• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC stopped working

So gentlemen here I am again:
After installing the PSU everything was fine and it worked but due to the CMOS reset the date in bios stated some day in 2003 so I decided to format and reinstall windows (and patially cause my c: drive was a bit messed up).
After the installation my DVD drive wouldn't recognise some DVDs and CDs I never had any problem with earlier anymore (that being BF2142, and Office).
And now it won't recognise the newly bought sins of a solar empire DVD while it works flawless with the ArmA2 dvd and several gaming magazine DVDs.
Sooo: my question is does anyone know why it doesn't recognise DVDs and CDs that it recognised before and I never had a problem with?
If yes, does anyone know how this could be fixed.

Upvote 0
Once again the computer stopped working.
A few days ago the whole thing froze and turning it off by pressing the power button didn't work so I just pulled the plug. After that i couldn't turn the damn thing on anymore (of coure I plugged it in again before trying), so I figured that the button must be broken. So I tried exchanging the power and the reset button and it didn't work.
So now I guess that something else is kaput, which leads me to my question:
Is there any way I can see what is still functioning and what is not?

Upvote 0
I'd go with broken power supply as well. It should have a fan usually out the back - can you tell if its running? Also some motherboards have lights to say if receiving power from the supply.
Since I replaced my PSU 6 months ago I'll go with mobo and investigate that further. Thanks for the info.

Smash it against Fedorov.
Sounds great, think I'll do this.:p

Upvote 0
Try the PSU, too... it could just has easily kicked the bucket. If there's also a Fry's or electronics store near you, you could also have them troubleshoot it... I had to do that to a comp I built and the motherboard fried and I didn't know what was going on. But when the mobo fried, the thing turned on and the fans started going and everything, but the screen just never came up/turned on.

Upvote 0
I actually had to struggle with a similar issue like this one. Same symptoms and everything. Was playing Call of Duty 2 one night and the old girl just died and I noticed a faint burning plastic smell.

Turns out I fried the motherboard at one of its main power connectors (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, it's the long important one).

Replaced both the crappy Chinese PSU and my $130 scrap heap of a motherboard.

Upvote 0
I actually had to struggle with a similar issue like this one. Same symptoms and everything. Was playing Call of Duty 2 one night and the old girl just died and I noticed a faint burning plastic smell.

Turns out I fried the motherboard at one of its main power connectors (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, it's the long important one).

Replaced both the crappy Chinese PSU and my $130 scrap heap of a motherboard.
Well, I hope we have all learned a lesson here. (At the expense of The Masta and Reise). Don't play AA3 or CoD2......bad things will happen to your comp.

Upvote 0