• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Paradox Interactive Thread

Imageshack is being ghey, but I'll tell you about a game I had, Germany AI vs. Soviet AI.

1941-The Germans, using excellent Blitzkrieg tactics, flow around the heavily fortified Moscow and surround it.

1942-The Germans...continue blitzing into Siberia...huh?

1943-Still going...

I think it was around 1944 when I finished invading Germany up from Italy. The Soviets did their part well-100+ divisions in Moscow from 1941-1944, and the Germans and their allies had around 20 divisions in every province surrounding Moscow! That was quite a drain on German forces, and allowed me (America) to swarm up through Italy and conquer Germany.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but the rest of the USSR would be cut off from supplies, as they flow from the capital province, something I think should be corrected later on. I was going to try starving the USSR by keeping their (then) capital of Stalingrad surrounded, but it was tying my troops down, so I just took it before the winter of '41 set in.

However, I can't imagine having to fight 100+ well supplied divisions in an urban envirionment...mein gott, that'd be a pain.

Upvote 0
Along with taking Gibraltar from the British the greatest tactical challenge in HoI2 has to be taking Stalingrad, Moscow & Leningrad before the Russians can organise a stupid number of divisions in those areas. This is especially true of Moscow due to the whole capital city & supplies issue so they can effectively support an excessive number of troops when they really should not be able to.

Paratroopers are your friend for the russian campaign!

Upvote 0
Atomic said:
Along with taking Gibraltar from the British the greatest tactical challenge in HoI2 has to be taking Stalingrad, Moscow & Leningrad before the Russians can organise a stupid number of divisions in those areas. This is especially true of Moscow due to the whole capital city & supplies issue so they can effectively support an excessive number of troops when they really should not be able to.

Paratroopers are your friend for the russian campaign!

Those kinds of fights=delicious for XP. I think I had Rommel as a Major General in a scenario where I had to fight around 30 British divisions at Gibraltar. He went up like 3 skill levels before the British were crushed.

Upvote 0
I took Gibraltar without a fight >_>

But I end up winning battles so fast that I don't get my generals enough of experience, and so promotions take longer to hand out because I like to keep them in the same skill range. I don't like however, that when they are promoted, it takes away gained experience...

And the Soviets never really held their major cities. Leningrad was taken, well, without a fight via sea because the Soviet troops moved out to fight my northern Army group. I consider the Battle of Moscow to be greater in scale than the city itself, basically the advance to the city, but the Russians again had very few units there, most having been destroyed either in the opening stages of Barbarossa or Typhoon. The biggest fight they put up was for Stalingrad, with a whopping 11 divisions. ...all of these battles were fought in 1941.

It's the Americans that are being a problem though, what with 15+ divisions in 3 provinces in Tunisia, and I spotted 50 more on the African coast.

Er, and I can never seem to get the Bitter Peace to trigger. I was told that it happens when the German player controls Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrad, Baku, Sverdlosk, and Paris. I've fulfilled all of these requirements, and the Russians keep on fighting. Then again, I believe they say that there is a 5% chance each week that they will try to surrender, so with that in mind, I'm aiming to annex the USSR if they don't give up. I just hope it happens soon, I need to pull troops out to fight the Allies.

Upvote 0
Definite lack of EU2 in here...

I'm playing as the Hungarians (the big blue-green blob ;) ), using the AGCEEP mod. Its the 1470s and I've done pretty well, I only lost one war so far when the Turks invaded with +110 thousand troops in the early 1460s, and my former ally Austria decided to stab me in the back. I let the Turks take my border territories while I crushed Austria into vassalhood, then ten years later when the Turks invaded again I pushed them back across the Bosphorus. I actually had control of eastern Turkey before they gave me their remaining territories in the Balkans for peace. Now I'm fighting Milan and Switzerland, of all countries :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Heh, not so wrong according to some of the Popes during that time :p

Actually, I think in the AGCEEP mod you can't "marry the Pope", I was just trying some of the local powers to improve my position. The only allies I have are Bohemia, while the Ottomans, Austrians and Venetians all want my blood. At least Poland and Lithuania are on good terms with me, otherwise I wouldn't have a prayer.

Upvote 0