• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M14 EBR = disappointment

m14 is awesome... hipshooting is extremely easy to do because of the laser, the ironsights i like a lot but i think itd be easier to shoot if it had the same sights as the scar.

i like the m14, but once you hit wave 7 i would take the xbow since with 6 man on suicidal u can one shot fps as a lvl6 sharpshooter.

Upvote 0
I prefer the crossbow over the m14, especially when I'm with a team. The crossbow is much better at long range due to its ridiculous headshot damage and scope. The m14 is better than the crossbow only when there are many weak enemies at close range. Usually my teammates cover those, and I always have a my 9mm. I found that a crossbow + grenade launcher combo is most effective, as you can effectively fire strong weapons continuously but never run out of ammo.

Upvote 0
I have something for those among us blubbering about the M14.

This is a screenshot from when I solo'd hard mode all the way up to the Patriarch with nothing but an M-14 EBR.

SCREENSHOT

As you can see that's 6 KG of weight and I have an M14EBR which weighs 5KG+1KG base, that's a dead patty with a "straight rush" achievement, which I won because I killed the Patty with only two magazines from the M14 in the first run before he healed.

And you guys are COMPLAINING about this gun?

Upvote 0

This is a screenshot from when I solo'd hard mode all the way up to the Patriarch with nothing but an M-14 EBR.

SCREENSHOT

As you can see that's 6 KG of weight and I have an M14EBR which weighs 5KG+1KG base, that's a dead patty with a "straight rush" achievement, which I won because I killed the Patty with only two magazines from the M14 in the first run before he healed.

Does the guns ability at close ranges have ANYTHING to do with the complaints that the Iron Sights are lackluster at long range over the scope we were expecting from the description 'Sniper Rifle'.

We KNOW the frigging gun is epic close-mid range. I was playing a 6man Farm on Hard yesterday with a bunch of new players who on half the waves were all wiped. At wave 5 i switched from SCAR to M14 to deal with Scrakes and in the end clocked up 1150 kills. It was just a royal pita to kill a Husk you could barely see using the Iron Sights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SCREENSHOT

Yes, if i was going solo I would chose the M14 over the crossbow, but with a team the crossbow is better

Upvote 0
Also the laser is useless at long range because, news flash, YOU CAN'T SEE IT.

Newsflash: that's when you use the iron sights.

Close range: laser
Long range: irons

It performs very well at all ranges. It's not difficult to nail headshots at long range at all.

I like the iron sights, even though they are more difficult to use. A scope would make the weapon too powerful imo. Maybe you could buy the scope, but it would have to be quite expensive.

Upvote 0
Does the guns ability at close ranges have ANYTHING to do with the complaints that the Iron Sights are lackluster at long range over the scope we were expecting from the description 'Sniper Rifle'.

We KNOW the frigging gun is epic close-mid range. I was playing a 6man Farm on Hard yesterday with a bunch of new players who on half the waves were all wiped. At wave 5 i switched from SCAR to M14 to deal with Scrakes and in the end clocked up 1150 kills. It was just a royal pita to kill a Husk you could barely see using the Iron Sights.

Once again, if a scope gives you such a boner, pick up a crossbow. Frankly I don't think it's as effective over long distances because you're sacrificing:

mobility
target acquisition speed
fire rate
magazine capacity (1 vs 20 with about 1/2 the reload time on a crossbow)
amount of ammunition (14 mags versus 40 bolts)
projectile velocity
field of view

I can spray 20 rounds in the direction of a mob of zeds or to an FP or even the Patriarch and 9 times out of ten I'll kill 3-10 zeds just out of sheer luck at any range. The irons are not good, but the fact of the matter is any movement throws off a scope's aim, meaning you have to remain completely static while aiming X-bow. Meanwhile I can maintain full mobility and have nearly instantaneous target acquisition from the hip with the M14 and whip around and chew through FPs and little monkeys that like to grab you from behind while popping a siren's head or wailing into a Husk.

