• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Weapon: Barrett M99

Well this would actually be very hard to code. However the main problem will be getting it whitelisted then, as most people would complain about the ZED time, wehn a sniper uses it and so on. For now we will give it enough damage to blow the FP's head off but not kill him.

I seriously doubt TWI will whitelist a mutator that can take down the strongest specimen in the game in a single shot. I think it's going to be a cool weapon but you'll have to balance it well in order to get it whitelisted.

Upvote 0
Well this would actually be very hard to code. However the main problem will be getting it whitelisted then, as most people would complain about the ZED time, wehn a sniper uses it and so on. For now we will give it enough damage to blow the FP's head off but not kill him.

Give it just the right amount of damage for a LV6 DM to blow the FP's head off but not kill him,on HOE 6 players.

Upvote 0
Well actually if it's that heavy... slow scoping and very unacurate hip fire, then I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be whitelisted.....
Actually the crossbow also was able to do that for a very long time. And the crossbow can also 1 shot kill FPs on hard normal and so on. Also depends on how much players are there. On a 6 man HOE server the M99 will certainly not kill a FP with one shot. But on hard, it should do that though.

Give it just the right amount of damage for a LV6 DM to blow the FP's head off but not kill him,on HOE 6 players.

That's actually what we intend to do. Or a bit less damage.

Upvote 0
Actually the crossbow also was able to do that for a very long time.

And they ultimately decided that no weapon should be able to 1-shot the fleshpound, so they changed it (although only on the higher difficulties since they were worried that it would alienate the more casual players).

However, if it has about the same power as the crossbow then I don't see why it wouldn't be whitelisted.

No way. Read above.

Upvote 0
And they ultimately decided that no weapon should be able to 1-shot the fleshpound, so they changed it (although only on the higher difficulties since they were worried that it would alienate the more casual players).

However, if it has about the same power as the crossbow then I don't see why it wouldn't be whitelisted.

No way. Read above.

Oh yeah yeah..... Heck I killed an FP with the crossbow on Hard with one shot lol. Not much of a deal :D.
On HOE 1 headshot and one Bodyshot is ok I think. 2 Law Rockets will also kill an FP. I was thinking about giving the M99 a bit more headshot damage then the Xbow but mostly more standart damage.
However the MAIN problem is that there are far too few FPs. In KF 2.5 or so there often were up to 40 FPs per Wave and now there just are 2-4 and thats it... That's just not enough IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My previous suggestion about the alt fire - does zed time have to be universal? that was the question my friend asked, and IDK - can it be coded to be a one person thing? prolly not, that would make it so the sniper is always behind time wise.. Oh well. I guess it'd only work in solo mode. so make the secondary a M99-hammer melee attack. Just for fun.

Upvote 0
Ok I think it will be fine if you can kill an FP on hell on earth with one headshot and one body shot. That's just fair. If you use the Crossbow you still can pull out the Dual HCs and tehy'll do the rest but when using the M99 you can't do that. So it will just have that much damage to not kill the FP but damage it dramatically.

Upvote 0
Ok I think it will be fine if you can kill an FP on hell on earth with one headshot and one body shot. That's just fair. If you use the Crossbow you still can pull out the Dual HCs and tehy'll do the rest but when using the M99 you can't do that. So it will just have that much damage to not kill the FP but damage it dramatically.

I am just thinking about one thing:WTF is the use of snipers if you can't take out your foe with 1 shot,even with a .50 round?The only thing snipers can rely on is power of their rifles,and losing it snipers are just bull****.

Upvote 0
I am just thinking about one thing:WTF is the use of snipers if you can't take out your foe with 1 shot,even with a .50 round?The only thing snipers can rely on is power of their rifles,and losing it snipers are just bull****.

He has a point. It shouldn't be a onehit, but if it takes the head off then it should be half a clip of 9mm rounds or something. maybe on HoE it might take a body shot from the sniper itself, but on say, hard, i don't wanna be forced to two shot every FP. Unless i can have my MK23 - that oughta have the stopping power necessary.

A balance suggestion - the pull-out anim for this gun should take a while, but plz make it so the put-away-pull-out-my-pistol is fast. I don't even know if you can make separate anims (i'm fooling around in the SDK actor editors today (its my day off) to try and learn some helpful stuff, so hopefully i'm better informed soonish) but if u can, thats my suggestion.

Upvote 0
Man, i wish Scary_ghost was here to do the math for us at which damage the Fleshies get decapped (but not killed) with one shot. I would like to know the 2 borders (barely taking the head off contra the head is off but the fleshie only has 1 health left)

Don't forget Scrakes though. The Xbow on HoE 6man needs 2 headshots for the Scrake, no? So the Scrake would deffo need to be 1-headshotted with the M99.

The M99 on 6man HoE should just barely take the head of from a Fleshie (still leaving alot of health on itl) and then one more bodyshot to kill it off.

