• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Official Dwarfs?! Axe Balance Thread

Official Dwarfs?! Axe Balance Thread

• Total voters
You know what would be a lot of fun? Slapping the floor with the dwarf axe and launching yourself into the air. Higher and farther than a jump, sort of a like a mini-rocket jump. Slapping the floor, landing on a teammate, slapping their head, going even farther and higher.

I'd do that for hours if it worked like that.

That would lead to exploitation of maps that took a LONG while to patch.

Upvote 0
I essentially laugh at anyone that uses it. last I checked it does like.. ten base damage more than the Claymore, has half the reach of the Claymore, the knockback is more annoying than I find it helpful, and it's slower.

Knocking Fleshpounds and Scrakes off a ledge would be the only proper use OF the axe, if you were to care about my opinion.

...Although I do love crouching under lesser zeds and hitting them sky high.

Upvote 0
I essentially laugh at anyone that uses it. last I checked it does like.. ten base damage more than the Claymore, has half the reach of the Claymore, the knockback is more annoying than I find it helpful, and it's slower.

Knocking Fleshpounds and Scrakes off a ledge would be the only proper use OF the axe, if you were to care about my opinion.

...Although I do love crouching under lesser zeds and hitting them sky high.

It is just to satisfying when a Scrake explodes! Carry it with a katana...

Upvote 0
Here's a riddle for you:

The Dwarfs Axe is absolutely, positively, 100% in need of a nerf. Yet relative to the Claymore it is balanced. How can this be?

Answer:
The Dwarfs Axe is phenomenal for Scrakes and FPs but terrible against trash. However, no one says it has to be used against trash. The Dwarfs Axe can be paired with Katana which excels against everything short of Scrakes. This leaves 5 weight free for a ranged weapon, say a Handcannon or Flare Revovler(s).

And make no mistake, the Dwarfs Axe is a bit cheesy against Scrakes and FPs. When a Scrake rages (it happens, skilled players or no), it can be continually knocked back to prevent it from dealing damage. The FP is laughably easy to kite with the Dwarfs Axe (even with the tiny range). And if the team is camping and focusing fire a Berserker can keep knocking it back to prevent or at least heavily reduce the damage dealt by the FP.

Luckily there is a simple fix - knockback resistance. As I've said before, give the Scrake and FP knockback resistance on Suicidal and HoE difficulties. Say, 33% on Suicidal and 66% on HoE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's a riddle for you:

The Dwarfish Axe is absolutely, positively, 100% in need of a nerf. Yet relative to the Claymore it is balanced. How can this be?

Answer:
The Dwarfish Axe is phenomenal for Scrakes and FPs but terrible against trash. However, no one says it has to be used against trash. The Dwarfish Axe can be paired with Katana which excels against everything short of Scrakes. This leaves 5 weight free for a ranged weapon, say a Handcannon or Flare Revovler(s).

And make no mistake, the Dwarfish Axe is a bit cheesy against Scrakes and FPs. When a Scrake rages (it happens, skilled players or no), it can be continually knocked back to prevent it from dealing damage. The FP is laughably easy to kite with the Dwarfish Axe (even with the tiny range). And if the team is camping and focusing fire a Berserker can keep knocking it back to prevent or at least heavily reduce the damage dealt by the FP.

Luckily there is a simple fix - knockback resistance. As I've said before, give the Scrake and FP knockback resistance on Suicidal and HoE difficulties. Say, 33% on Suicidal and 66% on HoE.

Exactly. No one buys the Dwarfs!? Axe with the intent of killing trash. Everyone buys the Axe to push away Scrakes/Fleshpounds, and this makes the Berserker one of the most common classes now, (from what I've seen during my adventures on Suc/HoE). Reduced knockback for the sc/fp on Suc/Hoe will remove the dependency of the axe on those difficulties, and those who screw around with the axe on Beginner-Hard should be able to still have their knockback against the Fleshpounds

Upvote 0
Exactly. No one buys the Dwarfs!? Axe with the intent of killing trash.

I use it with the intent to kill anything except fps, I leave those to everyone else because you can't kite without someone else shooting it and making it rage.

You'll only force TWI to ruin yet another new gun/weapon...

M99 is a perfect example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You'll only force TWI to ruin yet another new gun/weapon...

That's TWI's fault, not ours.

The Dwarf axe is not cool. It shouldn't even be here. It looks out of place, flying zeds look silly, the knockback effect is terribly unbalanced and makes a mockery out of what should be scary and powerful specimens.

And guess what, the M99 did the same. The M99 WAS overpowered and made the FP a joke. It was essentially a rollback of several months or years worth of Xbow and Sharpshooter balancing and nerfing, all in one weapon. TWI took the lazy road and nerfed it wrong and hard. (that doesn't mean it could have been salvaged, but still, the over nerf made it useless in hard and below, where people are more likely to use them.)

Upvote 0
we won :) it's balanced !

The reason why the votes are going for "balanced" is because the OP didn't specify a specific difficulty in which the axe is balanced on. If the poll asked if it was balanced on Suc/HoE like hipnox suggested, the opinions here would've been very different

Is it fine on Beginner - hard? Yes

Is it fine on Suicidal and HellonEarth? No

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its balanced.

Its balanced.

Overall It's rather awful on the harder difficulties, on lower difficulties you may call it OP when everything is so slow the knockback makes it easy, but get real, on lower difficulties everything is OP (such as a flamethrower) so I could never call this weapon overpowered in any way on HoE. It's rate of fire and reach is completely awful in every aspect, the knockback is negligible on HoE as the knockback itself wakes up any stunned opponent, may it be 2-3 gorefasts you knock back they are already back in your face and have to take imminent damage. As for scrakes and FPs, really? scrakes? the alt fire stuns the scrake just as axe/claymore/scythe, why in the world would anyone want to use the knockback feature on the scrake? As for FPs, It's not easy to juggle them properly especially in a game, I actually don't think its overpowered, in theory you can juggle them without taking damage, but in a game with other specimens around easily interfere and it's timely for a berserker to kill the fp. If you call the knockback on FPs OP for a zerk then you might as well cry about kiting the fp, takes just as long and easier to do without taking damage. It's more of a novelty weapon because at it's current state its performance is lacking compared to the claymore. My suggestion since it's just as strong as the claymore, keep the Alt fire at it's current fire rate (1.4 compared to claymore's 1.25) and lower its weak primary fire to 1.1 (compared to claymore's 1.05). that way it will actually be a decent weapon without being overpowered. it's horribad range is penalty enough (seriously you have about the same range as a machete when using it)

This.

Upvote 0