You don't gain any accuracy from using a scope versus ironsights, the only thing you gain is increased visibility but you sacrifice precious field of view. Fact of the matter is you already get a zoom on the ironsights by default, which effectively means you've got a scope already, just with lower magnification levels. Are you trying to tell me you can't see a gigantic bloat or FP lumbering around at 50 feet? Because that is the only advantage of a scope, being able to see. Meanwhile my red laser dot flashes over their head and I go *pop* and their head bursts.

The only advantages, read, the ONLY advantages of the Xbow over the M-14 are that it has marginally higher power and greater penetration.

Considering that the XBow has a substantially lower velocity projectile, you have to lead your targets more than you would with a bullet, which is why I've always hated the thing. Low velocities actually lead to shorter effective ranges and give you a much more dramatic trajectory IRL, the Xbow would be all but useless as a long range weapon if this game actually simulated projectile drop.

Upvote 0
Newsflash: that's when you use the iron sights.

Close range: laser
Long range: irons

It performs very well at all ranges. It's not difficult to nail headshots at long range at all.

I like the iron sights, even though they are more difficult to use. A scope would make the weapon too powerful imo. Maybe you could buy the scope, but it would have to be quite expensive.

Best example, play Heresy Beta 3 on solo. Stand at the top of the upper deck and see how well you can headshot the Zeds as soon as they turn the corner.

Upvote 0
Best example, play Heresy Beta 3 on solo. Stand at the top of the upper deck and see how well you can headshot the Zeds as soon as they turn the corner.

I don't know that map, but I can confirm that the M14 is very capable of making long-range headshots. It's all about aim, if you keep missing... well, it's you, I'm afraid. Yes, a scope would make those shots easier, but why should everything be easy? You can also learn to master the iron sights.

Besides, what do you think makes you more of a "sharpshooter", being able to make headshots with or without a scope? It's more of a challenge.

Like I said, an option to buy a scope would be nice though.

Upvote 0
I also think the iron sights, while fantastic on the rifle in real life, are too cluttered and hard to use in the game. I don't want a scope on it, but considering they chose to use a model that is loaded with picatinny rails, the least they could do is stick an aimpoint on there. I love the gun to death but I actually prefer to use it as close/medium range and do most of my precision headshooting with the lever action rifle.

Upvote 0
These are three screenshots taken on Heresy Beta 3. I'm aiming at the
book in the picture from 48 paces out. A pace is about 3 feet, so this is
only 144 feet away (roughly 44 meters).

I have my sensitivity set to 25, the highest the in-game menu allows. (If
there's a way to put it up higher in configs, I'd like to hear about it as it's
still sort of slow for me.)

When you zoom in, no matter how little you move the mouse, the screen
will move in increments. These three screenshots display three of said
increments from left to right.

sharp1.jpg

sharp2.jpg

sharp3.jpg

As you can see, you can line up with the book when you're centered. Take
a look at the amount of space in-between the book and the sight's center
in the first and third pictures.

A top-down, MS Paint'd example:

los.jpg

The red circle is the player. The blue lines represent the aforementioned
increments. As distance increases, the amount of space between these
increments increases.

Hitting the green target would not be an issue because it is lined up with
one of these increments. Hitting the yellow target is impossible until it
gets close enough for you to aim at it accurately or for it to move.

Look at the screenshots again. That is only 144 feet (roughly 44
meters) away. And they call this a gun for the Sharpshooter?

When you are zoomed in with the crossbow, the limitation of the
increments is significantly reduced because you are zoomed in.It is
as if you are standing closer, thereby giving you more fine control of
where you are placing your crosshair.

Response to two common comments:

= = = =

The M14 is awesome, I don't know what you are talking about.

The M14 is a great gun at close to medium range. Try shooting
something that distance away and see how many headshots
you rack up.

If you want long range, use the crossbow.

The crossbow is also a nice weapon. The crossbow is also
the Tier 2 weapon.

The M14 is supposed to be the Sharpshooter's Tier 3 weapon - the
ultimate tool in their arsenal - and it can't shoot at mildly faraway
targets worth a damn. How can you call this a Sharpshooter gun?

We wanted a real sniper rifle, and instead we get a laser-sighted gun
that couldn't shoot an apple off a tree down the road.

Last edited:
Upvote 0