• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M14 EBR = disappointment

AHaha, oh wow.

No, Simo Hayha didn't use optics because his targets were typically massed Soviet infantry at comparatively close range (he operated in a forest, after all), and because a scope would've increased his profile and possibly given away his position with glint off the lens.

But in no way do "most real snipers" not use magnifying optics, that's just absurd. The ones that don't are in a very small minority and only do so when the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Funny, he seems to think he didn't use a scope because he presented less of a target to the russian snipers ( I haven't seen a mention of the range being part of the reason ); one of whom eventually shot him in the face. But yes I agree a lot of the time the ranges will have been comparatively short, but pretty much bang on for the game.

Still an amazing ratio though :)

Edit: Tbh I don't mind if they put a scope on it or not, I spend most of my time playing DH and RO but I do love it with iron sights at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M14 is the most awesome gun in the whole game!
I always loved the style of the LAR, but it just didnt do enough damage later on. The XBow was way to slow reload for me and i didnt like the scope at all.
Now you gave me the m14! :O
Holy F..ness that thing is pwning.
Exactly the same handling like the LAR with the ironsights, and on top of that a cool laser for quick unaimed shots, insane fast shooting speed, crapload of ammo for it and last but not least huuuuge damage. You can pick of heads the whole time and if things get messy just unload a clip into the world and wait for more enemies to spawn.

Upvote 0

Oh man this is a classic example of Nerd Rage right here. Sorry, you expect me to believe that you can, in the same time it takes to line up the shot with a Scope, take the heads off multiple specimens at long range using the Iron Sights without a zoom? And by long, i mean the other end of the map on WestLondon. Yeah i'll believe it when i see it mate.

The best part is, to top it off, even if you can infact manage it, you proceed to call everyone who can't a noob. Seriously if anyones trolling here its you.

Lining up a target with the Iron Sights takes longer than it would with a Scope, end of story. The M14 should function better at long range.

Upvote 0
No, I can aim accurately, you can't.

I think you should qualify your statement by saying "if you are a noob, you can't aim accurately enough for long distances."

Let me emphasize something for you.

It's not a matter of aiming accurately.

It's a matter of no matter how little you move your mouse, there is a minimum distance that the (invisible) crosshair will move. The greater the range, the less chance that you can land a headshot if the enemy falls between these points.

Do you not understand the concept of field of view and mouse sensitivity? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
you wanted to zoom your m14?
here, how's this?:
Shot00022.jpg

Shot00024.jpg

Shot00025.jpg

Upvote 0
Negative.........stuff.............. 20 rounds of equal power and accuracy to the LAR with faster movement speed and fire rate with double the mag capacity and faster reload? What are you all complaining about?
Actually, the minor setback I was thinking of was the price, but YES FINALLY. Someone else who acknowledges that the EBR is an upgrade from the LAR and not the Crossbow.
Various stop stroking yourself. You can't use Iron Sights at extreme range anywhere near as effectively as you could a scope so quit the bull****.
Actually, if you have the Scope set to be viewed through texture mode, it limits your view by quite a large amount, so......yeah......kind of spoils your aim a tad.

Upvote 0
Oh man this is a classic example of Nerd Rage right here. Sorry, you expect me to believe that you can, in the same time it takes to line up the shot with a Scope, take the heads off multiple specimens at long range using the Iron Sights without a zoom? And by long, i mean the other end of the map on WestLondon. Yeah i'll believe it when i see it mate.

The best part is, to top it off, even if you can infact manage it, you proceed to call everyone who can't a noob. Seriously if anyones trolling here its you.

Lining up a target with the Iron Sights takes longer than it would with a Scope, end of story. The M14 should function better at long range.

First of all, there is an FOV zoom in Killing Floor, even on pistols, when you look down the sights.
If you want to see me do what you asked to see, I can arrange that. Would you like my Steam ID?
Red Orchestra has no FOV zoom and bigger draw distances and yet I have an unlocked achievement for >100 yards kill with a bolt action rifle.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have hardly red many posts in this thread seing there is a lot, but I want to state the obvious in case it hasnt be said.

The M14 is suppose to be the *superior* version of the LEVER ACTION RIFLE. Instead of cocking it after each shot, the M14 is semi-automatic! also comes with a laser sight if you want to use it. If you want to use a *scoped* weapon, use the dam crossbow and quit whinging!!

ok, thats all I wanted to say.

Upvote 0
Sorry, you expect me to believe that you can, in the same time it takes to line up the shot with a Scope, take the heads off multiple specimens at long range using the Iron Sights without a zoom? And by long, i mean the other end of the map on WestLondon. Yeah i'll believe it when i see it mate.

Call me snobby, nerd raging liar but I can aim beter with M14, handgun or anything else that lacks the scope than I can with crossbow in general, even at exteme ranges. Granted, it is not as efficient if I were using the crossbow but I prefer weapon multifunctionality. Or maybe my brains are incompatible with any kind of scoped weapon and I am utter 'noob' in the proper sense of the term. Or maybe I just have been playing RO too much in the past where there was no ironisight zoom at all and still end putting shots at long ranges.

