• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WimbledonWomble

FNG / Fresh Meat
Sep 2, 2011
Hi there, Just putting my two cents in here. I love this game, the beta is great and technical issues aside is something that could be a genre defining FPS. I do have one gripe though: Lockdown... I think that if a round lasts 15 minutes, then the attackers shouldd attack until reinforcements are dry. I know it's a different game, but how many times in TF2 does a team cap an objective with 30 seconds to go after 15 minutes of attacking because they employees teamwork for once... Just a suggestion :p

Hi there, Just putting my two cents in here. I love this game, the beta is great and technical issues aside is something that could be a genre defining FPS. I do have one gripe though: Lockdown... I think that if a round lasts 15 minutes, then the attackers shouldd attack until reinforcements are dry. I know it's a different game, but how many times in TF2 does a team cap an objective with 30 seconds to go after 15 minutes of attacking because they employees teamwork for once... Just a suggestion :p

At first I didn't like it either and would have agreed.After alot of thought about it and a few bad rounds I see its usefulness.It saves a headache of being 1-3 good players on a bad team.Many times me and a few comrades would charge a cap and die over and over.When the rest of the team sat around the spawn sniping.

I have set through 40mins of this or more in RO1 and still not ever cap the first objective.In some ways it encourages the team to get off their butt and into the cap zone.While I agree on short maps 5 into 20 mins its not very useful I am thinking ahead what if we have maps like Berezina (for thos that remember it) a 3 round match could take 3 hours almost /justmy2cents

I remember running for a mile just to get sniped as you entered the cap lol
this vid only shows a small portion of the map it was huge!!!

Red Orchestra gameplay - Berezina - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree I really dislike lockdown and I dislike the really short default time limits on the map it really detracts from the enjoyment to feel like your fighting the clock more than the other team. In real life you would be expected to get things done in a certain time BUT if you went over the ideal time you wouldn't suddenly vanish from existence along with all your reinforcements.

I think rounds should be decided by reinforcements perhaps with a timer that if you achieve the objectives within you get extra points? That way you have the incentive of achieving objectives ASAP but not the unrealistic instant cessation of the round.

Upvote 0
I agree I really dislike lockdown and I dislike the really short default time limits on the map it really detracts from the enjoyment to feel like your fighting the clock more than the other team. In real life you would be expected to get things done in a certain time BUT if you went over the ideal time you wouldn't suddenly vanish from existence along with all your reinforcements.

I think rounds should be decided by reinforcements perhaps with a timer that if you achieve the objectives within you get extra points? That way you have the incentive of achieving objectives ASAP but not the unrealistic instant cessation of the round.

Some servers, especially in DH mod had you fight until reinforcements ran out on one side. It will just depend on the map and what settings the server admins have.

Upvote 0
Get rid of lockdown, the simple answer is if the attacking team don't attack is they lose. If the attacking team is full of campers then they will camp wether there is a timer or not (Fallen Fighters anyone?) Its the only thing that bugs me about the gameplay oh and the lack of long rounds!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I LOVE Lockdown and here is why.

The short version: It's like the Mercy Rule in baseball.

Live with it a bit and it grows on you. Think of it like a tactical retreat. In the real battle there were constant retreats by both sides.

The Attackers have the opportunity to finish the game before its 15 something minute timelimit.
So should the defenders. Being a defender and seeing that 15 minutes and 200 reenforcements is kinda blah.

To bring it back to the OP's TF2 reference: HAVE you played dustbowl round 3?? It's horrid! 15 minutes of the defenders owning the attackers with Solder/Demo spam.
You don't want an OVERPOWERED defending team owning the attackers for 15 minutes. Most of the time it entails the server clearing several times and refilling with new people who are then owned by Defense somemore.

Lockdown is a GREAT thing. I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some people may think Lockdown is a great idea and that ending rounds early if the attackers make little progress is the best thing. But It's a well known fact that some people are mentally insane.

RO1 showed us that sometimes, even out of 4 caps, the first one or two may take 10-15 minutes to cap as the defenders are constantly worked by the attacking team who are looking for weak areas, and momentum through teamwork - which can't always happen straight away. The drawn-out firefights made RO1 awesome, and even when attacking players died near their spawn it just seemed to fire most of them up and eventually prod the defenders with a mighty war-cock.

Imo, rounds should last for at least 20 minutes (similar to RO1) and go until the reinforcements are dry. If the attacking army are desperate for an objective or location they surely wouldn't give up after 5 minutes even though they have 90% reinforcements left? It's really silly and takes a lot away from gameplay.

Lockdown belongs in a small locked-away cupboard with Piers Morgan.

Reactions: HLudwig
Upvote 0
Get rid of lockdown, the simple answer is if the attacking team don't attack is they lose. If the attacking team is full of campers then they will camp wether there is a timer or not (Fallen Fighters anyone?) Its the only thing that bugs me about the gameplay oh and the lack of long rounds!

Prepare for a lot of stalemates, lockdown is fine it's just too short by default in some situations.

Upvote 0
I'm not quite sure I understand your reason for liking it? It makes the defenders defend and attackers attack because that can't happen without a timer?

