• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mount & Blade

On a slight offtopic, anyone excited about Mount&Blade:With Fire and Sword ?

YouTube - Mount & Blade : With Fire And Sword - Official GDC Trailer [HD]

As the video says, takes place in 17th century, eastern europe with real factions and people (swedes, poles, russians etc etc..) and ofcourse firearms. It will be interesting to see how well have they managed to balance firearms with the more traditional bow/crossbow and melee weapons.

It will be released May 3rd, with a price of $14,99.

For that price, I will buy it on release date.

Upvote 0
Have you tried multiplayer? The combat is much more interesting.

The good players feign attacks constantly while keeping on the edge of the danger area and probing in for swings while maneuvering around opponents. Add to that mastering swing sequences for fake outs while keeping in mind the speeds of each. Then add in whether you can crush through enemy defenses based on the weight of your weapon, how long your range is, whether you can perform pierce attacks on enemy armor for maximum damage... You also have to worry about keeping a shield handy to block ranged attacks or dodging mounted attacks. Then there's attacking techniques to combat each of those as well. There's actually a guide somewhere out there detailing all the possible techniques people use. It's rather complicated and takes some skill. If you join a game and just attempt to do the simple attack/block sequence I guarantee you will get destroyed by anyone with even a little experience.

The biggest problem with multiplayer is how easy it is to exploit some of the game's oversights. Things like being able to constantly swing large, high damage weapons quickly and with near-instant recovery. You would expect it to be simple to just charge a player like that with a shield, but if they have a decent head on their shoulders they can continue a fast barrage of attacks until your shield is turned to splinters.

It's alright if you are looking for something different but you'll likely find more realistic behavior out of the game's AI as far as battles go. Unless you find a specific group that tries to arrange battle lines and realistic combat you might be disappointed.

Also, With Fire and Sword looks pretty neat, especially for $15. Handguns and such will be an interesting change of pace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
Ya, multiplayer, while it's a lot more complex, is also just about dealing with the flawed combat system to see who can deal with the weirdness better and who can exploit the rule system better. It still has jacksheet to do with actual combat.
I doubt anything short of a complete replacement of the current mechanics can change a whole lot about that, but if a mod attempts to enhance the current system, I'd be interested in seeing that.

Upvote 0
Wow this game is pretty bad. The combat system is all about swinging your two handed overpowered war hammer/greatsword every second while in full plate armor. Otherwise the combat system is awkward with horrid hit detection. Supposedly its all about speed but if you play non ****ing stop, you can swing that mallet every second in full armor. The vets have all the best stuff and prey upon everyone else. Too bad for anyone who's invested in one handed! :rolleyes: And repairs make the "skill" gap even wider. There is NO reason for them. There's no multiplayer campaign, that would be the only reason to have them in. Its just like every other MP game, you go from map to map. Archery is a joke too. 75% blind luck that the arrow will travel straight in the arc you were aiming. This was barely worth $6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow this game is pretty bad. The combat system is all about swinging your two handed overpowered war hammer/greatsword every second while in full plate armor. Otherwise the combat system is awkward with horrid hit detection. Supposedly its all about speed but if you play non ****ing stop, you can swing that mallet every second in full armor. The vets have all the best stuff and prey upon everyone else. Too bad for anyone who's invested in one handed! :rolleyes: And repairs make the "skill" gap even wider. There is NO reason for them. There's no multiplayer campaign, that would be the only reason to have them in. Its just like every other MP game, you go from map to map. Archery is a joke too. 75% blind luck that the arrow will travel straight in the arc you were aiming. This was barely worth $6.

I'm not quite as harsh as you, but I wasn't really impressed with the MP in Warbands. I was in on the beta for it, but I didn't particularly enjoy the MP. Didn't buy it until this past sale, and that was more because I just had $6 that I really didn't need.

Upvote 0
I'd feel better if my sword that cost 7000+ gold would kill people in 2, 3 hits considering how hard it is to hit someone who is swinging faster than you. And half the time I thrust my sword at an archer's unarmored head and he shrugs it off, takes out his shield and blocks my follow up swing no sweat. All that said this game could really be great with better...physics maybe? Something to make the hit detection better and more consistent...

Upvote 0

It has the best melee combat system I've ever seen in a game, which also takes real skill. You just need to practice and you'll get the hang of it. Tip: use auto-block. That way you don't have to aim your blocks. Not all servers allow that setting, though. The hit detection is probably more accurate than you think. You actually have to 'aim' your sword / bayonet. If you're not hitting the other guy, you've missed. Really, try to get good at the combat before saying it's a crap system. :)

Also, Warband without mods is more of a SP game, IMO.

You should also try Mount & Musket. Awesome mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-and-musket-battalion-mod

Last edited:
Reactions: Apos
Upvote 0

I'm assuming your talking about cRPG ? I suggest that you start with native on MP, and then once you get the hang of it, move on to cRPG if you wish.

Native is much better to train your skills than cRPG.

I personally never got into cRPG because it reduces the skill factor of the game so much(heavy armor+2hander spam) whereas in Native, in general evryone is alot lighter on the armor, usually 2-3 hit's should do the job.

Archer's are pretty deadly on Native(almost on the edge of being
overpowered).

Oh and the Combat system is pretty much the best melee system around. Easy to learn, hard to master, but once perfected it is absolutely genius.

Upvote 0
My second most favorite game (my favorite is RO) mainly because of the mods and that they have 200 player servers in MP. The combat is really fun and Sieges are awesome. The teamwork is also really good in M&B and it takes skill to be an archer. I have played hundreds of hours of this game and recommend it to anyone.

Upvote 0