• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mass Effect - PC soon to be owners

Nope, not untill they remove limited activations.

Go spend just a few minutes on the Bioshock forums, and you will see how much that system can hurt legitimate owners of a game, there is no shortage of people who have been denied a re-activation.
Well to be honest I don't care because I never had any problems with BioShock at all. Or should I say because I didn't want to have any problems.

Upvote 0
Well to be honest I don't care because I never had any problems with BioShock at all. Or should I say because I didn't want to have any problems.

Get over yourself, saying "i haven't seen the problem personally so there is none" is incredibly selfish.

To me a reasonable online-authentification was preferable to a cd-check actually, at least I don't have to dig through all my stuff to find a stupid disc.

Eventually every game will be hacked and singleplayer games will increasingly target the console market.

Online verification i have no problem with, but add limited activations and its a one way ticked to bumrape, you beeing the rapee.

And could we please dispence with the lie that PC gaming is some festering cesspool of piracy and Consoles are the cure? piracy is rampant on Consoles too! only they dont have copy protection, so you are free to lend your copy to a freind so he can play it and not have to buy it, or sell it used resulting in lost income for the developers, piracy is made easy on Consoles!

They have been telling us the sky is falling for the last decade or more, piracy has been "destroying gaming" since the Commadore 64 days, and yet that has not stopped the industry from growing into a monolithic economic superpower, raking in more cash than Hollywood and the music industry put togeather!
It all rings just a wee bit hollow..

Upvote 0
Get over yourself, saying "i haven't seen the problem personally so there is none" is incredibly selfish.
So what? I didn't say there is no problem but if people buy the game and think I'm so sure this **** is not going to run because it sucks why did I buy it in the first place it doesn't suprise me when they get trouble. Personally I installed the game, had no problems(why would there be any), finished the game in a week or something and then uninstalled it. Replayability is not so high that you would reinstall it 10 times anyways. And if you have trouble with your hardware and had to resetup your PC or whatever, oh no 1 installation less. Sure if you do that five times then you'll be out of installations, but that would just be because of your own stupidity.
So you know I'm not saying there is no problem, of course those limited activations are not optimal for the customer and I don't like them either, but it's not as bad as people say. You know some people even mess with it just so they can complain about it.

Online verification i have no problem with, but add limited activations and its a one way ticked to bumrape, you beeing the rapee.

And could we please dispence with the lie that PC gaming is some festering cesspool of piracy and Consoles are the cure? piracy is rampant on Consoles too! only they dont have copy protection, so you are free to lend your copy to a freind so he can play it and not have to buy it, or sell it used resulting in lost income for the developers, piracy is made easy on Consoles!

They have been telling us the sky is falling for the last decade or more, piracy has been "destroying gaming" since the Commadore 64 days, and yet that has not stopped the industry from growing into a monolithic economic superpower, raking in more cash than Hollywood and the music industry put togeather!
Piracy is killing PC Gaming. Sure it's not only that, but it's also a big part. As for console piracy, you can't download PS3 games(yet). And obviously the selling rates for consoles are much bigger and the console market is growing faster than the PC Gaming market. So there has to be a reason. Sure you can have it the easy way and say blabla they're saying that pc gaming is dying since 5 years but then someday you'll be suprised when it's really pretty much dead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely agree. Noone can honestly compare software piracy of 1995 to the current situation. The internet simply changed that. And if you're not seeing the effects software piracy has on pc gaming then you're blind. And like you said concole piracy is rather limited compared to PC piracy even with consoles that can be rather easily hacked like the Xbox.

Upvote 0
Nope, not untill they remove limited activations.

Go spend just a few minutes on the Bioshock forums, and you will see how much that system can hurt legitimate owners of a game, there is no shortage of people who have been denied a re-activation.

That thing was removed in a patch, but I guess that's your point. Also, where does it say that Mass Effect has limited installations? I've only read and heard about the online authentication, which was removed or toned down.

Upvote 0
That thing was removed in a patch, but I guess that's your point. Also, where does it say that Mass Effect has limited installations? I've only read and heard about the online authentication, which was removed or toned down.

Read again, you only get 3 activations, the thing they removed was a system that would deactivate the game if it was not lauched every 10 days, and not just the first 10 days either, every 10 days, forever.. but you still only get 3 activations.

Upvote 0
*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

Holy **** this game is awesome. I started today and stopped now after I killed the rachni queen(alien genocide ftw) and am back on the ship. I only killed the rachni queen(and with that also the rachni race) because it was ashley's advice and I want to get closer to her haha. The game is just so awesome, in other games I would never bother about stuff like that, but here it's just really really awesome, I just love Bioware!

Upvote 0

Yep thats because you can modify your console to play pirated games but it's an illegal process in some countries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ATM I'm really pissed :mad:

The game crashes at about every third loading screen without any errror, it just freezes. It was like this from the beginning but it didn't matter so much there, but now it really starts to piss me off. Damn EA needs to get a patch out and BioWare(their games seem to be great, but support..) needs to keep their damn community up to date about this issue, most people are experiencing this.

Upvote 0
I've had random crashes, crashes to blackscreens, graphical errors, AI getting stuck, and at least half a dozen really silly repoducable things that Q&A should have picked up on.

I've dropped the details and put the res on 800x600 and it has removed all my technical problems. It is really far too buggy. You'd think that with this number of bugs/issues and you wanted to rush a release you could at least have started working on a patch as soon as it went gold so the patch came shortly after release.

Not to mention the whole limited installs thing. It seems you don't get an activation back when you uninstall at all. You have to ring support to get them back. This also is extremely poor.

Don't get me wrong though, its a really good game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0