• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping Compensation! Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I played CoD it seemed to behave almost identically to UT/RO network or "ping compensation" wise.

because no honest server uses lag compensation as it clusterf*cks up the whole gameplay

when i still played cod2 (wich had lag compensation as an option) when i accidently joined a server wich had lag compensation on the only ppl playing there were crap players with 250+ ping, all honest players leaving with the last message: OMGZ lag compensation!!! noob server!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Source's netcode works, it's superior in EVERY way.

I lol'd, good one.

Source's netcode ranks among the worst I've seen, and it sucks because of the ping compensation (as well as the huge, lagging hitboxes).

Every time I play TF2, I'm reminded of it and it happens a bunch of times. Example: a sniper kills you after you have moved behind a corner.

Yeah, superior system indeed.

RO already has some of the best netcode on the market, and it doesn't require much improvement. In RO, the bullet goes where you point the barrel (and it does so with the right ballistics), and if you miss, you miss. Let's keep it that way.

If you're lagging, just play on a different server. Common sense, really.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lemon, you asked me if I had played RO, I responded by demonstrating that I almost certainly have far more experience in both RO and all other FPS's that you can think off.

You keep making one stupid statement after another.

Obviously, the above statement is a good example but your most recent post as well. You do realise that RO is almost dead and most of the world do not have the option to play on a server near them.......

Call of Duty 1 did not have ping compensation, it was very simplistic. COD 2 came out with lag compensation and kids couldn't get their head around the basic principal I explained earlier. Human habits are very hard to break, it's a basic human principal, even if something is better, most of us will resist it because we do not like change. The fact is, mathematically, it's far more accurate but again, people can't get their head around the corrections the server makes and as a result, wrongly assume that its bad, it's your typical knee jerk reaction to something that is different.

Please stop talking about something you clearly do not understand. Call of Duty 4, the biggest FPS in the world, uses LAG compensation, every major FPS from here on in will use LAG compensation from here on it because it is superior, they wouldn't use it if it wasn't clearly superior. Counter Strike Source uses LAG compensation, Call of Duty 5 uses lag compensation, Call of Duty 6 will use lag compensation.

Are you starting to see the trend yet.....

Nimsky, your response is typical of someone who has no idea on how it works. Your mentality is that of a CS 1.6 player moving to source and complaining about the netcode/hitboxes. It's your lack of understanding that causes you misunderstand fundamental principles on how lag compensation works and this is shown by your simplistic assessment being I was behind the corner and got killed. If you don't want this to occur in TF2, play on a server that has ping restrictions, TF2 is popular enough for you to be able to find a server in your area almost at any time. TF2 uses the same coding that source does, it's extremely accurate. You aim exactly at what you want to hit no matter what your ping, its much more akin to real life because real life doesn't have lag/ping/latency! When you get hit by a sniper in TF2, it's because he was faster than you, do you really think that because you have a better ping that even though he was faster, you should live and he should die when he is the better player.

Bodog, playing RO with 250 ping is a horrible experience, seriously, if you can't notice this then you clearly are hopelessly and utterly biased. Seriously, I can only play RO/DH on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights in my own country and the game is wonderful as I ping 10 to my server but going to 29th server, I am forced to play with 250 ping and it's an horrific experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So RO is at the end of its life and has few servers...therefore ROHOS which has yet to be released also has few servers and needs lag compensation because of this?

Also, I never said anything about playing RO with a ping of 250. I was simply saying that RO, without lag-compensation, remains playable long after a source-based game with its, according to you, "best netcode/hit registration in any FPS", becomes a horrible warping lagfest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
errr bodog....the difference between 200 and 250 ping is minimal....

Even with 200 ping I'd have an enjoyable playing experience.

Bodog, CSS is actually relatively playable at 200 ping because you aren't hopelessly disadvantaged like you are in RO. The game will never look pretty when you have a quarter of a second delay in it but the fact of the matter, you can play the game competitively even with a 200 ping on CSS because the netcode is far superior. You have to remember though, there is only so much you can do because you are trying to pretend 0 ping when one player might be pinging 10 and another 250, that doesn't change the fact that the netcode of the source engine is by far more advanced.

