• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Weapon: Barrett M99

@outofrealman
Thanks for reminding me of that, that a one-shot decap equals a kill... a shame really, as that would seem perfect :/

@jack carver
Well, the decap mechanic is a tad complex, but in short, yes, if you decap it in one shot, it dies.

What I'm wondering is: Which specimen should be oneshotted with a bodyshot?

Here are the healths of some specimen at 6-man HoE, to see what total health they have, and to see what base damage we want the M99 to have:

(Stalker, Clot and Crawler all have less than 230 health)
Gorefast - 766
Siren - 788
Husk - 1575
Bloat - 2067
Scrake - 6125 (higher than a Fleshie btw)
FP - 5906
Patty - 33250

We want Sirens, Gorefasts and Husks to go in one bodyshot, no? And Bloats die in 2? That means the bodyshot should be something like 1600 damage (Hunting Shotgun double blast does max 1600 bodydamage as level 6 support). You could give the Bloat extra damage received from the M99 too, to make it an instant body kill.

This is somewhat the formula for the decap damage:
Decap bonus damage = (Headshotdamage + [25% of Bodyhealth]) * Weaponheadshotmultiplier * Sharpshooterheadshotmultipliers * Resistances

(Funny note: The weaponheadshotmultiplier doesn't use the 4.0 multiplier on the Xbow's decap though, only 1.0, thus the decapping shot from the Xbow is actually kinda low in damage (still powerful ofc))

I have been playing around a little with the numbers on Excel, and this is what i came up to:

I assume 1600 base damage, a 25% resistance on the Fleshpound and a 1.1 headshot multiplier on the weapon. This allows for:
* 1 shot kill for Stalkers, Clots, Crawlers, Sirens, Gorefast and Husks on all levels, regardless of number of people, regardless what perk using it and regardless where it hits.
* 2 shot kill on the body for Bloats on 6man HoE, regardless of what perk using it
* 1 shot kill on the HEAD on all enemies on any playernumber and difficulty (including Fleshie and Scrake) except on the Patty as lvl 6 Sharpie.
* 2 shots on the HEAD kills Scrakes on 6man HoE as NON-Sharpie. (On pure bodyshots, requires 4 shots, regardless of perk)
* 3 shots on the HEAD kill Fleshies on 6man HoE as NON-Sharpie. (On pure bodyshots, requires 5 shots, regardless of perk)
* Patriarch requires 8 headshots on 6man HoE as level 6 Sharpie

Is this good enough? :)

Note: You can't have the Fleshie take 2 shots (one in the head and one in the chest) to kill, because the headhealth is less than 50% of the body

Note 2: With these stats, the M99 is also quite useful for a Supporter, being able to carry a Shotgun/AA12/Hunting Shotgun along with it and still deal alot of damage to the big (and small for sure lol) enemies :). (If the M99 weighs 14 however, you can only carry the Shotgun along with it, which, imo, is more balanced)

EDIT: Had to change a small thing, that the decap damage is actually a BONUS damage on top of the regular headshot, which changed non-Sharpies with my proposed stats to KILL instead of only DECAPPING Scrakes and Fleshies on their last M99 shots. Not much changed otherwise though *phew*

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxyfired
Upvote 0
UGH.......OK.... UNDER CURRENT SETTING:

A 6-man HoE fp has 2756 head health and 5906 total health.

So, if one head shot dont decap it, max damage do on a head shot will be 2755. And after one head shot, the fp will have 1 head health and 3150 total health.

Even the M99 do 2755 damage to body and have 1.0 head shot mutiplier, one head shot and then one body shot will not kill him.

With the current setting, you just cannot make some thing like one shot decap but not killing or one head shot not killing but bring it down to very low health.

You need to be doing masive damge to the totaly health like LAW or pipebomb to do something like "one hit to bring it weak enough to be kill by just a few shots".

And.. this is why you cannot one-shot decaping and not killing:

A 6-man HoE fp has 2756 head health and 5906 total health.

If you need to one shot decap, the shot need to do at least 2756 damage. That shot responsible for the decap will do double damage, so that would be 2756 * 2 = 5512.

