• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Nades......

I am using grenades less and less. I only use them anymore to save teammates and cover my reloads. I don't even need them to kill Fleshpounds anymore. Couple of HSG blasts and they're dead!

Nades just buy you time anyways, so saving teammates/covering reloads is what you should be using them for. Trying to kill something with nades is foolish unless it's part of a speedkill.

Anywho, I assume you mean Hunting Shotgun blasts? On 6man HoE, it takes quite a few of those, especially since you don't need them to kill a FP apparently.

Even on 6man Hard, you'll get hurt from a Fleshpound with the HSG without nades.

Upvote 0
If you can't kill most things in wave without buffed nades, you must be doing something wrong. The standard nades are fine the way they are. If you find them too lacklustre, play demo or support; simple.
But if you're changing perk then that's avoiding the entire point of the thread. It's the non-perked grenades that need to still be able to kill a couple of weak things rather than throw zeds around for comical effect.

The only times that I use the nades outside of support/demo/medic/'bug is to break doors, free teammates, buy me some time by making the zeds back up, or do an FP combo with an off perk M32.
Exactly, you can't use them for their original purpose, killing a cluster of zeds, which I don't see why they can't be used for without disrupting the balance of the game.

Trying to kill something with nades is foolish
It shouldn't be.

Upvote 0
But if you're changing perk then that's avoiding the entire point of the thread. It's the non-perked grenades that need to still be able to kill a couple of weak things rather than throw zeds around for comical effect.

Exactly, you can't use them for their original purpose, killing a cluster of zeds, which I don't see why they can't be used for without disrupting the balance of the game.

It shouldn't be.

But why? If you want to be able to wipe out everything with a single weapon, just grab a M99 and waste

Upvote 0
I don't care much for stunning zeds, especially when all the zeds ran/got blown out of the way of other zeds when you threw the grenade.
I agree balance over realism, I don't want KF to be hyper-realistic it would be no fun.

Yes they're useful in their odd mechanics and I'm not discounting that (besides the one discounted in the prev. paragraph). I just think they should also be useful as grenades (not just magic balls of game-mechanic sorcery) as-well.

I never said to buff grenades. Just add a bit of weakness for them, depending on difficulty level among those zeds which grenades are almost pointless against.
Perked grenades are already killing these zeds, so it will change gameplay almost none-at-all besides being able to use grenades to kill a cluster of zeds effectively again off-perk.

It's not wiping out everything with a single weapon, it's a grenade taking out a group of enemies with a very limited ammo pool (only 5 off perk). And you would still be saving some for those odd save moments and useful things that you've all described.

Upvote 0
The nades are fine as they are.
Buffing them to a degree where you just toss them in the genereal direction of zeds and killing several would make them nobrainers.
Just wait for the zeds to walk into a narrow spot, where they can't get away far and they will die.
Nades are no primary weapon, they are just an addition to your normal loadout.

In real life, nades are of course terrifying. But so is a 9mm. Being realistic, a shot to the knee with ANY gun from the game would at least incapacitate the Zed.

Upvote 0
The nades are fine as they are.
Buffing them to a degree where you just toss them in the genereal direction of zeds and killing several would make them nobrainers.
Just wait for the zeds to walk into a narrow spot, where they can't get away far and they will die.
Nades are no primary weapon, they are just an addition to your normal loadout.

In real life, nades are of course terrifying. But so is a 9mm. Being realistic, a shot to the knee with ANY gun from the game would at least incapacitate the Zed.

If you only have five, you would be more careful wasting them.....especially if they are truly lethal....as i want them to be! They should be! A guy with a nade in a room is more terrifying than a person holding a handgun!

Upvote 0
What about if there were a bigger trade off to having them? Say, they do more damage, but it costs more to restock them, and you don't start with any unless you play a particular perk, such as Demolitions?

The biggest disadvantage for grenades if they got more powerful is that you only have 5. atm 5 is plenty for rescuing teammates/distracting zeds. If they were actually good at killing, you'd use more per wave.

And money isn't a great limiter. Even on HoE, if you know what you're doing, you have plenty of money.

Upvote 0
The biggest disadvantage for grenades if they got more powerful is that you only have 5. atm 5 is plenty for rescuing teammates/distracting zeds. If they were actually good at killing, you'd use more per wave.

And money isn't a great limiter. Even on HoE, if you know what you're doing, you have plenty of money.

5 is plenty?

If they were good at killing, you would not use more per wave.....they would be used when needed as possible lifesavers....like evaporating a cluster of zeds and also being able to severely damage or kill sc or fp. Three would be enough....as lifesavers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
5 is plenty?

Well... yea. I normally use a maximum of 5 in an entire game (bar Patty wave, where I'll happily spam as many as I can if I see a chance).

I'd argue that if they became valid (and more useful) tools for killing, then every time I saw a scenario where they'd be useful, I'd use them. Biotics lab, I'd probably throw one if I thought I could catch 5 zeds in the blast, rather than shoot them. In this scenario, 5 nades wouldn't last me a wave.

Upvote 0
Practical AI is fine! Would be worse if they could throw back a nade!
Yeah the AI is fine, its the animation thats terrible.
They dont like notice it/look at the grenade, they simply walk around as if a magical wall had blocked their already made walking path.
Its the same thing with the Husk, when he is about to shoot, the zeds magically get pushed out the way by a unseen force.

Say, they do more damage, but it costs more to restock them
So your saying it needs a modern KF style buff?

Upvote 0
It's not that I necessarily agree with buffing them, it's that if TWI decided they were going to, I would want some kind of tradeoff to keep them from becoming overpowered. After all, we want balance in the game. So take a balanced approach to grenades. Increase their power but make them harder to acquire, something like that.

Upvote 0
It's not that I necessarily agree with buffing them, it's that if TWI decided they were going to, I would want some kind of tradeoff to keep them from becoming overpowered. After all, we want balance in the game. So take a balanced approach to grenades. Increase their power but make them harder to acquire, something like that.

That kind of thinking was applied to M99... and voila! We have weapon that's overpowered, lame, impractical and financially irresponsible to use - all at the same time.

Upvote 0