Besides, what is common complaint about M14 being poor 'sniper' weapon? Granted, it doesn't have scope but there's a pattern obviously with the weapons:

1. Lever action rifle for cost-effective, reasonable early (or even late if you just joined) weapon to survive with. Decent all-arounder.
2. Slow crossbow that can pierce and has a scope, lacks multifunctionality in problematic situations but can pretty much kill everything with one bolt.
3. M14, which is something inbetween. It's semiautomatic, it comes with a lightsabre, it lacks scope, it has more ammunition, lacks one-hit kill capability of the crossbow. Multifunctional as you can still use it (despite the fact it is very hard to believe to some people, holy **** Batman) at long ranges while damage and semi-automatic fire makes it beter in random "hey thar buttsecksss?" moments and such.

Actually I wonder if this is more about "every other perk got bit overpowered superweapon so why sharp doesn't have one?"

Upvote 0
......whereas a scope, seeing as it IS a sniper rifle.....

The M14 is a battle rifle chief. They used to be installed with selective fire. EBR (which stands for ENCHANCED BATTLE RIFLE) is currently modernized of the original M14 using more available parts. New adjustable stock, rail system and optics. M14A1 Squad automatic rifle (assault rifle) always had the select fire switch installed. the M14 lacked the full-auto capabilities of a "true" assulte rifle so in later designs they left it out (excluding the EBR)

What you are thinking about my friend is the M21 which was based on the M14 design.

also man up and use the lever-action

Upvote 0
I'm confused, how exactly can you aim better when something is a smaller target than when a Scope brings you closer to it? Even if you can put a shot between the specimens eyes i very much doubt you can do it quickly, and just as quickly to the 4 specimens around it than it could be done with a Scope that brings you closer to them. That and i should probably deal with my mouse sensitivity... i'm sure its increased itself recently.

You don't even need the iron sights at close range, hence the Laser Sight. Whats the point in having 2 modes of aiming on the gun that work better at close range and none that work well at extreme range. If it didn't have a laser i would agree with keeping the iron sights for the all-roundedness, but it does so why describe it as a sniper rifle when it can't really function well as one.

Upvote 0
Ok, I have hardly red many posts in this thread seing there is a lot, but I want to state the obvious in case it hasnt be said.

The M14 is suppose to be the *superior* version of the LEVER ACTION RIFLE. Instead of cocking it after each shot, the M14 is semi-automatic! also comes with a laser sight if you want to use it. If you want to use a *scoped* weapon, use the dam crossbow and quit whining!!.
*signed*

I think the laser sight should increase the accurary while hipfiring the M14EBR.
As you all know, you can move faster while not using the iron sight.
So when rushed by the enemys, you have a better chance to effectivly fire back while trying to backpadle/sidestep out of reach of the enemys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since the update I always thought that the laser sight on the EBR, a final tier weapon for the Marksman, defeated the idea of the perk's playstyle of long range supremacy.

I think the EBR should lose the laser sight and the gain the SCAR's scope(possibly longer zoom), and the SCAR gets the laser sight but loses the scope, and balance the two weapons if needed. The laser sight fits the Commando's style of play imo, a mix of close/long range and run and gun, and the scope obviously fits the Marksman's long range playstyle.

If the xbow and EBR feel too close to each other, hear me out. I've always used the xbow for the stronger zeds(scrake, FP, and boss) for it's insane headshot dmg and for penetrating clusters of enemies, and I will probably be using the EBR for using for popping lower-medium zed heads and larger enemies if they are real close or attacking me. So you can pick either the xbow for stronger guys and penetrating clusters of enemies, or the EBR for easy kills against low-medium hp enemies and decent dmg against the tougher guys. And if those two weapons don't exactly fit my ideal description, they can always be balanced.

Upvote 0
A renowned Finnish sniper, Simo Hayhaa only used iron sights and racked up over 500 kills in 100 days!!!

Not all the kills were with a rifle as some were with an smg but still, incredible!

If you're interested..

http://www.kevos4.com/Simo_Hayha.htm[url]http://www.kevos4.com/Simo_Hayha.htm[/URL]

Some additional reading, courtesy of Cracked:

[url]http://www.cracked.com/article_17019_p1.html[/URL]

He's the first one on the list.

Badassery aside, I think that the M14 is more of a teamwork weapon. Before i get flamed, hear me out: I am always very stingy with my crossbow bolts. Even though you can go retrieve them, running through a mod of ZEDs just isn't that convenient. So, when I USE it, I wait for a good-sized mob of specimens to take out with a few shots (I'd also take out Sirens, Scrakes, and FP's, provided the FP's were far enough away). Now, this meant that I USUALLY had to be pretty much alone, where no one else on the team was going to whittle down the lines of specimens. When I was with a team and I had a crossbow, I rarely used it, usually relying on my Handcannon to take out whatever comes my way.

Now, with the M14, I have PLENTY of backup ammo for the harder waves. I rarely have to fall on my backup Handcannon, just because it can tear just about anything apart. Five friends and myself camped out in the tunnel with the door on Manor, and the EBR could take out Scrakes, Sirens, and really whittle down the Fleshpound. With five other people with me? It was a joke. The only time any of us got damaged was when we didn't pop the Husk fast enough, and one time near the end of the wave where someone forgot to keep welding the door and we had a few crawlers/clots/sirens on us.

Upvote 0