Remember this for balancing: The M99 doesnt allow you to carry anything else but the Machete/Pipebomb (at 13 weight), it costs a ALOT, both the weapon and the ammo (at 4000 the weapon would cost 1200 even with 70% discount, just like the AA12, which is alot of money on HoE) , it only has 25 shots (SO DON'T YOU MISS THOSE SHOTS!) and you move quite slowly with it.

Consider all the Scrakes and FPs and not 100% headshot / hits and also the occasional Siren and Husk and the ammo is looking VERY scarce.

So it seems just fine to me.
Think of this too: If all 6 players went Sharpie with the M99, your team would be screwed with the lack of ammo for the small stuff. You can't just 9mm everything, as you would be overrun very very fast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Man, i wish Scary_ghost was here to do the math for us at which damage the Fleshies get decapped (but not killed) with one shot. I would like to know the 2 borders (barely taking the head off contra the head is off but the fleshie only has 1 health left)

Don't forget Scrakes though. The Xbow on HoE 6man needs 2 headshots for the Scrake, no? So the Scrake would deffo need to be 1-headshotted with the M99.

The M99 on 6man HoE should just barely take the head of from a Fleshie (still leaving alot of health on itl) and then one more bodyshot to kill it off.

Remember this for balancing: The M99 doesnt allow you to carry anything else but the Machete/Pipebomb (at 13 weight), it costs a ALOT, both the weapon and the ammo (at 4000 the weapon would cost 1200 even with 70% discount, just like the AA12, which is alot of money on HoE) , it only has 25 shots (SO DON'T YOU MISS THOSE SHOTS!) and you move quite slowly with it.

Consider all the Scrakes and FPs and not 100% headshot / hits and also the occasional Siren and Husk and the ammo is looking VERY scarce.

So it seems just fine to me.
Think of this too: If all 6 players went Sharpie with the M99, your team would be screwed with the lack of ammo for the small stuff. You can't just 9mm everything, as you would be overrun very very fast.

That's impossible to decap with one shot but not killing it.

Even before they buff the head health of a feshpound, one hit which do just enough damage to decap an fp (so the damage = head health of fp) will one-shot the fleshpound. Because decap itself take away 1/4 of the totaly health of a zed, no matter how much health it has. And that bullet (or arrow) responsible for the decap will do double damage. Double head health + 1/4 total health will ALWAYS be higher than the total health of a fleshpound.

So if you dont change any of the head heath or total health numbers or the decap damage count, it is impossible to one shot decap but not killing a fleshpound. (pretty much the same on scrakes)

And one more thing to note: you may need to make this gun do 100% damage to fleshpounds. If you dont, I believe the default resistance is 50%, so it will do double damage to normal zeds. While patty dont have damage resistance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's impossible to decap with one shot but not killing it.

Even before they buff the head health of a feshpound, one hit which do just enough damage to decap an fp (so the damage = head health of fp) will one-shot the fleshpound. Because decap itself take away 1/4 of the totaly health of a zed, no matter how much health it has. And that bullet (or arrow) responsible for the decap will do double damage. Double head health + 1/4 total health will ALWAYS be higher than the total health of a fleshpound.

So if you dont change any of the head heath or total health numbers or the decap damage count, it is impossible to one shot decap but not killing a fleshpound. (pretty much the same on scrakes)

And one more thing to note: you may need to make this gun do 100% damage to fleshpounds. If you dont, I believe the default resistance is 50%, so it will do double damage to normal zeds. While patty dont have damage resistance.
But actually I was able to decap an FP with a Crossbow on HOE once and he then still lived for quite a long time and killed 2 teammates. Actually he still was hard to kill. By chaning a few parameters on the weapon it's possible for shure.

Upvote 0
But actually I was able to decap an FP with a Crossbow on HOE once and he then still lived for quite a long time and killed 2 teammates. Actually he still was hard to kill. By chaning a few parameters on the weapon it's possible for shure.

Prepatch? But even in 1014 I'm not sure why but fleshpounds need two shots from xbow to kill (with full head health).

Also, it is already possible to produce a headless fleshpound with weapon that can drop his head health down to zero in two hits (not currently in game). But if you can one-shot decap it, it dies.

Upvote 0
Prepatch? But even in 1014 I'm not sure why but fleshpounds need two shots from xbow to kill (with full head health).

Also, it is already possible to produce a headless fleshpound with weapon that can drop his head health down to zero in two hits (not currently in game). But if you can one-shot decap it, it dies.

Ok the M99 will be able 1 shot kill FPs on: BEGINNER; NORMAL; HARD but on SUICIDAL AND HOE he will survive one shot to the head and will need another one into the chest to die.
I thought about giving the M99 a slightly higher headshot damage then the Xbow but much higher general damage, this way this weapon might also be attractive for Supporters. It might loose a lot of headshot damage but still might be a decent weapon. So the Supporter still might be able to kill a husk or so, however he then will loose a Supporter weapn....
When using the M99 the Sniper will lack on aditional firepower, so this rifle should be able to kill Gorefasts with one shot into the chest.

In a way 1 shot killing FPs can be a bit gampeplay killing. I'd say it still is great if you severely damage him with 1 headshot. The team or you still can finish the rest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0