Removing a zed's head take away 1/4 of total health, so that would be 1476.5.

So that shot alone will do 5512 + 1476.5 = 6988.5 damage. Which is much much much more than enough to kill the fleshpound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is somewhat the formula for the decap damage:
Decap damage = (Headshotdamage + [25% of Bodyhealth]) * Weaponheadshotmultiplier * Sharpshooterheadshotmultipliers * Resistances

Ok, clearly I haven;t reflesh before I post LOL. However, as far as I know, decap fomular is simple like this: if head health left < damage done to the head, decap happens.

That "hit" the the head will do double damage and take away 1/4 total health.

So, no matter how much resistance is there, the case if simple, say one hit do 1000 damage, on fleshpounds it only do 500 and on a scrake it do 750 (currenly headshot resistance of fps and scrakes only apply to xbow).

So if that hit decaps, it do 1000 + 1/4 of total health on fleshpounds and 1500 + 1/4 total health on scrakes.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
@Outofrealman: I am agreeing with you, you can't decap a target in one shot without killing it, i know that (that previous post of mine, post #82, with the propsed damage and how many shots for each enemy etc is EXTREMELY carefully calculated using Excel for formulas)

And actually, my formula is the correct one. So the decap does more advanced stuff than just the headshot damage + 1/4 of their total hp.

Let me use the stats i proposed:

1600 base damage
1.1 headshot multiplier
25% damage resistance on the Fleshpound for the M99

A regular headshot as a lvl 6 Sharpshooter on a target without any resistance would do this damage with the M99:
1600 * 1.1 * 2.4 = 4224
On a fleshie it would to only 75% of that damage (the 25% resistance) which would be;
4224 * 0.75 = 3168
And, since that damage is enough to remove the head, it ALSO does this damage (a decap bonus damage):

(3168 + 0.25*5906) * 1.1 * 2.4 * 0.75 = 9196
Full damage = 9196 + 3168 = 12364
A definite one-shot kill.

Double damage plus 1/4 of the health would be:
3168*2 + 0.25*5906 = 7812.5

A decap is thus much stronger than just that :)

ANYWAY:
I think (this is the only thing you could do) a 2-headshot decap/kill for a Fleshie with the M99 is a little bit too weak actually, but for balances sake, i guess i could live with it on HoE-6man. To do that, you need my stats as proposed, but around 40% M99 resistance for the Fleshie (instead of 25%). Simple as that :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you STILL don't believe me, here is a post by Scary_ghost (who knows all this with programming number and he has taught me TONS of stuff for this game)

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=673763#post673763

Not only is there tons of written math about it, but there is also a video proving his stuff. Enjoy :)

(The formula also explains why a weapon like the LAR with a hs-multiplier of 2.0x is so awesome at decapitating stuff. Not only does the Sharpshooter get its perk 2.4x multiplier benefit on the decap-damage AGAIN, but ALSO the weapon multiplier (the 2.0x of the LAR in this case). Exception is the Xbow which only gets 1.0 multiplied (instead of its 4x multiplier) on the decap plus another reduction from the resistance, which is why it's not as awesome to decap Fleshies with.
In short, the multipliers (and unfortunately also the resistances) basicly go squared (^2) when it decaps!)

EDIT: DOH! I forgot something! That decap damage is a BONUS damage on top of the headshot damage :$ I will go back and edit my previous posts later...
EDIT 2: Not so much to worry about, it hardly changed anything (Just that the M99 kills rather than just decaps Scrakes and Fleshies on their last needed shots with non-sharpies)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I go to have some test again.

Findings: As a 6lv sharpshooter, 3 shot from xbow + 1 handcannon hs decap a 6-man HoE fp. 3xbow + 2 9mm hs also do the same.

So this pretty much proof that each shot doing 900 dmg to fleshpound is correct.

If i shoot the fleshpound's head with one handcannon shot OR two 9mm shots, the 3rd xbow arrow only decap it, not killing.

I dont want to look for the numbers of 9mm and handcannon, so a assume two shot from 9mm and one shot from handcannon do ~56 damage (head health of 2756).

