• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make 'em loud n' proud!!!

Ok, now that I've played the trial and know how all the sounds sound like, the gun sounds are loud enough. They may not be proportional, but if they were to be too loud, then it would sound distorted and poppy.

If I was able to extract the sounds, I'd edit the sounds, amplify them, and show all of you what I mean.

Maybe the gunshots do need to be more in contrast with others sounds to be more proportional, but that would mean that the sounds in the game would have to be more in contrast more with the gunshots. But then the people using normal volume/speakers wouldn't be able to hear sounds other than gunshots.

Not trying to be an asshole, but if you seriously want louder gunshots without the gunshots sounding distorted and poppy, turn the volume of your speakers/headphones up (though I wouldn't recommend turning it up too loud). If you want more contrast, then you'll have to live with it because most people use normal volume (read the paragraph above to see what I mean).

Upvote 0
Floyd said:
And as I like to protect my hearing, someone would have to tell me how to wear my noise cancelling ear muffs and my headphones.

The sounds get my thumbs up. It's impossible to make the sounds "realistic", but I think these are the best you can have in a game.

Speaking from my school days, when blank firing the .303 Lee Enfield, our ears were ringing after the firing the first volley and they'd could still be ringing the following day. We never wore the in-ear ear defenders we were issued with because you couldn't hear enough with them in. My left ear has never been the same after getting far to close to the ejection port of a Bren gun. :D

Having my speakers making a ringing sound after I fire my first shot would be "realistic", but also really, really annoying. ;)

IMO, the only chance that could be made is to reduce the ambient sounds that "filter" through into the tank. At the moment I can ID russian or german tanks from the sound of their engines starting up, and from a fair distance. If my tanks engine was running, I shouldn't be able to hear it. So rather than trying to make a particular sound louder, making other sounds quiter, when the first sound is "active". But I'm not really bothered :)

Upvote 0
Infantry of the period did not wear ear protection, but tank crews did. That means the tank engine and track noise should be louder outside the tank than inside.

As for the gun shots, I think the sounds themselves are pretty good. I didn't like them at first, but I've grown used to them (the G43 and the machineguns aside). The mixing needs some work though. Perhaps TW should provide a seperate slider for weapon sounds to allow people to tailor the mixing to the volume level they like to play at.

Upvote 0