RO is basically unplayable at 250 ping, you have to aim 15 metres in front of a moving target, the opposition has a massive advantage. The predictions you have to make are enormous, you do realise that ping changes during a game based on a number of factors. You can ping anywhere from 10-40 ping difference sometimes, this cannot be assumed so again, you are arguing the unarguable.

R02 will be popular for a short period and then if TW actually actively follow up the game with patches and improvements, then the title has a chance at being played for a long time. Remember how far the distance from UK to Russia is, for example, West coast to East coast US will give you 100-120 ping, lag compensation would be most helpful here. For example, Sydney to West Australia, Sydney to New Zealand, Lag compensation would be a great addition to RO. Ultimately, I understand that TW will not include lag compensation as it would cost them too much to implement as they are a small team and don't have the same resources that Valve or activision but that doesn't change the fact that the game would be better as a result.

Upvote 0
Please stop talking about something you clearly do not understand. Call of Duty 4, the biggest FPS in the world, uses LAG compensation, every major FPS from here on in will use LAG compensation from here on it because it is superior, they wouldn't use it if it wasn't clearly superior. Counter Strike Source uses LAG compensation, Call of Duty 5 uses lag compensation, Call of Duty 6 will use lag compensation.

You say that as if CoD4 multiplayer is fun and fair.

Upvote 0
errr bodog....the difference between 200 and 250 ping is minimal....

Bodog, CSS is actually relatively playable at 200 ping because you aren't hopelessly disadvantaged like you are in RO. The game will never look pretty when you have a quarter of a second delay in it but the fact of the matter, you can play the game competitively even with a 200 ping on CSS because the netcode is far superior. You have to remember though, there is only so much you can do because you are trying to pretend 0 ping when one player might be pinging 10 and another 250, that doesn't change the fact that the netcode of the source engine is by far more advanced.

RO is basically unplayable at 250 ping, you have to aim 15 metres in front of a moving target, the opposition has a massive advantage. The predictions you have to make are enormous, you do realise that ping changes during a game based on a number of factors. You can ping anywhere from 10-40 ping difference sometimes, this cannot be assumed so again, you are arguing the unarguable.

R02 will be popular for a short period and then if TW actually actively follow up the game with patches and improvements, then the title has a chance at being played for a long time. Remember how far the distance from UK to Russia is, for example, West coast to East coast US will give you 100-120 ping, lag compensation would be most helpful here. For example, Sydney to West Australia, Sydney to New Zealand, Lag compensation would be a great addition to RO. Ultimately, I understand that TW will not include lag compensation as it would cost them too much to implement as they are a small team and don't have the same resources that Valve or activision but that doesn't change the fact that the game would be better as a result.

then please Mr. 20 years experience July 2009 guy, tell us how does lag compensation work?

enlighten us with your allmighty experience!

PLEASE I BEG YOU!

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about Unreal Engine's 3 hit registration but I believe that I can safely assume that it's even better than UE 2.5's.
Every game on the Unreal (and Id tech for that matter) engine is totally playable and enjoyable even with a ping of 200.
While each and every Source and COD game require you to have a ping <100 to be actually able to hit anything.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure about Unreal Engine's 3 hit registration but I believe that I can safely assume that it's even better than UE 2.5's.
Every game on the Unreal (and Id tech for that matter) engine is totally playable and enjoyable even with a ping of 200.
While each and every Source and COD game require you to have a ping <100 to be actually able to hit anything.

With UT you just have to lead your shots. even with a 500 ping this will still work. With CS or CoD you get teleporting people.

Upvote 0
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

Lemon, Have a read of that though I doubt you will understand it.

/bangs head against wall.

