• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make 'em loud n' proud!!!

Skip

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2006
The guns are waaaayyy too quiet. When a gun goes off it should sound like a ****in' cannon. If you shoot a rifle, you go deaf temporarily, IE ears ringing. So if you are unloading an MG on an area, you wouldn't be able to hear your teamates yelling at you very well. Or when firing a tnk cannon it should sound like a nuke just ****in struck or something.

What is up with these "make the guns louder" threads :confused:? Either get better speakers/headphones, a new sound card, or up the ingame volume. The sounds are loud enough, real gunshots can hurt your ears after constant firing for several minutes. So if you really want them to sound as loud as they are IRL, then crank those speakers to max, just don't blame me when the cops show up.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
The gun sounds do lack some oomph, but I blame it mostly on the mixing rather than the sounds themselves. Voices, footsteps, breathing, ambient sounds, and arty strikes need to go down, while gun shots, grenade explosions, and especially tank engine sounds need to be raised.

Agreed,

First of all I must say that RO have the greatest sounds ever played out in wargame.
But.. if i have to rant ..
Could to some tweakeing, First of all the tanks wich should have loud engine sounds along with the ratteling tracks.
The tank guns are loud and pretty much right, perhaps a tad more depth to it.

MGs , grenades and rifles should be louder. especially the G43
It also seems like the Soviets smgs are louder third person then in first person view.
This couses the higly anoying sound of ppsh over everything else , a constant pha pha pha .pha pha , make my ears bleed.
This is espcially noticable in practise mode , when bots constantly holding the trigger .
Not a big issue, but perhaps the devs could look in to it

Ramalama pha pha pha ramalama pha pha pha

Upvote 0
Skip said:
The guns are waaaayyy too quiet. When a gun goes off it should sound like a ****in' cannon. If you shoot a rifle, you go deaf temporarily, IE ears ringing. So if you are unloading an MG on an area, you wouldn't be able to hear your teamates yelling at you very well. Or when firing a tnk cannon it should sound like a nuke just ****in struck or something.

try getting some good soundboxes :D my mate has 2 boxes, and one bass thingy, when there is an explosion over there when he plays on my account, the boom roars through the entire house pissing off his parents man:D or turn up the volume ;)

Upvote 0
People, all these useless comments saying "OMG GET BTTR HDPHNS LOL" or "OMFG TRN TEH VOLME UP LOL" are of so little use it makes baby Jesus cry.

He quite obviously means the gunsounds need to be turned up in comparison to other sounds (footsteps etc), something "getting a new headset" will not fix.

I for one agree with the OP. Gunshots need to be louder, together with tank sounds (though this is apparently impossible if I remember Xancerman's words correctly)

Upvote 0
Can anyone post the sounds in this thread? I don't have RO:O yet, I'm waiting for a demo.

Just keep in mind that you don't want to make the gunshots sound too loud or else they'll sound distorted and poppy. I think the reason the gunshots may be unproportional compared to the other sounds is because all the sounds are made for normal volume.

If you want the sounds to be proportional, you would have to put the volume to ear-splitting and then adjust the rest of the sounds to sound as loud as they are IRL.

I'm not being a smartass or anything, I'm just stating why the volume of the gunshots seem unproportional comapred to the volume of footsteps and such.

Upvote 0
AceOfSpades said:
Can anyone post the sounds in this thread? I don't have RO:O yet, I'm waiting for a demo.

Just keep in mind that you don't want to make the gunshots sound too loud or else they'll sound distorted and poppy. I think the reason the gunshots may be unproportional compared to the other sounds is because all the sounds are made for normal volume.

If you want the sounds to be proportional, you would have to put the volume to ear-splitting and then adjust the rest of the sounds to sound as loud as they are IRL.

I'm not being a smartass or anything, I'm just stating why the volume of the gunshots seem unproportional comapred to the volume of footsteps and such.

he's got a point there.
if the guns sound to loud you will burst your ears XD you'd have to turn the volume down, but then you cant hear footsteps. if you turn it up again you can hear thefootsteps but then the gun blows up your ears again.
IMO its pretty good as it is.

what i would like to see though is the radius people can hear you breathe in increase.. now you can storm a guy with bayonet breathing at your loudest cuz your allmost exhausted, and still the guy wont notice:confused:
and make a gurgling sound when you're bayonetted:rolleyes: i wanna hear myself choke in blood:p

Upvote 0
Creutz said:
Agreed,

First of all I must say that RO have the greatest sounds ever played out in wargame.
But.. if i have to rant ..
Could to some tweakeing, First of all the tanks wich should have loud engine sounds along with the ratteling tracks.
The tank guns are loud and pretty much right, perhaps a tad more depth to it.
Yeah the engine like the Panther's should have the sound like this panther.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3957983473588587422&q=panther
Another thing I think should be added for sound is when you fire the main gun, you should hear the sound of a spent shell case being ejected on the turret floor.

Upvote 0
I've already played with the volume high enough that the MG42 near me made my ear ring on that side, and the other sounds (footsteps, voices, etc.) still weren't very loud. I wouldn't mind if they decided to put in a seperate slider for gunshots and explosions, or if they simulated ears ringing and temporary hearing loss, but I'd appreciate not being forced to listen to sounds in a game that will damage my hearing in reality...

Upvote 0
I really think they should simulate sounds that are too loud to hear clearly. I'm not sure how this would work with individual audio hardware, but I would like to see RO clip all sounds when the overall volume level hits a plateau. In other words, when an arty round lands too close or something, there is a brief moment of total silence right at the peak of the explosion, followed by lowered volume levels and ringing.

Upvote 0
It won't hurt your ear if they upped it a bit :) I remember the Kar98 sound in 3.0 :rolleyes:

I think there may be different tank gun sounds inroduced in the future. In some books I've read, both sides mention that vehicles had a considerable different shooting sound than others. German infantry say it's possible to make out a Tiger with it's different "bark".

I've been in tanks and all I can say is it is impossible to make each other's voice in that deafying mechanic and hydraulic sounds. That's why Germans used headsets, and when the headsets are not working, the only way to guide their driver was to "tap" on their shoulder.

I should mention that, when the turret mechanism is powered by engine it makes a damn loud sound. If they are thinking of modelling both modelling hand crank rotation and engine powered rotation we should have sounds associated with it.

Also, the weight of the tanks and the creaks of the tracks should be heard from long distances; and from short distances with a "horrifying" effect.

Upvote 0
I have to give props to the sound engineers. The sound mixing in this game is phenomenal, imo.

The distant rifle/smg sounds have got the echo and ring down to a tee.

Were they to crank up the sounds and equate the decibels to those in real life, you wouldn't be able to hear much else and simple conversation would be impossible over VOIP or other voice programs. (Unless of course you muted the ambient sounds while VOIP was on....but then you've just defeated the purpose of turning up the other sounds).

I own a small farm and run quite a few tractors, cotton pickers, and combines. One must stand very close and SHOUT in the ear of the other party to carry on a conversation if standing within 50 feet of a state-of-the-art modern day 466cu in (7640 cubic cm), 250hp (186kW) John Deere cotton picker running at full throttle. This is a small engine by comparison and is utilizing the most modern day turbo chargers, exhaust systems and computer controlled injector pumps. I can only imagine the roar of one of these big tanks.

And as I like to protect my hearing, someone would have to tell me how to wear my noise cancelling ear muffs and my headphones.

Careful what you ask for. You may find yourself SCREAMING for relief :D

Upvote 0