If that's my formular, total damage do to the fleshpound would be 56 (9mm or handcannon shots) + 1800 (two xbow shots) + 900*2 + 1476.5 (decap) = 5188.5. The fleshpound should have around 774 hp left.

Switch to commando, health bar is around 1/10.

Sounds right for me least...

It that;s your formular, that fleshpound should be dead.

EDIT: may be I go test some more anyway. I could be wrong tough, cos they chance quite a lot on fleshpounds and xbow.

EDIT: well, I dont know why the old fomular is there for such a long time then... it seems to be right for a really long time~~~

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not incorrect (mine and Scary_ghost's formula):

Let's assume a level 6 Sharpshooter
Handcannon headshot damage: 303
Fleshie resistance: Something like 50% (not super important)

If you shoot in the order: 1 Handcannon shot, 3 Xbow bolts, you will deal this damage:
HC fleshie hs: 152
Xbow fleshie hs bolt: 300 * 4 * 1.6 * 1.5 * 0.35 = 1008
Xbow fleshie decap bonus: (1008 + (0.25*5906)) * 1.0 * 1.6 * 1.5 * 0.35 = 2086 (Note the bolded 1.0 there. The Xbow do NOT get its 4.0 multiplier in the decap bonus, hence why the damage is so low there)
Damage is then: 152 + 1008*3 + 2086 = 5262

THAT'S ONLY A DECAP, JUST LIKE YOU SAID
. Meaning, my formula is the right one.

In short: It's VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY important how much headhealth is left on the target and which weapon you use to decap the Fleshie with. A Xbow is actually quite poor to decap the Fleshie with, due to (if the head is slightly hurt) it BARELY takes the head off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack-Carver
Upvote 0
So now when we have cleared out the decap bonus i restate my stats for the M99:

Perk - Sharpshooter
Cost - 4000 (gets the discount = 1200 cost at level 6)
Ammo cost - 15-20 per bullet
Ammo amount - 25
Starting amount of ammo when purchased - 10

Weight - 13 or 14 (13 allows Machete/Pipebombs for non-Support, but also, for the Support, any of the Shotgun/AA12/HuntingShotty with it. 14 allows no extra equipment for non-Support, and only max the standard Shotgun along with the M99 for Support)

Damage - 1600
Headshotmultiplier - 1.1 (To not make it too strong non-perked + not too strong against the Patriarch)

Reasonable resistances on the Fleshpound:
25% resistance still allows a 1-headshot for Sharpies at all times, but takes as much as 3 headshots unperked on 6man HoE.
40% resistance requires the Sharpie to headshot TWICE for a kill on 6man HoE, and makes non Sharpies only decap with 3 shots, 4th shot on the decapped body kills it.

So, the only things to debatte here really, is:
Weight 13 or 14?
Fleshpound M99 resistance 25% or 40%? :rolleyes: (Could be 40% on HoE and 25% otherwise for example)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Model: Finished
Animations: Finished
Texture: BETA
Script:
BETA
Sounds: Finished

Ok here is a little update:
The main problem now is the texture for the scope and the fine tuning for the body. Anims and Sounds are really great atm.
So here is the Scope I made for the M99:

Yeah this looks really nice! :)
Wow you really thought about the balancing! thanks!!
Idk if it should kill a husk with 1 shot.... Maybe it should but I really don't know. However a Fleshpound should also be killable with it.
@Aze:
So it actually takes 3-4 Xbow bolts to kill a FP on 6 man HOE?

So now when we have cleared out the decap bonus i restate my stats for the M99:

Perk - Sharpshooter
Cost - 4000 (gets the discount = 1200 cost at level 6)
Ammo cost - 15-20 per bullet
Ammo amount - 25
Starting amount of ammo when purchased - 10

Weight - 13 or 14 (13 allows Machete/Pipebombs for non-Support, but also, for the Support, any of the Shotgun/AA12/HuntingShotty with it. 14 allows no extra equipment for non-Support, and only max the standard Shotgun along with the M99 for Support)

Damage - 1600
Headshotmultiplier - 1.1 (To not make it too strong non-perked + not too strong against the Patriarch)

Reasonable resistances on the Fleshpound:
25% resistance still allows a 1-headshot for Sharpies at all times, but takes as much as 3 headshots unperked on 6man HoE.
40% resistance requires the Sharpie to headshot TWICE for a kill on 6man HoE, and makes non Sharpies only decap with 3 shots, 4th shot on the decapped body kills it.

