistol round to the lung from 10m away...

dweeb

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 31, 2006
It's not just OP. My pistol seems to have been replaced with a water gun.

I play a lot of machine gunner, and I can't tell you how many times I've been moving to a new location, bumped into a Kraut, unloaded 2-3 pistol rounds into his chest, had him shoot me in the face, bandage up, and walk on his merry way.

I see the big blood splats, I hear the bandage sound, this has happened dozens of times, and the only time I've ever won a duel like this was with the odd lucky headshot.

Honestly, I think it'd be hard to ignore a pistol round to the lung from 10m away...
They definitely seem to have less stopping power than the other weapons, as I too get a lot of wounds with them or people who drop dead after they've killed me. I think this is exaggerated a bit due to the close quarters hit detection/lag bug. (Which seems to be getting better and now isn't a big issue on most servers) For example, if you have a svt and fire two shots and one is "lost" due to that bug, the one that hits him will likely drop him. With the pistol chances are very high that the one shot that registers will not be an instant kill.