• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping Compensation! Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best? If you like giving people that sort of advantage/disadvantage maybe.

CS is a poor example anyway, it's much less complex as far as what needs to be processed by the server.

IMO compensation is a no-no. In a competitive sense, I'd rather be able to blame the server than some client-side advantage or disadvantage.

Upvote 0
I smell the Wave of the Futuar Stalingradists...

Not to rain on anyone's parrrarararade, pah rum pam pam, but doesn't the exquisite and oh-so-perfect CS:S have hitscan - while RO operates on the basis of bullet ballistics? Mhm, I wonder what bullet ballistics really mean... Oh, gee, could it be that this means the bullet has to physically take some time to travel a distance? Mmmmhm, Iunno...

Upvote 0
bullet ballistics have nothing to do with the delay in data transmission i.e. lag......jeez with that mindset, play on 200 ping against a guy with 50 and you'll probably find yourself saying "man these ballistics are terrible!" :p

lag compensation makes complete sense and i hope that it would be a possible feature in this game.....international play has had to deal with that problem forever. the question is how well can it be implemented?

Upvote 0
bullet ballistics have nothing to do with the delay in data transmission i.e. lag......jeez with that mindset, play on 200 ping against a guy with 50 and you'll probably find yourself saying "man these ballistics are terrible!" :p

lag compensation makes complete sense and i hope that it would be a possible feature in this game.....international play has had to deal with that problem forever. the question is how well can it be implemented?

There always is a delay, the compensation doesn't help at all. Instead of delayed shot registeration on the server side, you'd get delayed dying on your side :p

Like a guy shoots you on his client, 200ms later that information is sent to the server and it figures out he hit you. During that 200ms you got to cover, and after 50ms the server has sent information to your client that you're dead. BAM, you died while in cover.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
jeez with that mindset, play on 200 ping against a guy with 50 and you'll probably find yourself saying "man these ballistics are terrible!" :p

When I still played RO, I always had a ping in the range of 180-200, on European servers (bloody WiFi). It was only on very rare occasions that I felt I was handicapped by it or that it affected the ballistics to my disadvantage (chief among these occasions being any long-range MG operation or extremely close-range bullet hosing). That's what I loved about RO.

Upvote 0
i'm not saying people can't play with 170 ping, but some sort of lag compensation would be nice to even the scales for international play. even though people will say that it doesn't make THAT much of a difference, improvement towards equality can't possibly be a bad thing...

yes it equally hinders both low ping and high ping players on good gameplay :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
It would be interesting as option, and does help in killing if you truly were the first person to shoot. There are loads of sideeffects though like the ease of cheating.

For intercontinental matches it would be rather interesting, although css and the like is completely unplayable when played intercontinentally.

But for general EU vs EU and NA vs NA generally the default UE3 system works the best in my opinion.

Upvote 0
yeah the ideal battles concerning ping are the NAvNA and EUvEU ones. of course there are people that want to play against everyone possible so there are always going to be intercon matches. not that the current situation is THAT bad for ping differences but it could be improved and would benefit both the high and low pingers. could save the hassle of having to switch servers midmatch to account for a 50/50 rule.

that's all assuming that a lag compensation feature was not buggy etc..

Upvote 0
whats all this talk of na v na only and such like.

I happen to remember winning lots of competitive matches on servers based in the middle/left side of america with my team mates ranging from Finland, uk, france, czech republic etc . . .

Maybe another intersting topic would be the tick rate of the server. .i know in kiddie strike you buy your server based on this but I have never seen it discussed in RO (maybe its a different thing in ro) . .would be interesting to hear peoples opinions as I dont know anything on the subject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well as tickrate means server fps the higher obviously means better (especially with moving targets), but as its hard to see when its set too high for a server to handle. It needs to be used with precaution.

The unreal engine in its ping calculation takes into account pretty much the time till you hit someone and not the time only used for the internet connection. So a higher tickrate will lower the processing time and will give a lower ping.

Upvote 0
No because server stress is one of the biggest issues allowing higher player numbers. For lower player amounts like in clanmatches generally higher tickrates can be used.

Tickrate is not that important, but it can be used to get slightly lower ping. Remember that the higher the tickrate the higher the chance of losing packets and data as well. So it can be a tricky gamble.

Upvote 0
Actually Lag Compensation is far superior but most people don't think so because they don't understand how it works.

For example, CSS, quite simply the best netcode/hit registration in any FPS.

The problem is that CS1.6 didn't have it so heaps of kids didn't understand it and as a result hated it.

For those who don't understand, this is how it works and the reason it is far superior than the RO way of doing it is simple, you don't have to lead based on ping, you shoot at what is on your screen.

Why people don't like it is that if I have 100 ping and I shoot you, in that one tenth of a second, on your screen, you are around that corner but on my screen I hit you so the server corrects what happens on your screen so it seems like you got around the corner but you didn't, this leads to much crying, see above for case in point.

The bottom line is that lag compensation means you get to shoot at the person on your screen, not shoot at people based on what you ping is.

So you shooted me through the corner, and it should be realistic. Its not my fault if you still see me on corner. Just get faster net connections and play servers near you. Ping < 100 and everything will be fine.

Upvote 0
Ho, ho, ho, what's with the trend of correcting other people's imperfect past tense inflection? Seen it in a few threads already. Must be a hip thing this Autumn. Or maybe the primary users of English have gotted the Panicks! that they're in the minority of English speakers now and that their language may morph beyond what they know it as? Jajks!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.