• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Over 10 new maps and increased player limits for Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

OK so because they say they are good they must be? They are great maps (most of em) and have been on most of the popular servers for many many months. Because they are official they are better in some way? You must have an amazingly high opinion on TW/low opinion of mappers :D
Nah man. I just dont play custom maps especially when they are in working phases I perfer regular maps. Its not that I dont think less of modders, I think what they do keeps the community going and its great that they make new maps, I also think its great that TW is releasing them officialy so people like me can enjoy them now all polished and nice, thats all I'm saying :)

Upvote 0
I am surprised with how many negative comments on PR statement... You live in the world, where old things are sold as a new (try new tooth paste Signal!!), wars are called peace-activities and there is no global warming... WAKE UP... it is PR and I belive that maps that won the Contest are TWI property now ... do you even realize how important it is for those mappers who created them? So if they do some changes in maps and release them as official (and final), it means that these are NEW maps. You should realize that this is still PR so it is mostly targeted on NEW players not on us old farts who already have all maps - and in fact we, "veteran" players, are much more interested in bug fixes instead of any new content. And it was mentioned that fixes are there... sO WHAT?
:eek:

Upvote 0
It says "in a few weeks".. "few" means at least 3. Re the guy saying there might be new maps - note how it says Community Map Pack underneath the heading "over 10 NEW maps" and only gives details of the maps Smolensk Stalemate, Leningrad and Berezina - maps that have been out for many months already. Its just a cool looking heading that is not actually true. Its misleading and makes people think they'll be getting more than they really are (the people that just read the heading anyway and go OMG NEW FREE OVER 10). I know i'll take what they say in future with a pinch of salt anyway.
Well, I take everything said from anyone with a pinch of salt, here and everywhere... it's safer :D But I can make my own speculations as you and anyone else do, isn't it?

You just cannot say something is not true or misleading until you have proving facts... and for the time being, you don't. Or have we all missed the upgrade while arguing wtf it may contain? :eek::D

Hey, you may be right, you may not. Just relax and wait, you cannot change what you get for free anyway (not to speak about complain about it, right? ;))

Upvote 0
Wtf ?You sold more than 100000????You are kidding i guess.
No, he isn't kidding. Part of the reason (apart from it being the greatest FPS for years) is that we count a zero-dollar marketing budget with free new content and so the game is still selling strongly over a year after launch!

Upvote 0
Didn't want to post in this topic, but once again i could not resist.

I read a lot about custom maps. Some say they are crap some say they like
them. Other say they don't play them while they are in beta stage.
Other people say they don't play them at all cause most of them are crap.

In my opinion custom maps are the bonus for any FPS game out there.
Without custom maps you would play the same maps over and over.

Compared to modifications like CC, Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour custom
maps are available pretty soon and will grow in quality once the suggestions
and players experience will bounce back.

So more then Mods good custom maps are the back bone of the game.
There are many good server available which rotate custom maps but unfortunatly
the amount of suggestions and feedback isn't really great on these boards.
But once a mapper joins these servers he can read all kind
of comments like "this is crap", "that Suks"

First i thought it was caused by the fact that many of the players didn't visit this
board but the amount of replies in this topic made me realize they do. So an advice
might be iff you want better custom maps take some time to share your thoughts

Back on topic: I'm not into PR but let's just be glad TW still supports the game.
They could have quit support much earlier and tell us they where
only focussed on the next title, but they decided to maintain support.

Upvote 0
No, he isn't kidding. Part of the reason (apart from it being the greatest FPS for years) is that we count a zero-dollar marketing budget with free new content and so the game is still selling strongly over a year after launch!

I am very happy to hear that.:)

It is nice, that sometimes selling figures are up to product, not up to hypeing and million dollar marketing.

There is still justice in the world. :)

Upvote 0

I may have to disappoint you but that's not zero-dollar marketing for you. ;)

[...] and I belive that maps that won the Contest are TWI property now ... [...]
Any comments on this assumption - so that I can avoid writing irrelevant post?

Other than that I have nothing to contribute (yeah it was little :p) on this thread as most things have been said multiple times here...

Upvote 0
.... Danzig was new!...
...not even Danzig is new. This map was here in mod and it was just re-done for Ostfront.

Back on topic: I'm not into PR but let's just be glad TW still supports the game.
They could have quit support much earlier and tell us they where
only focussed on the next title, but they decided to maintain support.
hard to guess but IMO, if TW would not do that than they would never sold so many copies of RO. It is another way how to do a game - or you pump lot of money into advertisements before you release your game and than many people buy it just after it is released (hype is powerfull thing). Or after the sell of first batch of copies, so once you have money, you continue to work on that on geting new buyers - new content etc. Imo second way is more "natural" and maybe even more profitable. But this is only a rough guess not based on any experience in industry :))

Upvote 0

I had long considered that RO had achieved sales & market penetration in the low-seven figure area. (1,000,000 - 3,000,000). If not, then its close and will surpass it.

Red Orchestra as a game, its design, playability and balance combined with Tripwire's conception and implementation of consumer support is by far, the very best I've seen to date. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Tripwire policies and practices were copied by others. As far as I am concerned, Tripwire is the leader in both gaming concepts and marketing innovation.

Upvote 0

hah, I have estimated some numbers here http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32542#post32542 more than year ago...
it is fun to read ie. Oleg's answer, 5 posts below ... he ruined my numbers, now reality ruined his :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only "new" TWI maps for ostfront were

Odessa, Konigsplatz, Rakowice, Bondarevo (not sure if this was in summer offensive) and LyesKrovy alll the other maps were either released in the mod or in the summer offensive tank map pack.

Not that i am complaining as the new old maps are infinitly superior in quality over their mod bretheren.

Upvote 0