It's stupidity like Discoisn'tdead honestly believing that you need <100 ping for lag compensation to be good, sigh. It's at 200 ping where lag compensation really comes into it's own because you still aim what is on your screen so it's still very easy to hit things even with that ping because of the lag compensation whereas without it, everything is dependant on your ping and your enemies ping which both constantly fluctuate :(

Upvote 0
"Client and server hitboxes don't exactly match because of small precision errors in time measurement. Even a small difference of a few milliseconds can cause an error of several inches for fast-moving objects. Multiplayer hit detection is not pixel perfect and has known precision limitations based on the tickrate and the speed of moving objects. Increasing the tickrate does improve the precision of hit detection, but also requires more CPU, memory, and bandwidth capacity for server and clients."

Do not want. Most here do not want it, so why do you keep trying to convince us?

Upvote 0
[url]http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking[/URL]

Lemon, Have a read of that though I doubt you will understand it.

/bangs head against wall.

It's stupidity like Discoisn'tdead honestly believing that you need <100 ping for lag compensation to be good, sigh. It's at 200 ping where lag compensation really comes into it's own because you still aim what is on your screen so it's still very easy to hit things even with that ping because of the lag compensation whereas without it, everything is dependant on your ping and your enemies ping which both constantly fluctuate :(
heath4n i wanted to know how good ping compensation works, you just showed me how the netcode of source works :rolleyes:

wich sucks

Upvote 0
From http://developer.valvesoftware.com/...rver_In-game_Protocol_Design_and_Optimization

With lag compensation, the inconsistencies are different. For most players, all they have to do is acquire some aiming skill and they can become proficient (you still have to be able to aim). Lag compensation allows the player to aim directly at his or her target and press the fire button (for instant hit weapons9). The inconsistencies that sometimes occur, however, are from the points of view of the players being fired upon.

For instance, if a highly lagged player shoots at a less lagged player and scores a hit, it can appear to the less lagged player that the lagged player has somehow "shot around a corner"10. In this case, the lower lag player may have darted around a corner. But the lagged player is seeing everything in the past. To the lagged player, s/he has a direct line of sight to the other player. The player lines up the crosshairs and presses the fire button. In the meantime, the low lag player has run around a corner and maybe even crouched behind a crate. If the high lag player is sufficiently lagged, say 500 milliseconds or so, this scenario is quite possible. Then, when the lagged player's user command arrives at the server, the hiding player is transported backward in time and is hit. This is the extreme case, and in this case, the low ping player says that s/he was shot from around the corner.

I repeat my personnal opinion: Do not want.

Upvote 0
I used to play on american servers all the time in the old mod days and was even in an american clan for a while, because that was all there was at the time. My ping was usually 200-250. I never had any problems playing like this. I got used to it and would even go as far to say that it was an advantage to me. Ping compensation isn't necessary.

Upvote 0
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

sigh, what can I say or do when....

1. Devilsguard says he has an advantage in UT when he has a ping of 250.........
2. Xendance points to a single word in a perfectly explained and detailed argument which says inconsistant when referring to the internet which by design is incredibly inconsistant and furthermore, uses "inconsistant" as a reason to not want lag compensation where the article proves beyond all reasonable doubt that the biggest advantage of lag compensation over server/client netcode is the huge increase in consistancy lol
3. Lemon complains that after showing him exactly how lag compensation works that I didn't show him "how good lag compensation works" and then refers to CSS as being bad when by far, CSS quite simply has the best netcode of any FPS on the market. It has the most amount of money spent on it, it was in development for almost 6 years before release, it had the most amount of scrutiny and debate about it's performance, has been constantly updated many times throughout the 4 year history of the game and had the most negative audience about it who did everything they could to prove it was in deed bad and failed miserably because it was different to 1.6 and they wanted it to fail.

You guys couldn't more more wrong if you tried.

An indication of low intelligence is someone who is presented with evidence showing something completely contradicting something they believe in and they still refuse to admit they are wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You guys couldn't more more wrong if you tried.

An indication of low intelligence is someone who is presented with evidence showing something completely contradicting something they believe in and they still refuse to admit they are wrong.
The irony runs deep. Please stop getting on everybody's case who does not agree with you nor want what you want, which appears to be most everyone else in this thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.