Weight 13 or 14?
Fleshpound M99 resistance 25% or 40%? :rolleyes: (Could be 40% on HoE and 25% otherwise for example)

This looks good though!

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Sorrow and Aze
Upvote 0
Wow you really thought about the balancing! thanks!!
Are you referring to me? :eek: If so, by all means, it's a pleasure to help :)

Idk if it should kill a husk with 1 shot.... Maybe it should but I really don't know.
Yeah 1 BODYshot :D
If you want to be 1 or 2 bodyshots, just tell me. I can run the numbers you need to fix this (Made an excelfile just to balance the M99, so i can change numbers quickly :))

However a Fleshpound should also be killable with it.
1 shot to the HEAD right? 1 shot to the body to kill it would be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpowered lol.

@Aze:
So it actually takes 3-4 Xbow bolts to kill a FP on 6 man HOE?
Yeah, if you are the lone shooter on the Fleshpound it takes 4 bolts to kill it. 3 bolts to the head leaves a LITTLE LITTLE bit headhealth left.

Upvote 0
Aze - dude, the number crunching is amazing man! I just started unity coding, which means that i won't have time to learn UT stuff for a while, but i thought maybe i could help out running the numbers, but u beat me to it. And u did a good job. I like ur proposal. I stil think it oughta weigh 13, i don't like the idea of not having any room, and if u get rid of ur nades u supposedly get space back, so players might be able to use the MK23 if they wish. But the power states Aze came up with sound like they are very balanced. Tho the cost may still be to low for a lvl 6 SS - 1200 for insta kill on FP? but HoE money is hard to come by, and i think the ammo limit is the big balancer, so i guess i'm cool with it.

SO WHERE IS OUR BETA?? I WANT THE BETA!!!

EDIT: the scope looks fine to me, btw. I know i'm not gonna pay much attention to the texture when shooting anyway :p

Upvote 0
S

Weight 13 or 14?

Upvote 0
If you want the Fleshpound to be 2-headshotted on other difficulties you need:

At Hard and above the Fleshie requires 50% resistance
At Suicidal and above the Fleshie requires 45% resistance
At HoE only, it requires 40%

Take your pick what you want to have :p

(Note: If you have it at 50% resistance though, it require one more headshot (= 4 headshots) to decap the Fleshie for NON-sharpies (instead of only 3 for a kill) at 6-man Suicidal and HoE

At 45% resistance it still only requires 3 headshots for non-perked sharpies to decap the Fleshie on 6-man Suicidal and HoE, but it will not kill it)

EDIT: Wow btw. Did my numbers get lucky or what?? It's almost scarily easy to adjust the headshot requirements... Oo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Model: Finished
Animations: Finished
Texture: BETA
Script: BETA
Sounds: Finished

Ok here is a little update:
The main problem now is the texture for the scope and the fine tuning for the body. Anims and Sounds are really great atm.
So here is the Scope I made for the M99:

hey man,use the single bullet icon instead of the mag icon at the remaining ammo status.The gun is single action,it fires bullets instead of mags.

LAR ammo status:10/30 the icon before 30 is a single bullet icon.

Upvote 0
I am speaking up for 25% head shot resistance for FP's to kill them in 1 shot. This is an Anti-Material rifle! Anything less and you might as well restore the damage values to the M14. This ain't no pea shooter. If the "balance" natzis are insistent on 40% head shot resistance I ask that the ammo capacity be increased to 30 and cost per bullet is no more than $10. I base the cost on the fact that a standard .50 bmg round cost less than $5 per bullet. Jack-Carver, do what you feel is right for your personal tastes. I know that when the mutator goes live on NETSKY servers we will enjoy it as we have you other creations:).

Upvote 0