• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My RO2 wishlist, what is yours?

I think it would be nice if bolt action rifles would have no free-aim when in ironsights. For SMG's i think free aim is pretty nice especially for the way recoil is managed, but for rifles as you fire individual shots one miss means your death which makes rifles even more difficult than in the past.

I agree with almost everything in the original post except this. As is, one missed shot with the bolt action is often death, and it can be difficult to acquire a target fast enough to kill him before he turns and sprays you down from a few hundred meters with a SMG or assault rifle.

My wishlist (WARNING: Realism bias):

1. Emphasis placed on bolt action rifles for the German side, with MP40s being reserved for squad leaders and commanders for the most part and G41s being quite rare. 2-3 assault troopers for the Germans on a 64-player server, and 1-2 semi-autos sounds more realistic to me.

2. German assault troopers and semi-auto riflemen can be given the option of captured PPShs and SVT40s respectively. These weapons were used quite often by German soldiers in Stalingrad.

3. Fix the bloody PPSh. It has the same problem that the MP40 had in Ostfront - too much recoil. It's being easily outgunned by MP40s in close range as well as Mkb42s. It doesn't help that MP40/IIs will be more common than the PPSh drum mag due to a surplus of Axis players.

4. Abolish unlocks or make them better representatives of historical weapon variations and development. Could also make it so the player can choose to toggle these unlocks on or off for their weapons per game.

5. Get rid of the prototypes or make them appropriately rare, as in 1 or 2 per side on the field.

6. Fix some of the maps to solve a lot of the spawn camping issues. I've had games of Commissar's House where I would spawn as a Russian and instantly be killed by a German tank sitting right outside our spawn. Apartments also allows Germans to camp the Russian spawn behind the wall, and the Germans are often shot down immediately as they spawn on Grain Elevator.

7. Remove the Russian tank on Pavlov's House, give them more anti-tank rifles and grenades/satchels, and give more incentive to fight more fiercely within the house itself. The real battles surrounding Pavlov's House pitted Russian infantry against a numerically superior German force with armor support, yet the Russians won each time. Make the Germans have to bleed to get into that house and capture it!

8. A version of the SDK for those of us without expensive rigs. Really stretching here, though.

9. Tankers should be able to bail out and fight on foot rather than scuttle and respawn in dire circumstances. With animations in which they are vulnerable to enemy fire, of course, not just that teleporting crap from Ostfront.

10. Also, increase recoil on hip-firing light machine guns. Far too often, I see players simply running into cap zones and hip firing those everywhere with ridiculous accuracy.

Did I mention I'm in a German realism unit? I likely play Russian about 85% of the time (Axis side is completely flooded with players for the most part), and I can't stress enough that the Soviets usually draw the short straw in this game.
I've said multiple times on these forums that if you base the load-outs on more historical numbers, the balance issues will address themselves.

On the positive side:

- More (larger and diverse) maps
- More vehicles (Tiger 1, 38t, StuGs, BTs, KVs, Opel Blitzes, ZiS Trucks...)
- More uniforms and branches
- Lugers and MG42s, as well as pushable Maxim guns
- More localized damage effects (Shoot someone in the hand or arm, they might drop their rifle, in the legs, they fall down and struggle to get back up and walk, other bullet wounds can faze a person more...)
- Romanian, Hungarian, Croatian, and Italian factions (Probably pushing it, now)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
- More bolts, less fantasy weapons
- No leveling on bots (since it seems unlikely the leveling system will be abolished)
- A few maps need spawn areas fixed
- Bandaging should take much longer and result in some sort of penalty. A leg wound makes you slower, and arm wound makes your aim far worse.
- Maxim gun-shields
- No spotter plane
- Increase weapon sway while suppressed or fatigued
- Fix the sound bug (again), along with other bug fixes
- more time on lockdowns
- More time to exit protected area when you stumble into it, don't kill you if you are entrenched in a protected area. You need to be hunted down.
- DP-28 penetration seems underpowered
- Allow the DT machine gun as a DP-28 upgrade
- random atmospherics; rain, fog, smoke, etc
- make zoom an option for the whiners that would rather pixel hunt for someone at 100m while the rest of us simulate having average eyesight

Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
I'm not really agree with some terms here.
Accuracy of weapons it's ok. Bolt action rifles are ok. I think that starting to change realistic balistics for "balance" game will be bad.
One point is that players (we) have many "aim" an we are so accurate compared to "real" war scenario, where most shoot misses. Well, maybe more sway or more dithering its ok for represent real war scenario could be discussed.

Yes, I think that maybe the semiautos and autos must be reduced in some terms but 1 assault for 32 players? I'm really not agree with that.
My point is that role numbers and role types maybe need to be reworked.

Maybe we must select first weapon and then, with the weapon choosen, the the role. With that kind of selection you will be first limiting the weapons and then will have no problem with leaders or engineers (hope you understand my point).
In fact this will allow to separate weapons-roles more effectively, causing that limiting weapons work correctly and roles will correctly applyed.

Upvote 0
Well, actually, I was thinking more along the lines as 2-3 assault troopers for the Germans, regardless of the server size as a whole. Historically, German submachine guns were rather scarce; MP40s were typically reserved for particular people on the battlefield, usually the squad leader.

On the other hand, I would propose the Soviets actually get more assault troopers, because they were much more widely equipped with submachine guns. Approximately 6 times as many PPShs were produced than MP40s.

So basically, my idea is this: while the Germans would start off with less assault weapons in a round, they would be fighting and killing a higher number of Soviet assault troopers, giving them the opportunity to capture PPShs for themselves. Which the Germans often did in reality.

I know people frown on attempting to balance things based on realism around here, but I feel that if you were to give each side historically-accurate load-outs and have them fight it out and observe over a period of time, one would find that they form a natural balance as players work out the advantages and disadvantages of each side and use them.

As of now, we have an artificial attempt at balance. Both sides have much the same load-outs. This leads to unfulfilling uphill battles against ludicrous amounts of rare and deadly-accurate German weapons in situations where the Soviets had the historical advantage.
In Ostfront, as a rifleman, killing the uncommon assault trooper who was wiping out your allies felt genuinely relieving. In RO2, you just end up seeing the other 5 or 6 running around, gleefully gunning people down at any range. You kill them, they're immediately back in force.

Reactions: GRIZZLY
Upvote 0
real smoke instead of those stupid image planes.
lower ping.
deployment of mg on any object.
rolling sideways by doubleclicking on q or e
free look like arma 2.
hardware accelerated sound for ppl with soundcards.
real smoke.
more disabling supression effect from arty and mg... more dizzyness, deafness, tinnitus, heavier blur .. as it is now ppl poke out their head and fire back even if supressed, so whats the point ?
bullet penetration of wooden fences.
ricochets.

options for:
hbao
post aliasing like bf 3(makes normal aa feel so 5 years ago, and looks 100 times better)

Last edited:
Upvote 0