If you want forced, linear gameplay which feels rushed and not fun then play Countdown game mode but with territory what is the point of having the larger maps with flanks when basically they are still forcing you to rush an objective.

Someone made a good suggestion that just have reinforcements and give the team more if they capture an objective and that sounds like the best way to play territory.

Prepare for a lot of stalemates, lockdown is fine it's just too short by default in some situations.
Stalemates sounds good to me because you will always have a group who are trying to break said stalemate which is where the game gets interesting and this is more natural than just everyone madly rushing in because the lockdown is closing in 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Are you aware of the concept of war?

Stalemates happen and are usually only broken through tactical, and skilled team-play which believe it or not enhances the game ten-fold.

RO1 forced players to become good in-game fighting soldiers, Lockdown gives the baby whatever it wants when it starts to cry. Where is the challenge for an attacking team if they get to give up after 5 minutes? Where's the challenge for the defending team if they can last all of 5 minutes?

Anything that requires running and gunning, cuts down on play-time, and diminishes tactical skill is a bad thing imo.

Attackers are naturally disadvantaged as it is, why bring in a feature that would better serve a crap title?

Upvote 0
Just for the record i never said I liked it just I see its usefulness.In RO1 alot of times (years into the game) we only had a few good servers and matches that lasted 2 hours or more in 3 rounds.It wasn't like we could just switch servers.

I think a simple solution would be if the attackers begin to cap its resets the timer that way for a team that's at least trying wouldn't get locked out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you aware of the concept of war?

Stalemates happen and are usually only broken through tactical, and skilled team-play which believe it or not enhances the game ten-fold.

RO1 forced players to become good in-game fighting soldiers, Lockdown gives the baby whatever it wants when it starts to cry. Where is the challenge for an attacking team if they get to give up after 5 minutes? Where's the challenge for the defending team if they can last all of 5 minutes?

Anything that requires running and gunning, cuts down on play-time, and diminishes tactical skill is a bad thing imo.

Attackers are naturally disadvantaged as it is, why bring in a feature that would better serve a crap title?

I'm sorry, but in real life people are actually forced to listen to their superiors, ingame they do not have to do so. Stalemates are usually the result of nobody taking the objective.

Sometimes you can convince your team to actually do something, but a lot of times the teamwork is not going to happen and the stalemate turns into a boring game of shoot and get killed, not exactly gameplay I want to see even if it's realistic, it's still a game.

Lockdown atleast breaks such a situation forcing people to actually take the objective or lose. Sometimes the lockdown gives you not enough time, but there's also plenty of times where a fast pace of gameplay is actually a very realistic approach.

In real life combat really wasn't always as slow as it was in RO1, that much I do know.

Reactions: HLudwig
Upvote 0
Hi,
I read this forum for a long time, I'm a RO1/DH veteran, and I felt I had to register to give my opinion on this feature.

I think the lockdown kills the atmosphere, I don't feel like being in a battlefield but only participate in a game contest with short rounds.
This lockdown thing does not reward people who thinks, only those who sprint tirelessly to the capzone. All this makes me think that I'm just playing a video game like dozens of others in the market and I don't bother to play for that reason.
How can we realistically require to take a goal in 5 minutes ? This system transforms RO2 in an arcade game, and I have the impression I'm fighting against time/clock/chronometer than fighting against an enemy army.

Upvote 0
I will repeat:

In the many skirmishes of Stalingrad, both sides retreated...a LOT.

When an attack isn't going well, attackers very often retreat and regroup to fight another day.

Without Lockdown, this would NEVER happen in RO2. exactly 200 men would simply march to their deaths time and time again with no overarching strategy.

That's from a realism standpoint, now gameplay:

Many people find it VERY annoying being stuck on a losing team for a 15 minute match. Rounds should only last 15-20 minutes if both sides are doing well.

When one side does well and the other poorly, the stronger side should usually be rewarded with a victory.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but in real life people are actually forced to listen to their superiors, ingame they do not have to do so. Stalemates are usually the result of nobody taking the objective.

Sometimes you can convince your team to actually do something, but a lot of times the teamwork is not going to happen and the stalemate turns into a boring game of shoot and get killed, not exactly gameplay I want to see even if it's realistic, it's still a game.

Lockdown atleast breaks such a situation forcing people to actually take the objective or lose. Sometimes the lockdown gives you not enough time, but there's also plenty of times where a fast pace of gameplay is actually a very realistic approach.

In real life combat really wasn't always as slow as it was in RO1, that much I do know.

You say that lockdown forces a team to take an objective but it really doesn't the majority of the time, all it does is ends the game early as people haven't been able to get their butt in gear quick enough, now this isn't because they aren't capable of capturing the objective it is just most are used to actually having a little exchange of fire before making a move for an objective which may just last 5 minutes on occasion...

Upvote 0
I've put in a fair few hours but have no idea what lockdown is.. i see the timer now and again..

Can anyone explain exactly wtf lockdown is and how it works pls?

Thanks.

In Territory mode, you get an certain amount of time per objective to accomplish the objectives, those are called lockdown.

For instance, you have to complete the first objective in 4 mins. But mostly the attackers can't make it within that time frame to get to the cap zone. Especially in RedOctober.

Last edited:
Upvote 0